ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Against TED talks

<< < (8/14) > >>

Renegade:
It's much more fun being the abattoir in the middle of the town square.
-Renegade (March 17, 2014, 01:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hm-m-m.

A bit of selft-flattery there? 
While I don't disagree with some of your points, you seem inclined to throw the baby out with the bath. 
Not overly fond of TED, nor many of the sponsors, but that does not invalidate all the content.

-barney (March 17, 2014, 02:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not self flattery at all. I'm merely acknowledging that I have no bedside manner.

And I was pretty explicit about there being some excellent material presented at TED.

I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath water... I'm asking if there's some sort of toxic weaponry destined for some sinister use in the stroller/diaper bag.

@Ren - with all due respect, I think many - if not most of us here - are perfectly capable of seeing things and connecting the dots. -40hz (March 17, 2014, 03:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

No argument there.

It's just that some of us are a little more discriminating and careful when it comes to inferring causation or correlation.-40hz (March 17, 2014, 03:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess I'm just far more suspicious than most. ;)

If a person stares at a field of dots long enough they can eventually see anything they want to see. -40hz (March 17, 2014, 03:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I could go on forever with examples. I simply don't have the time. Sorry. I wish I did.

But "seeing something" doesn't automatically make it true. -40hz (March 17, 2014, 03:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sure. There are "illusions". Now please point out to me how forcibly sterilizing women (or supporting organizations that do that) is an illusion. ;)

Again, the examples are endless. I've pointed out many in the Basement.

And just because someone doesn't see things the way somebody else does (or chooses to reserve judgement for the present) doesn't mean they're stupid, craven, negligent, or wilfully blind.
-40hz (March 17, 2014, 03:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I never accused anyone here of being stupid, craven, negligent, or willfully blind.

But I sure as Hell am accusing some "foundations" of being craven and outright evil. ;)

I gave your previous two posts a slow reread. And after careful re-consideration, I still don't think I have. Guess we'll need to agree to disagree on this point.  :)
-Renegade (March 17, 2014, 01:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sure. I still think you're wrong though. I've not pushed much of an agenda unless you call condemning evil an agenda. So, in that aspect - you're perfectly correct.

You already know what I think, and it seems to me like you're coloring what I have above there with that.

I only meant to come out on the attack, and didn't attempt to offer any "solutions/agendas".

Then again, we could both be off-base there and considering different issues to lead us into a lovely red herring. Wouldn't be the first time.

Speaking of herrings...

Silliness aside...

I'm still not sure what part of what I had above there was "an agenda"... If you could be a bit more explicit about what I wrote, then I might understand a bit better.

tomos:
I can put up with almost anything TED does so long as presentations like this one hit the widest possible audience.
-40hz (March 15, 2014, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

And it's dripping with agenda...

Any time someone comes out saying "think of all the poor/starving/children/women/whatf*ckingever", I want to puke. The vast majority of the time it's an agenda and when you start following things back, it's the exact opposite of what it looks like. "I am Ukrainian" was a good example of a psyop. F*ck that.

I watched the entire video. And it looks cool, but the agenda there makes me question what's going on. Some people are just pawns...

My distrust of TED has only grown deeper.

If TED disappeared, the world would be a much better place.
-Renegade (March 16, 2014, 11:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Atacking TED and saying you suspect it because of it's sponsers is fair enough.
But for me, and others I suspect, the problem here is that you explicitly attack this particular video, with no real reason, with no backing for your 'dripping with agenda' claim. And that's how you lauch into the topic.
Meh.

Curt:
Not overly fond of TED, nor many of the sponsors, but that does not invalidate all the content.-barney (March 17, 2014, 02:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

^yes, it does.

God stated it already some 3.000 years ago in Job's Book in the Bible;
if the heart of a story is a lie, then all of the story is a lie.

There may be very little in life where I agree with Renegade, but TED is one.

barney:
if the heart of a story is a lie, then all of the story is a lie.
-Curt (March 17, 2014, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

To my mind, TED is many stories.  One (1) of them being a lie does not make every other one (1) a lie.  And, since lie is often a matter of perception, what seems a lie to me may not seem so to you or others.

40hz:
Not overly fond of TED, nor many of the sponsors, but that does not invalidate all the content.-barney (March 17, 2014, 02:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

^yes, it does.

if the heart of a story is a lie, then all of the story is a lie. -Curt (March 17, 2014, 09:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unless that story itself is a lie.

Note: not saying it is or isn't. Just doing it to illustrate how careful you have to be with overly broad assertions, snap judgements, or assumptions that we all agree what "the real story" is.  

There may be very little in life where I agree with Renegade, but TED is one.

--- End quote ---

In my case it's more that there's probably very few times where I don't agree with Renegade, but his assessment and characterization of TED is one of those very few times.
 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version