ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Dropbox and privacy (or lack of)

<< < (4/5) > >>

dr_andus:
Besides, if you have no relationship with my business then what are you doing downloading my files?
-Innuendo (March 02, 2014, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I may be downloading your files because I am a potential customer, I am visiting your website, considering your business, and I may download some product spec PDF document that you have made public and which is hosted on the Dropbox for Business account. That is the scenario we are talking about.

Just because I have visited your website and downloaded your file, it doesn't mean that I want Dropbox to give you my name and email address without me even realising it. It's another thing if you tell me that you only let me download the file if I give you my details. Then at least I have the choice and can decide not to proceed.

And as app103 had described above, I may not even be knowingly downloading a file. It might be that I just happen to stumble upon your website and download an image file hosted on your Dropbox account, thus being tricked into sharing my name and email address with you.

Are you really happy to make your name and email address available to any website you visit or for every file you download from the internet?

tomos:
... so the only solution I can see here is to *not* have a dropbox account,
or,
become a business user -
an easy choice there when 'asked' under those conditions :-/

app103:
Besides, if you have no relationship with my business then what are you doing downloading my files?
-Innuendo (March 02, 2014, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

And as app103 had described above, I may not even be knowingly downloading a file. It might be that I just happen to stumble upon your website and download an image file hosted on your Dropbox account, thus being tricked into sharing my name and email address with you.
-dr_andus (March 02, 2014, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

If I were a Dropbox for Business user (which I am not), merely visiting this page would be enough to give me your name and email address. (That animated gif is served from my Dropbox account.)

Innuendo:
If I were a Dropbox for Business user (which I am not), merely visiting this page would be enough to give me your name and email address. (That animated gif is served from my Dropbox account.)
-app103 (March 02, 2014, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

And since I am not a Dropbox user at all, how are they going to obtain my email address and name to give to you? I guess I would have to be a Dropbox user and logged on to the Dropbox service at the time I visited your web page.

If one were to have the Dropbox service running on their PC and logged on 24/7 this might be a real concern, but I guess if enough people complain Dropbox will either change or people will go to other services. Dropbox has never been the most competitively priced or most privacy-minded service anyway.

rgdot:
Hundreds of Dropbox Passwords Leaked, Change Yours Now
A few hundred Dropbox usernames and passwords have leaked on Reddit, likely from a third-party app and possibly as part of a much larger breach. Time to change your passwords.

The leak, which contains hundreds of accounts with email addresses starting with the letter "b", come from an anonymous user taking Bitcoin donations for the full leak, which they claim consists of millions of accounts, according to The Next Web. We're not sure how old these credentials are or which third party app they came from, but no matter what, it's time to do the same old song and dance we're pretty used to by now
--- End quote ---

http://lifehacker.com/hundreds-of-dropbox-passwords-leaked-change-yours-now-1645982533

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version