ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Against TED talks

<< < (2/14) > >>

Edvard:
Don't get me wrong - I think the basic intent of TED is/was a good one, and I have seen some I like, but the most poignant line from the first Onion talk is the most applicable to my current opinion of TED as a whole:
"I'll be your visionary, and you do the things I come up with."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/idea-man
 :-\

Target:
gotta say I think you're going at it all wrong - TED is not a cornucopia of ideas, solutions, or answers to all the worlds questions, it's just people talking.

In some cases they're peddling their political views or some thinly veiled advertisement, other the stories are exciting or inspiring (for any number of reasons). 

But they're just stories.  Take what you can use, and discard the rest

Edvard:
TED is not a cornucopia of ideas, solutions, or answers to all the worlds questions, it's just people talking.
--- End quote ---

Exactly.  Why it's upheld as a forum for exactly that (the cornucopia thing) is more and more beyond me.

But they're just stories.  Take what you can use, and discard the rest
--- End quote ---

I did, but I was bugged by the nagging feeling that it shouldn't be so.  The way TED talks were constantly being extolled, i felt as if I should be slack-jawed in awe of these near-immortals who can blow my mind with paradigm-shifting plans to feed the world, travel to other planets and optimize bubble-sort algorithms, and sing loudly the praises of the organization who discovered these pioneering hyper-humans and trotted them out on a stage for my adoration.  But I wasn't, and I'm not.  I found a few of them interesting, but certainly not life-changing, mind-blowing, or anything else.  

Maybe I'm making more out of this thing than it deserves, but I posted because I was just a little tickled to find I wasn't alone in my sentiment.
That's all, really. :-[

Target:
Exactly.  Why it's upheld as a forum for exactly that (the cornucopia thing) is more and more beyond me.-Edvard (February 26, 2014, 12:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

probably for the same reason that best sellers are, well, best sellers  ;)

I think that has more to do with the people who are 'extolling it's virtues' than it does to TED itself (perhaps it's a bit like the apple thing...)

barney:
(perhaps it's a bit like the apple thing...)
-Target (February 26, 2014, 12:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Which one?  Steve Jobs', or Eve's?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version