topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: VMware Valentine's Day Sale  (Read 4778 times)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
VMware Valentine's Day Sale
« on: February 13, 2014, 02:42 PM »
VMware's annual Valentine's Day sale started today (2/13/2014) and will run through tomorrow.

Workstation 10 is 20% off for both new licenses ($199.20) and upgrades ($95.20). 

It's still overpriced, given that VirtualBox is available for free, but I personally find Workstation the far better experience.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: VMware Valentine's Day Sale
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 04:29 PM »
Never found a version of VMware I could run portable. But for VirtualBox there is a piece of software that uses the installer to create a portable VirtualBox.

And that I have used successfully on several computers. Hence my favorite would be VirtualBox. VMware is a solid experience though, especially when not using the VMware Player. That product is not bad at all, but forget (re-)configuring network settings in VMware VM's.

VMware Workstation is a tad expensive for my taste. Even with the 20% off, to be honest.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:09 AM »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 11:14 AM »
It's still overpriced, given that VirtualBox is available for free, but I personally find Workstation the far better experience.

Oh, it definitely is, at least in my experience. Running the same OS on Workstation vs. VirtualBox wasn't even close to being the same experience. Workstation made it a much more pleasant, productive experience. And, if one is interested in such, Workstation can be easily altered to support OS X VMs.

However, like others have said, it's just too expensive. Their normal price should be about 50% what it is now and then run their sales with 20% off.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42 PM »
Oh, it definitely is, at least in my experience.

Agreed, in my experience, too.  I keep both installed, though.