ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My pop/imap Android experience

<< < (3/7) > >>

Stoic Joker:
The bottom line is if the average person wants to have a smooth and user friendly experience with either a Microsoft or Google mail client connecting to a server from the other company they should expect to pay extra for it. That's not because there's something irregular about Google's IMAP implementation or Microsoft's Active Sync servers. It's simply a thinly veiled passive aggressive anti-competition strategy on both sides. Neither is representative of the email client experience beyond their specific ecosystems.-Vurbal (February 25, 2014, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed. That's why I stick with MonkeyShaft and stay the hell out of G-World. Otherwise it's to much like trying to figure out the right way to mix gun powder by candle light.

Stoic Joker:
I didn't run into that on my iPhone. I told it to provision a new email account, selected GMail from the list presented, entered my existing address and password, and it defaulted to an IMAP set-up without being told. Apparently if you've set your GMail account up to use IMAP, the iPhone mail client is smart enough to figure it out.-40hz (February 25, 2014, 02:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

And, unless things have changed when I wasn't paying attention, it's equally simple to setup ActiveSync for a Microsoft server.-Vurbal (February 25, 2014, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

That would be my experience as well.

Not by coincidence Apple doesn't give a rat's ass whose servers are on the other end. They mostly just want to make the technology as invisible as possible.-Vurbal (February 25, 2014, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

:D Nailed it! :D They have no backend systems of their own to fight for...they'll happily just stick it anywhere.

CWuestefeld:
Just curious, since it seems you've already got your mail in gmail, what does the gmail client app lack that K9 is giving you?

40hz:
Just curious, since it seems you've already got your mail in gmail, what does the gmail client app lack that K9 is giving you?
-CWuestefeld (February 25, 2014, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Local message folder storage and offline capabilities.

Of the two, local data storage is probably the most important considering Google's record for abrupt terminations of product offerings and the frequent changes made to their TOS.

I doubt Google would play games with something as established and major as GMail. But you never know when it comes to Google.

superboyac:
-CWuestefeld (February 25, 2014, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Local message folder storage and offline capabilities.

Of the two, local data storage is probably the most important considering Google's record for abrupt terminations of product offerings and the frequent changes made to their TOS.

I doubt Google would play games with something as established and major as GMail. But you never know when it comes to Google.
-40hz (February 26, 2014, 08:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I changed it to pop and I can't say it has fixed anything.  I have messed something up but I don't know what.  Or I'm not setting up K9 properly.  And I don't know what's happening to my desktop client (Bat).  It could also be my antispam software.  I don't know.

The other part of the problem is I've been paying less attention to my personal computing ecosystem, so there's that. Not that I changed anything.  But I don't know.  I'm so busy now I don't know what's going on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version