topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Netflix Mocks Amazon's Drone Delivery with Video!  (Read 10349 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Netflix Mocks Amazon's Drone Delivery with Video!
« on: February 25, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Netflix published (I think!) a video that mocks Amazon's recent drone delivery promotion with a You Tube video titled "Netflix Drone2Home". Hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucz3JpvDQjk

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Netflix Mocks Amazon's Drone Delivery with Video!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Can't wait to see the comeback where Netflix gets ridiculed for voluntarily paying off Comcast for what amounts to a network shortcut to stream Netflix to Comcast customers. (This even though Comcast denies it ever throttled Netflix - and furthermore, insists this deal doesn't get Netflix any preferential treatment from them. Yeah right! :/) )
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:06 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Can't wait to see the comeback where Netflix gets ridiculed for voluntarily paying off Comcast for what amounts to a network shortcut to stream Netflix to Comcast customers. (This even though Comcast denies it ever throttled Netflix - and furthermore, insists this deal doesn't get Netflix any preferential treatment from them. Yeah right! :/) )

:Thmbsup: +1!  Again a zinger from 40hz... and not a picture in sight! :P

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 02:30 PM »

I'm not sure voluntarily is entirely accurate considering Comcast had a lot more leverage. On one hand I'm sure Comcast's customers knew exactly who was to blame for the problems. OTOH there's not a damn thing they (or Netflix) can do about it. The government is firmly on Comcast's side, a handful of vocal but impotent individuals aside.

At the same time I still think it was a mistake which will result in little or no short term gain and put them on the wrong (and losing) side of the net neutrality war when the cable television industry goes down in flames in a few years. This will give them the sort of competitive advantage that sucks the ability to compete right out of a company.

Of course there's plenty of short sightedness to go around in the online video market. I think Google made an even bigger mistake when they sold off Motorola Mobility's set-top box business. For just a couple billion dollars they gave up access to half the cable customers in the US.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 02:35 PM »
The government is firmly on Comcast's side, a handful of vocal but impotent individuals aside.

This.  +1000

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 03:01 PM »
In keeping with 40Hz's request to avoid knee-jerk cynicism, I momentarily put aside my wanton desire to attack all things corporate and found this explanation of why it isn't necessarily complete evil and doom for the consumer:

Inside The Netflix/Comcast Deal and What The Media Is Getting Very Wrong

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 03:26 PM »
No knee jerking required. He's full of it. Okay maybe a little knee jerking because I'm not an expert on the technology involved so someone please chime in if I'm getting this wrong.

First, this isn't actually a peering deal. They're calling it that to make it look like something other than extortion on paper.

Peering agreements are the responsibility of the network provider, not the server operator. As he points out, a third party provides Netflix for network services. If there weren't already peering deals in place to cover the traffic coming from Netflix it wouldn't be getting to Comcast customers in the first place.

There's also a big lie in there disguised as a fact where he mentions the Open Connect program. That's where Netflix puts there content servers inside the cable company's network so the traffic doesn't have to cross those external connection points. I'm not sure exactly who is responsible for what operationally but I'm guessing the cable company gets paid to maintain the servers. Their VOD techs should already have the requisite skillset or something close to it.

The thing is Comcast has refused to participate in that program specifically because it would kill their argument that Netflix traffic causes congestion on the external links. It's a nonsensical argument to begin with since Comcast's subscribers are already paying for that but it disappears entirely if they go down that road.

Here's the good side though. The reality is there's a limited and shrinking future for consumer broadband to be profitable. The big profits today are in commercial network services. As the market pushes prices down to Earth, and it's starting already, albeit slowly, the big money will continue to shift to network services and local video hosting will likely be the biggest growth market because that's the most economical solution for everyone from international telecoms all the way down.

The longer Comcast waits to accept that and start adapting, the further behind the industry they're going to be when they pull their heads out of their backsides. Right now they probably have enough loose change in their seat cushions to get the ball rolling without any problems. If they wait until they're forced to do it things won't be nearly as pretty.
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:58 PM by Vurbal »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 04:32 PM »
^Well...it might not be extortion so much as it's mutual accommodation, to wit: let's you and me make it look like I'm caving when we're actually setting up an arrangement that helps squeeze out the competition for paid streaming media without giving the Feds grounds to get involved.

Truth is, I don't quite trust Netflix about this... Especially when you consider how suddenly they shut up and dropped their whole throttling argument. And they haven't been too vocal on neutrality either.

With the net "neutrality" issue still up for grabs (and not likely to be resolved one way or another for at least another year) why cut such a deal now? Although the outcome is fairly predictable (with this government) - it's still not a completely done deal.

Methinks a deeper game's afoot. :-\

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Well as the update I snuck in while you were posting mentions, Netflix has been negotiating with Comcast to get their servers inside the network for months now. I don't think they're too worried about competition at the moment, but I definitely agree it will eventually turn into leverage against it down the road.
- The MC5

- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 06:50 PM »
I personally thing we're looking at an acquisition in the not too distant future.  Yay us.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 10:26 PM »
I personally thing we're looking at an acquisition in the not too distant future.  Yay us.

NOOOOoooooooo!!!!

[attach=#1][/attach]

Jim

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 05:27 PM »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 11:47 AM »
For some reason I started reading that in Walter Cronkite's voice and didn't make it past the first frame before erupting into maniacal laughter - When did Renegade start doing cartoons?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 12:19 PM »
He does have some real zingers sometimes :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 01:57 PM »
Seriously! It'd be dull without Ren around. ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 03:53 PM »
Oh, I meant the guy at cad-comic.com.  It's mostly about the gaming industry, but he does mix it up with tangential stuff.

... but, yeah, Ren too :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Oh...sorry...I though Stoic meant the comic was posted on Ren's blog. ;D

Ain't English a great language. "Start doing" is such a context dependent phrase... ;)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 06:56 AM »
Actually I was just drawing attention to the similarities between Ren and the cartoon author's style in the opening line. Not too many people will go there straight out of the gate. But then again I appreciate the somewhat ironically conflicting imagery...as some things really cannot be done "gently".

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 08:38 AM »
^Yup! Got it.

And yeah...the word choice is definitely (to coin a term) 'Ren-like.' ;D