topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Photos that spontaneously change  (Read 18873 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Photos that spontaneously change
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Have a look here too:

http://www.lagom.nl/...cd-test/gradient.php
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

or some similar site/images where you can check your monitor settings
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 07:58 AM »
This Sophie Marceau from your post is more reddish than the one below: (click thumbnail for large)

BD - Sophie Marceau - sophie2.jpgPhotos that spontaneously change

---
and the one from img.all-celebrity-photos.com: (click thumbnail for large)

Sophie-Marceau-117.jpgPhotos that spontaneously change

modified text:
But I don't think it is the photo itself that is different, (if anyone can understand what I mean), but the virtual make-up on the girl's chins. Two editions of the same photo.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:06 AM by Curt »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 11:54 AM »
In the forum here, the face looks well balanced on my monitor (with brightness relatively low on monitor settings).
Looks perfectly fine here to me as well.
Same here.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 08:18 PM »
May I suggest that when you have the above image on your monitor showing the red shift, that you take a photo of your monitor and post it here so that we can see the problem?

Preferably with the image on a black background.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 11:38 PM »
Maybe you should try looking at the picture on a different computer & see if it still looks reddish to you because it looks fine to me.

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 10:00 AM »
There is also another side of the matter: spontaneous changes of many photo within a short time.

A certain photo is reddish. By Photoshop I decrease the color red. The photo is fine.

End of the story, right? No.

If I look at the photo the next day, or after few hours, or sometimes after few minutes, the photo is reddish again. Photoshop again, another decreasing of the color red.
All that repeats itself for several times. I would say the correction must be repeated roughly for four-five times.
At last, after several corrections, the photo reaches its final stable state.

It's really exasperating.
I don't understand what happens in my PC. It seems possessed by the devil...
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:31 PM by Giampy »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 05:03 PM »
I don't understand what happens in my PC. It seemes possessed by the devil...

That may explain the preference for lots of red.  btw I wouldn't get into a flame war with him.  :)

But all seriousness aside, have you done lots of virus scans?  Maybe you have some prankware floating about.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 05:18 PM »
^maybe his monitor is like a dying star...

btw, Giampy, have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread?
Tom

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 06:58 PM »
have you done lots of virus scans?  Maybe you have some prankware floating about.

I hunted for every kind of infection, and for each kind of infection I used more programs.
No result.

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 07:22 PM »
^maybe his monitor is like a dying star...

The drawback concerns only some photos and only the area they cover.
Everything else on the monitor is fine and above all it's stable.
That's why I don't believe the culprit is the monitor.

have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread?

In the last 20 months I tried everything but another monitor. I already tried the suggestions I read here.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 07:23 PM »
If I look at the photo the next day, or after few hours, or sometimes after few minutes, the photo is reddish again. Photoshop again, another decreasing of the color red.
All that repeats itself for several times. I would say the correction must be repeated roughly for four-five times.
At last, after several corrections, the photo reaches its final stable state.

Hi Giampy,
It's one thing to wonder if you are going crazy over several weeks, but if it's down to several times a day, try this:

Take a screen shot of photos when they misbehave once. Then fix it and screen shot that. Then if it misbehaves, screen shot it again. If you can get a set of three - before, fixed, and re-broken, you can post it here and we can look.

The analogy I'm using is that my comp completely refuses to retain some music player file associations, aka it's not the sound card etc.

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Another hypothesis is an instability of my Windows with regard to visualization of images. Perhaps a component/file of Windows, directly or indirectly devoted to visualization of images, is partially corrupted. 

I should try the command SFC.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Another hypothesis is an instability of my Windows with regard to visualization of images. Perhaps a component/file of Windows, directly or indirectly devoted to visualization of images, is partially corrupted. 

I should try the command SFC.

Sure, your idea tags with mine. We'll crack it somehow!

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Yes/No questions:

1) Have you tried another monitor?

2) Does it only affect the images you have modified?

3) Does it only affect images that are stored on your computer?
     If you answered YES to question (3): Does your image program actually save the modifications to the image, (eg. Picassa doesn't unless you tell it) ?
     If you answered NO to question (3):  Are you sure?

4) Have you tried saving the modified image to a different name?
     If you answered YES to question (4): When the change occurred, did you then compare the original image with the modified image using a program, not your eyes, (eg. Beyond Compare, AntiDupl, XnView, etc)?

