ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My pop/imap Android experience

<< < (5/7) > >>

superboyac:
@SB- I've never mixed using POP and IMAP protocols for the same email account. I don't think it should make a difference (other than anything sent from POP won't replicate on the email server since POP is essentially a one-way street) ...but again I've never done that.
 (see attachment in previous post)
FWIW, the settings I'm using for GMail are as follows. They're pretty generic.:

ID & password same as always. (i.e. {name}@gmail.com)

Inbound server   = imap.googlemail.com | SSL/TLS | Authentication=Normal Password | Port = 993
Outbound server = smtp.googlemail.com | SSL/TLS | Authentication=Normal Password / Port = 465

I understand imap.gmail.com & smtp.gmail.com also work as the server names.

See anything different from your settings? :o
-40hz (February 26, 2014, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that seems like my setup too.  I'm starting to think my problem is different.  I could possibly have an issue with spam that recently has come up, or I may have fiddled with some app settings I don't remember.  It's hard to screw up the account setup because if it's wrong you don't get mail, so it's basically binary.  I'm starting to rule that out now.

4wd:
I use K9 on my phone to access an account via IMAP and Thunderbird POP3 to the same account via my computer.

No problems at all and have done for about 4 years.

Some emails might be marked as Junk in Thunderbird but that's a result of Thunderbirds Bayesian filtering - nothing to do with whether K9 has read it first or not.

Mind you, I'm still using Thunderbird 10.0.2, (the one before they @%^$#%^ the interface).

tomos:
If your settings seem fine your best bet may be to blow them away entirely (you may want to export them from the main screen first) and set it up from scratch as a new account. In my experience not only is that usually the fastest solution (with any email client, not just K9), but sometimes it's the only thing that works.
-Vurbal (February 26, 2014, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
-
I tried out imap (EM client) on my desktop for the first time lately - the account was acting funny and this was the advice I got from support. It's working fine now.

FWIW, I run it side by side on my desktop** with Thunderbird which is using pop3. I also use EM/IMAP alone on a second machine. Didnt seem to cause any problems (beyond the initial - solved as Vurbal recommends) but tbh I still mainly use Thunderbird or gmail on the web..

** EDIT/ clarification - I use one or the other, not both simultaneously

Deozaan:
I don't really even care if the GMail app has all the features I want or need because Android's sync model makes it a non-starter for me. Until getting my new tablet I hadn't used Android (or any mobile OS) for a couple years but I'm sure my old phone (running 2.2.2 or 2.2.3) gave me a lot more granular control over sync operations. On my Samsung tablet (running 4.2.2) the only options are to either sync everything related to my Google account or nothing. Naturally I choose nothing.-Vurbal (February 26, 2014, 10:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds like something Samsung has customized the OS with. The "vanilla" Android experience offers you plenty of customization about what to sync or not. Here's a small sample of a few of the choices on my Android device (found in Settings -> Accounts -> Google):

My pop/imap Android experience

I'd only use vanilla Android or a custom ROM like CyanogenMod. All the other providers muck up the OS with awful customizations that ruin the experience.

superboyac:
OK, I have some answers now.  Not completely solved, but progress:

For the phone, the K9 client works much better with imap than with pop for gmail.  I don't know why, I remember gmail pop working ok with it previously.  But imap is working really well.  Part of it has to do with the complexity of K9's configuration of folders (1st/2nd class).

Secondly, for the desktop Bat client, I believe somehow my antispam sniper plugin got broken or something, because it was detecting a lot of messages coming in with blank header fields, so the messages were sent to spam.  in the spam folder, the full messages were there.  weird.  i don't know if this has something to do with imap and only reading header fields or something.  whatever it is, it's not fixed yet, but the problem is with antispam sniper.

The other problem has something to do with gmail.  When a message comes in, it shows up in the inbox.  When you reply to it, it disappears from the inbox, and now both messages (original + reply) show up in the "sent mail" folder.  I don't like that.  I want the original in the inbox, and just my reply in sent mail.  I'll have to check that out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version