ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why my Win7 suddenly goes amnesiac?

(1/3) > >>

lanux128:
I am running Win 7 Pro 64-bit with an admin level account. At times I would drag a url shortcut from the desktop on to the browser window but the action would fail silently, causing much frustration. I have to exit the browser and relaunch in admin mode for the drag-n-drop to be successful. the same goes if i am trying to interact between an explorer window and totalcmd window.

my uac setting is at default so why do the apps lapse into non-admin mode? does anyone else experience this situation?

MilesAhead:
I don't remember having that issue in W7.  But I don't drag urls on often.  I had my UAC slider all the way down though.  I believe I took ownership of the Program Files trees in W7 as I have in W8.  Otherwise it just hampers me too much.

Stoic Joker:
Win7 x64/Admin here :D

I am running Win 7 Pro 64-bit with an admin level account.-lanux128 (February 23, 2014, 02:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry about chopping this up so much, but minutia can be really important with this kind of stuff.

So you are logged in with an account that is a member of the local administrators group (which would include Domain Admins)... Yes?

At times I would drag a url shortcut from the desktop on to the browser window but the action would fail silently, causing much frustration.-lanux128 (February 23, 2014, 02:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can't honestly say I've ever tried doing that. But I did try it just now and received a would you like to save or open link prompt from IE.

I have to exit the browser and relaunch in admin mode for the drag-n-drop to be successful. the same goes if i am trying to interact between an explorer window and totalcmd window.-lanux128 (February 23, 2014, 02:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, this part is starting to make sense, if you are running an alternate shell as admin it's not supposed to work because DnD does not work between sessions. I frequently trip myself up with this when editing system files. If I run notepad as admin, then drag a file from desktop/explorer and drop it in notepad, nothing will happen because they're both in separate sessions.

my uac setting is at default so why do the apps lapse into non-admin mode? does anyone else experience this situation?
-lanux128 (February 23, 2014, 02:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Even domain administrator accounts (and their shell's) run with restricted user level permissions when UAC is enabled. So any system level changes require selecting run as admin or clicking yes/ok on a UAC prompt at some point. So if something is being run as admin it will be in a different session and therefore not available to interact directly with other non elevated applications.

MilesAhead:
You might find this useful:
Take Ownership Context Menu Shortcut

lanux128:
You might find this useful:
Take Ownership Context Menu Shortcut-MilesAhead (February 23, 2014, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
thanks MilesAhead, i knew about this tweak but didn't see the need for it. i might give it a whirl and see if it solves the drag-n-drop issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version