topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: REQ: HTPC Util - Move tv shows older than 24 hours to external HD  (Read 12951 times)

famewolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I know there have to be programs that already do this but the ones I looked at seem to loose folders as they do the copying.  In a nutshell I have a directory of tv shows and a directory of movies on C drive.....they get recorded and converted to mkv on this drive because it's a local drive and the transfer speeds are much faster but after everything is settled I'd like to move them to a USB HD with more space...the catch is if they are in folders by tv show I'd like them to STAY that way...and in an ideal world if they are NOT in a folder by tv show in the copy process it would create one and bundle them up but thats just wishful thinking.  Some sample filenames are:

Elementary-S02E13-All in the Family.mkv  Elementary-S02E13-All in the Family.srt  Elementary-S02E15-Corpse de Ballet.mkv
Elementary-S02E13-All in the Family.nfo  Elementary.S02E14.HDTV.x264-LOL.mp4      Elementary.S02E15.HDTV.x264-LOL.mp4

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E02-Trust Me.mkv        Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E05-Heart of Stone.srt
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E02-Trust Me.nfo        Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E06-Who's Alice.mkv
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E02-Trust Me.srt        Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E06-Who's Alice.nfo
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E03-Forget Me Not.mkv   Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E06-Who's Alice.srt
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E03-Forget Me Not.nfo   Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E07-Bad Blood.mkv
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E03-Forget Me Not.srt   Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E07-Bad Blood.nfo
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E04-The Serpent.mkv     Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E07-Bad Blood.srt
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E04-The Serpent.nfo     Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E08-Home.mkv
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E04-The Serpent.srt     Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E08-Home.nfo
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E05-Heart of Stone.mkv  Once Upon a Time in Wonderland-S01E08-Home.srt

As you can see each show COULD have a ( .mkv OR mp4 ) .. a .srt and a .nfo.....I have similar folders/files for Movies.  If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be appreciative.  I like the file2folder app but it did not appear to bundle while ignoring extension nor allow me to bundle based on showname...typically seperated from the rest of the filename by a dash ( - ) or a period ( . ) or another method would be the part of the filename before SxxExx.  Thanks for your time reading this.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: REQ: HTPC Util - Move tv shows older than 24 hours to external HD
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 01:56 AM »
The RegEx capabilities in my File Punter app could probably accomplish what you want.

famewolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 12:11 PM »
The RegEx capabilities in my File Punter app could probably accomplish what you want.

Thank you!   I'll give it a try.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Holler if you need help.   ;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 05:07 PM »
there are probably tools available for this already:
check out hygeia
http://www.purllow.com/

syncovery
http://www.syncovery.com/

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 05:09 PM »
well this is handy! the software i mentioned can't really do these things, especially the finding of certain files and dynamically creating new folders based on stuff.  nice, as always.

famewolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 05:25 PM »
The program is remarkable and I'm sure will eventually do everything I wanted.  Unfortunately I feel like a dog trying to learn trigonometry when it comes to regex...will have to spend some time learning it online but will get there eventually.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 06:11 PM »
RegEx can be daunting, for sure, so I'm happy to help with some examples to get you started.  Just say the word...   :)

famewolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Well using the sample filenames above I did some googling and found a sample regex of

"^((?<series_name>.+?)[. _-]+)?s(?<season_num>\d+)[. _-]*e(?<ep_num>\d+)(([. _-]*e|-)(?<extra_ep_num>(?!(1080|720)[pi])\d+))*[. _-]*((?<extra_info>.+?)((?<![. _-])-(?<release_group>[^-]+))?)?$"

I however have no idea how to convert that so that c:\fromdir\Showname.S01E01.whatever.mp4 ends up in c:\todir\Showname\
I see the box that is checkng for . _ or - before sxxexx but after that I feel like Vanna White when nobody gets a letter.  :tellme:

In the program page I see it referencing c:\tmp\??1 without understanding where it's getting the value for ??1 from.

I'm referring to this pic:
http://skwire.dcmembers.com/apps/file_punter/img/main.png

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 07:38 PM »
I'll make you a screencast.   :)
* skwire watches mouser faint...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 09:19 PM »
RegEx can be daunting, for sure, so I'm happy to help with some examples to get you started.  Just say the word...   :)
regex is so daunting that even when i tried the tool to make it easy, like regex buddy or magic, i still couldn't do it.  lol!!

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 01:14 PM »
The key to understanding regex is realizing they are 20% knowledge, 70% experience (including, but not limited to your own), and 10% voodoo - except when they are 100% impossible. Unfortunately determining which formula applies is, in many cases, pure guess work.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 02:00 PM »
I'm going to work on this screencast right now.  Stay tuned.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 05:49 PM »
The key to understanding regex is realizing they are 20% knowledge, 70% experience (including, but not limited to your own), and 10% voodoo - except when they are 100% impossible. Unfortunately determining which formula applies is, in many cases, pure guess work.