5) Have you tried saving the modified image to another format, (eg. PNG, TIFF), as well as the original format?
     If you answered YES to question (5): When the change occurs, does the alternate format image exhibit the same change as the original modified format?

6) Have you tried copying an image you have modified to a flash drive, (then remove it from the computer)?
     If you answered YES to question (6): Did you then plug it into another computer and ensure that the image had been modified?
     If you answered YES to question (6): When the change occurs, did the version on the flash drive exhibit the same change?

7) Have you tried making a large modification to an image, (ie. put "This is a modified image" across the middle of it) ?
     If you answered YES to question (7): When the change occurs, did the large modification also disappear?

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Yes/No questions:

Yes, just today. I have seen the same situation of my system: good photos appear good and changed photo appear changed. Therefore my monitor doesn't mislead

I don't know. I fine-tune all the photos I download

3) ... Does your image program actually save the modifications to the image

Yes, sure

Yes. Same results

4) If you answered YES to question (4): When the change occurred, did you then compare the original image with the modified image using a program, not your eyes, (eg. Beyond Compare, AntiDupl, XnView, etc)?

No. Spontaneous changes of photos are evident. No need to try other viewers

5) Have you tried saving the modified image to another format, (eg. PNG, TIFF), as well as the original format?

Yes, BMP

5) If you answered YES to question (5): When the change occurs, does the alternate format image exhibit the same change as the original modified format?

Yes, the same change

6) Have you tried copying an image you have modified to a flash drive, (then remove it from the computer)?

Yes, just today

6) If you answered YES to question (6): Did you then plug it into another computer and ensure that the image had been modified?

Yes, just today (see point 1)

I am not able to answer to other questions.

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2014, 12:58 PM »
Since all the tries are useless, I have decided to finish here this thread.
I feel I am boring you.

Of course any further suggestion from you will be appreciated.

I thank all the people who have tried to help me.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2014, 04:21 AM »
Since all the tries are useless, I have decided to finish here this thread.
I feel I am boring you.

No offense but it appears to be the opposite, ie. you appear to become bored with this problem.  Given 18 months have elapsed and it still happens, you don't seem to be that bothered about finding the cause.

Yes, just today. I have seen the same situation of my system: good photos appear good and changed photo appear changed. Therefore my monitor doesn't mislead

This post of yours implies a hardware fault, as barney mentioned, it's taken ~18 months just to try another monitor.

I don't know. I fine-tune all the photos I download

So then how can you compare one to an unmodified original?

Just to make it obvious, the fault you've described is currently subjective.  No one else can see anything wrong with the image you posted in this thread because you didn't provide the source for comparison.

Hence this question:

Yes. Same results

If you answered YES to question (4): When the change occurred, did you then compare the original image with the modified image using a program, not your eyes, (eg. Beyond Compare, AntiDupl, XnView, etc)?

No. Spontaneous changes of photos are evident. No need to try other viewers

These are comparison programs, (XnView while mainly an image viewer can compare images for differences), they will provide an objective reference.

eg. The image on the right has had the red channel increased by a single increment.  While it might not be apparent to the eye, using Beyond Compare highlights exactly what has been changed - it becomes an objective observation.

2014-03-23 07_19_07.pngPhotos that spontaneously change

But if the answer to (2) was correct, then there isn't any way to make that comparison.  If you do ever try doing this, save the original in a lossless format first, modify it, and then save it in the same lossless format to avoid compression artifacts influencing the comparison.

Yes, BMP

If you answered YES to question (5): When the change occurs, does the alternate format image exhibit the same change as the original modified format?

Yes, the same change

Yes, just today

6) If you answered YES to question (6): Did you then plug it into another computer and ensure that the image had been modified?

Yes, just today (see point 1)

If you did what was suggested in (7) then if such a large obvious change disappears from the image sometime later, it could only be one of two things: someone has replaced the modified image with the original, (that includes you); or software has replaced the image.  It rules out hardware being the problem.

But as it is, with the subtle changes you imply, it could still be anything and given your answers above and in the previous thread, I'm tending towards barney's suggestion of 18 months ago - power or GPU related.
Yes, I'm discounting the answer of question (1) because of the answer you gave to question (2) which implies you don't have the originals to make a comparison against.