topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: This is why you don't wear metal objects in an MRI Machine  (Read 3023 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is why you don't wear metal objects in an MRI Machine
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:30 AM »
Prior to patients entering a medical scanning room, they must be thoroughly screened for magnetic objects—including some earrings, belts, and early-model pacemakers.This is because MRI magnetic fields are incredibly strong.

However, accidents do happen. Through the years, reports of a brain aneurysm clip being dislodged, an oxygen tank hitting a patient in the head, and metallic fragments slicing patients have surfaced. Therefore, when a group of scientists heard about an MRI machine that was about to be decommissioned, they decided to create an educational video about the dangers of magnetic items near MRI machines. Check out the video from practiCalfMRI below.

Source: http://www.iflscienc...ems-near-mri-machine

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: This is why you don't wear metal objects in an MRI Machine
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Holy crap! That was cool!

Magnets can be incredibly dangerous. Especially permanent magnets... The force relationship is distance cubed.  :o
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Best thing about that video for me is the Scientists are clearly not giving any sort of crap about the scientific aspect of it...instead opting to just try destroy anything they can get their hands on, just for laughs haha

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 07:36 PM »
I think the demonstration would have hit home a little better if they took something like a Resusci-Annie or a crash test dummy that didn't have any metal in it, and put something metal inside like the size of a pacemaker or one of those pins they put in your knee or an earring or piercing in a, umm, strategic location... you get the picture.  Then patients and operators would understand the damage that can happen.

Otherwise, that was way cool.  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 08:47 PM »
I just had an MRI recently. My first. It was an...interesting experience. Glad they give you earplugs. There was one phase of the scan where I thought my eardrums were going to get pounded right out of my head. Even with the earplugs. :huh:

The only bad part was the funky/musty "old plastic" odor of that cage thing they wrap around your head. Reminded me of the smell you get with old pool toys - or from an old car where the interior vinyl has so much sun damage it's just oozing plasticizers. Took a few hours before that scent was completely out of my nose.

Small price to pay in exchange for a non-invasive scan that tells the doctors virtually everything they need to know. :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:55 PM by 40hz »