I currently work on the ratios of: 60% Search, 40% Voodoo = 100% WTF  :huh:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 07:35 PM »
See if this screencast helps to explain things a bit:

Flash version: http://skwire.dcmemb..._punter_regex_01.swf
MP4 version: http://skwire.dcmemb..._punter_regex_01.mp4

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 09:46 PM »

I had 99 problems... then I gave users access to the regex functionality, and now I have 127 problems.

... that's a true story.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 09:49 PM »

I had 99 problems... then I gave users access to the regex functionality, and now I have 127 problems.

... that's a true story.
:D
that's hilarious.  so true.  with great power comes great responsibility!!

famewolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 11:42 PM »
See if this screencast helps to explain things a bit:

Flash version: http://skwire.dcmemb..._punter_regex_01.swf
MP4 version: http://skwire.dcmemb..._punter_regex_01.mp4

Wow! You definetly went way above and beyond...even expanding past what I asked for (I tried to keep it as simple as possible and figured I would try to tweak it later on).....I can follow your instructions and can even see how I could adapt them for my movies folder to do a similar job.   The only thing I might have issues with is if I use copy I still need to clean up the from dir at some point.

I can't thank you enough...and I think that tutorial will be of use to others that want to use file punter!   One question.....if I only wanted to get the files that are 24 hours old or more how would I go about that...obviously the program itself isn't going to do it unless there is a regex to check for date modified.  If I had shows in sub folders I could also recurse and they would also get organized...I wonder would it work if the from and to were the same directory just to organize the files?  This is more directed at the movie folder where each movie could be in it's own folder.  Sorry if I asked something obvious and thanks again for your patience and willingness to share knowledge.

:Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 12:17 AM »
Wow! You definetly went way above and beyond...even expanding past what I asked for (I tried to keep it as simple as possible and figured I would try to tweak it later on).....I can follow your instructions and can even see how I could adapt them for my movies folder to do a similar job.

Right on.  I'm glad you found it useful.

The only thing I might have issues with is if I use copy I still need to clean up the from dir at some point.

Of course.  I just suggested that until you got your feet wet with what File Punter can do.

One question.....if I only wanted to get the files that are 24 hours old or more how would I go about that...obviously the program itself isn't going to do it unless there is a regex to check for date modified.

Unless there is date information in the text string you're matching, you're pretty much on your own in this regard.

I wonder would it work if the from and to were the same directory just to organize the files?

I would highly recommend against using the same folder for source and destiation.

I'll assume you have a dedicated download folder of some sort.  Given that, I'd have two additional folders dedicated to being a source and a destination.  Then, I'd process them like this:

• Move some files from your download folder into the source folder.
  • Run your File Punter routines.
  • Double-check your destination folder for accuracy.
  • Manually merge the destination folder contents with your final storage area (file server, etc.)

Sorry if I asked something obvious and thanks again for your patience and willingness to share knowledge.

You're welcome.  I'm glad to help.

BTW, you might want to check out TheRenamer.  IMHO, it's the best TV show renamer out there.  I use it myself.  It also does movies, but I don't use it for that.  Anyway, you might find it easier to use than File Punter for your needs.

famewolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 12:48 AM »
Well I tried the program and I ran into a few issues....I took some screenshots to demonstrate......

In Screenshot 1 you'll see I filled in the info the process the files.  One deviation is I DID choose to recurse directories.
In Screenshot 2 you'll see the results of the simulation.
In Screenshot 3 you'll see the entry shown.  Problem 1 occured when I attempted to resize the columns to display the full information....the columns in question went blank and I couldn't get the data back...reloading the program didn't help as the following info will confirm.
In Screenshot 4 you'll see I closed out the program entirely and reloaded it.  I had previously done save.  When it reloaded the entry with regex was gone.
I re-entered all the information from Screenshot 1 and skipped the simulation...I changed the bottom entry to use Move instead of simulation.   I put a checkbox next to the entry I had added (and saved again) and I told it to run....it showed that it was processing the bitten file and then showed me screenshot 5.   In screenshot 5 if you look closely at the title bar you will see it says File Punter ERROR...but no information is apparent of what the error is.....the program appears hung as you can't close it...minimize or maximize it...get any of the menu buttons to respond etc.......I eventually went into task manager and killed the process.....upon reloading the program I was once again shown a blank screen with the entry I added lost.  The file did in fact move from C: to X: under a Bitten Folder and a Season 01....I don't know if it had issues with the fact Bitten folder already existed at the destination and I note the old Bitten folder on C: is still there but a utility called "DirClean" would handle deleting empty folders.  At this point I'm stumped how to make this work if the entry is going to be lost...if it kept the entry I could trigger task manager to run it daily and use a program called ClickOff to press the button to initiate the move.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 06:42 PM »

And of course some days it's more like 200%  :wallbash:
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.