ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Atom - A new editor is born

<< < (6/10) > >>

phitsc:
I don't know why, but I really enjoy reading about why people choose the text editors they use.
 ;)

I think it has partly to do with the fact that it's just a text editor, lol.  It's supposed to be this very plain thing, yet there are so many complex options and features, etc. to consider and we get all passionate about them.  Same goes for other software, I suppose, but I really have fun with the text editors.
-superboyac (May 09, 2014, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's also due to the fact that editing text is one of a few key activities in many professions (at least of DC people). It's also one where it seems to be very apparent how it could be improved (although the specifics seem to be quite individual).

The one improvement important to me would be efficient navigation and selection within text. Home/End and Ctrl+Left/Right just doesn't cut it. It's also the main reason why I'm experimenting with VIM again.

I've read an interesting rant about text editors in general here and specifically about atom here yesterday, which makes some valid points to think about (it's in German, but I'm sure google translate can handle it). It made me check out the textadept web site which ewemoa had alread posted about but I had forgotten. After what I have read so far about atom I think checking out textadept or lime (a Sublime clone) would currently be a better time investment for me than trying to build atom (which I still haven't succeeded with).

Jibz:
I quite liked the idea of Textadept -- it's a bit like Sublime Text with Lua scripting instead of Python. It lacks the polish though, and on Windows it feels somewhat rough around the edges. Especially the text rendering was horrible (at least with my setup). I asked the author about it, but apparently it was a problem with GTK on Windows.

I don't know why, but I really enjoy reading about why people choose the text editors they use.
 ;)

I think it has partly to do with the fact that it's just a text editor, lol.  It's supposed to be this very plain thing, yet there are so many complex options and features, etc. to consider and we get all passionate about them.  Same goes for other software, I suppose, but I really have fun with the text editors.
-superboyac (May 09, 2014, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it's also due to the fact that editing text is one of a few key activities in many professions (at least of DC people). It's also one where it seems to be very apparent how it could be improved (although the specifics seem to be quite individual).

The one improvement important to me would be efficient navigation and selection within text. Home/End and Ctrl+Left/Right just doesn't cut it. It's also the main reason why I'm experimenting with VIM again.
-phitsc (May 10, 2014, 01:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 to both of you ;D

wraith808:
Hmmm... they say the windows version is 32-bit, but it has the 64-bit version of node.exe included, and some other things.

TaoPhoenix:
Well... think of anything you can do with text; write a story, code (in all it's myriad formats), populate a database or spreadsheet, take notes, keep lists, edit configuration files, etc.  I mean, there is so much to modern computing that plain text is still a vital, integral part of that it's almost impossible to think of something that can't be done better if only one had a more feature-ful text editor.  Personally, I need something that will edit config files and help me build playlists with equal aplomb, and if it can help me code efficiently, so much the better (though, IMHO the closer to an IDE any given text editor gets, the less useful as a plain text editor it is).
-Edvard (May 09, 2014, 09:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I second this one. I'll add that posting notes on boards like this is also text. And text is the middle ground that you can (try to) export into and then import something else. And it's "safe" - sometimes it looks slightly ugly, but it's almost impossible to bury anything really nasty in raw pure text. Whereas we don't go a month before something breaks in Flash, PDF, or Javascript.

Tuxman:
Why not Emacs?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version