topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sorting mp3/audio files into a folder hierarchy based on their tag information.  (Read 4509 times)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hello, I've a large music collection which I used to be very anal about keeping in check :) however a couple of months ago I lost my hard disk collection and had the recover the files from my Nomad Zen (which I then promptly lost but thats another story). I had painstakingly setup all the artist tags when copying the music to my Zen initially and when copying the music back off to the computer it neatly organized files into folders according to artists names.

Since then I been using the excellent musikCube and have been slowly but gradually been correcting album titles, genres, etc. Now I'm wondering is there an easy way to replicate the organization of the tags in the folder structure. For example if a program could look at a file and organize it such as <root folder>\<artist>\<album>\<artist>-<title>.mp3 but ideally this would be customizable.

Ideally this organization would be "in place" such that two copies of the files wouldn't be created but this is not a necessity. Also a level of robustness would be nice such that if a file doesn't have an album tag then it would be placed as follows <root folder>\<artist>\<artist>-<title>.mp3

Anyone know of a program which does this? I could probably write it myself if I knew a neat way of reading the tag information.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
must be some programs that do this..
look forward to finding out about some myself.

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not sure but I think MediaMonkey would do this.

Jeff

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Automatically organize and rename files on your hard drive into a logical hierarchy. Instead of storing your files haphazardly all over your hard drive, MediaMonkey's auto-organizer can organize them into folders and filenames of your choice based on attributes such as artist, album, track title and track number.

If you need to organize a music collection exceeding 10,000 files, MediaMonkey is the music organizer for you.

That certainly sounds like what I want, I'll give it a twirl as soon as I can.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm after using Media Monkey (Free version) to both sort out the remaining songs which I hadn't tagged correctly and then sort them into folders and I must say it worked like a charm. Thank you JeffK for pointing me to it :Thmbsup: .