ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

REQ: HTPC Util - Move tv shows older than 24 hours to external HD

<< < (4/5) > >>

wraith808:
The key to understanding regex is realizing they are 20% knowledge, 70% experience (including, but not limited to your own), and 10% voodoo - except when they are 100% impossible. Unfortunately determining which formula applies is, in many cases, pure guess work.-Vurbal (February 23, 2014, 01:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I currently work on the ratios of: 60% Search, 40% Voodoo = 100% WTF  :huh:
-4wd (February 23, 2014, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had 99 problems... then I gave users access to the regex functionality, and now I have 127 problems.

... that's a true story.

superboyac:
The key to understanding regex is realizing they are 20% knowledge, 70% experience (including, but not limited to your own), and 10% voodoo - except when they are 100% impossible. Unfortunately determining which formula applies is, in many cases, pure guess work.-Vurbal (February 23, 2014, 01:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I currently work on the ratios of: 60% Search, 40% Voodoo = 100% WTF  :huh:
-4wd (February 23, 2014, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had 99 problems... then I gave users access to the regex functionality, and now I have 127 problems.

... that's a true story.
-wraith808 (February 23, 2014, 09:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
:D
that's hilarious.  so true.  with great power comes great responsibility!!

famewolf:
See if this screencast helps to explain things a bit:

Flash version: http://skwire.dcmembers.com/apps/file_punter/sc/file_punter_regex_01.swf
MP4 version: http://skwire.dcmembers.com/apps/file_punter/sc/file_punter_regex_01.mp4
-skwire (February 23, 2014, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! You definetly went way above and beyond...even expanding past what I asked for (I tried to keep it as simple as possible and figured I would try to tweak it later on).....I can follow your instructions and can even see how I could adapt them for my movies folder to do a similar job.   The only thing I might have issues with is if I use copy I still need to clean up the from dir at some point.

I can't thank you enough...and I think that tutorial will be of use to others that want to use file punter!   One question.....if I only wanted to get the files that are 24 hours old or more how would I go about that...obviously the program itself isn't going to do it unless there is a regex to check for date modified.  If I had shows in sub folders I could also recurse and they would also get organized...I wonder would it work if the from and to were the same directory just to organize the files?  This is more directed at the movie folder where each movie could be in it's own folder.  Sorry if I asked something obvious and thanks again for your patience and willingness to share knowledge.

:Thmbsup:

skwire:
Wow! You definetly went way above and beyond...even expanding past what I asked for (I tried to keep it as simple as possible and figured I would try to tweak it later on).....I can follow your instructions and can even see how I could adapt them for my movies folder to do a similar job.-famewolf (February 23, 2014, 11:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Right on.  I'm glad you found it useful.

The only thing I might have issues with is if I use copy I still need to clean up the from dir at some point.-famewolf (February 23, 2014, 11:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Of course.  I just suggested that until you got your feet wet with what File Punter can do.

One question.....if I only wanted to get the files that are 24 hours old or more how would I go about that...obviously the program itself isn't going to do it unless there is a regex to check for date modified.-famewolf (February 23, 2014, 11:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unless there is date information in the text string you're matching, you're pretty much on your own in this regard.

I wonder would it work if the from and to were the same directory just to organize the files?-famewolf (February 23, 2014, 11:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

I would highly recommend against using the same folder for source and destiation.

I'll assume you have a dedicated download folder of some sort.  Given that, I'd have two additional folders dedicated to being a source and a destination.  Then, I'd process them like this:

* Move some files from your download folder into the source folder.
* Run your File Punter routines.
* Double-check your destination folder for accuracy.
* Manually merge the destination folder contents with your final storage area (file server, etc.)
Sorry if I asked something obvious and thanks again for your patience and willingness to share knowledge.-famewolf (February 23, 2014, 11:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're welcome.  I'm glad to help.

BTW, you might want to check out TheRenamer.  IMHO, it's the best TV show renamer out there.  I use it myself.  It also does movies, but I don't use it for that.  Anyway, you might find it easier to use than File Punter for your needs.

famewolf:
Well I tried the program and I ran into a few issues....I took some screenshots to demonstrate......

In Screenshot 1 you'll see I filled in the info the process the files.  One deviation is I DID choose to recurse directories.
In Screenshot 2 you'll see the results of the simulation.
In Screenshot 3 you'll see the entry shown.  Problem 1 occured when I attempted to resize the columns to display the full information....the columns in question went blank and I couldn't get the data back...reloading the program didn't help as the following info will confirm.
In Screenshot 4 you'll see I closed out the program entirely and reloaded it.  I had previously done save.  When it reloaded the entry with regex was gone.
I re-entered all the information from Screenshot 1 and skipped the simulation...I changed the bottom entry to use Move instead of simulation.   I put a checkbox next to the entry I had added (and saved again) and I told it to run....it showed that it was processing the bitten file and then showed me screenshot 5.   In screenshot 5 if you look closely at the title bar you will see it says File Punter ERROR...but no information is apparent of what the error is.....the program appears hung as you can't close it...minimize or maximize it...get any of the menu buttons to respond etc.......I eventually went into task manager and killed the process.....upon reloading the program I was once again shown a blank screen with the entry I added lost.  The file did in fact move from C: to X: under a Bitten Folder and a Season 01....I don't know if it had issues with the fact Bitten folder already existed at the destination and I note the old Bitten folder on C: is still there but a utility called "DirClean" would handle deleting empty folders.  At this point I'm stumped how to make this work if the entry is going to be lost...if it kept the entry I could trigger task manager to run it daily and use a program called ClickOff to press the button to initiate the move.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version