ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Point About Grammar

<< < (17/17)

crabby3:

How many different waters do you see in this photo?
 (see attachment in previous post)
-app103 (March 04, 2011, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Two?   :huh:

Stoic Joker:
Don't know where you are.  I'm in 'the South of Florida'.  Not The South or The Deep South.  That begins to end up around the border.
Back when the History and Discovery channels had less *reality* crap they had shows referring to The South.  Never mentioned Florida.
It was always Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Carolinas ..-crabby3 (February 10, 2014, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm in the middle of central Florida. And while "The South" might officially end at the border...straying more than a mile or so off the interstate around here will bring one up to speed real fast about how far south The South really goes. We're talking Rebel flags, Confederate money, a 5th grade education, and 3 teeth per family - that's extended on both sides (assuming there are actually 2 sides...) mind you.

There are places in the national forest here that the cops won't go into with less than 3 vehicles in a caravan.
-Stoic Joker (February 10, 2014, 05:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is above Orlando? -crabby3 (February 10, 2014, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, ~80 miles north.

We have Rebels, counterfeit money, many GED's and no teeth per.

We have the Everglades but the cops don't bother chasing.  There's only a few places with semi-potable water any time of year.
If the perps are driving... there's only one western exit... with cops waiting.  Most turn around and face the music.-crabby3 (February 10, 2014, 05:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

(hehe) now you're getting it. Florida being a transient state (e.g. most residents are from somewhere else) likes to pretend they're above all that Mason Dixon line shit ... But they're not. We're just as much The South (as the true locals quickly show) as the rest of the (classically held as) Southern states.

Mind you I'm not sayin' that it's good or bad ... I'm simply pointing out that it is. ;)

@IainB - I was actually trying really hard not to use the word 'dialect' ...(as it tends to upset the locals)... But yes it does rather fit.

--- End quote ---

Two?   :huh:
-crabby3 (February 11, 2014, 05:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed. Two waters strikes me as correct also. :D

IainB:
--- End quote ---
Two?   :huh:
-crabby3 (February 11, 2014, 05:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
Agreed. Two waters strikes me as correct also. :D
-Stoic Joker (February 11, 2014, 07:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure there is necessarily a "correct" answer here. The answer would probably differ depending on how you defined "waters":

From Concise Oxford Dictionary (10th Ed.)
water
· n.
1 the liquid which forms the seas, lakes, rivers, and rain and is the basis of the fluids of living organisms. [Chemical formula: H2O.] Ø one of the four elements in ancient and medieval philosophy and in astrology. Ø (the waters) the water of a mineral spring as used medicinally. Ø a solution of a specified substance in water: ammonia water. Ø urine. Ø (waters) amniotic fluid, especially as discharged shortly before birth.
2 (the water) a stretch of water, such as a river, sea, or lake. Ø the surface of this. Ø [as modifier] found in, on, or near the water. Ø (waters) an area of sea regarded as under the jurisdiction of a particular country.
3 the quality of transparency and brilliance shown by a diamond or other gem.
4 Finance capital stock which represents a book value greater than the true assets of a company.
· v.
1 pour water over (a plant or an area of ground). Ø give a drink of water to (an animal). Ø take a fresh supply of water on board (a ship or steam train).
2 (of the eyes or mouth) produce tears or saliva.
3 dilute (a drink, typically an alcoholic one) with water. Ø (water something down) make something less forceful or controversial by changing or leaving out certain details.
4 (of a river) flow through (an area).
5 Finance increase (a company’s debt, or nominal capital) by the issue of new shares without a corresponding addition to assets.
– PHRASES like water in great quantities. make water (of a ship or boat) take in water through a leak. of the first water 1 (of a diamond or pearl) of the greatest brilliance and transparency. 2 referring to a person or thing unsurpassed of their kind: she was a bore of the first water. under water submerged; flooded. the water of life whisky. water on the brain informal hydrocephalus. water under the bridge (or N. Amer. water over the dam) past events that are over and done with.
– DERIVATIVES waterer n. waterless adj.
– ORIGIN OE wæter (n.), wæterian (v.), of Gmc origin.

Stoic Joker:
I was actually just going with liquid and solid (ice at bottom of photo) for a total of 2.

I did not however see any lakes in the photo. ;)

IainB:
I was actually just going with liquid and solid (ice at bottom of photo) for a total of 2.
I did not however see any lakes in the photo. ;)
-Stoic Joker (February 11, 2014, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK, as I recall from my fisics edukation, any substance (such as water) that can go from vapour<-->liquid<-->solid at different temps/pressures is said to be going through "phases". So water in liquid and ice form would be examples of two phases of water, by definition.

Presumably, all bottled water is for drinking, so you could call this "bottled potable water". Some bottled water might come from mineral springs with dissolved minerals, and these can be called "waters" per the above Concise Oxford Dictionary definition (and also as mentioned here in DCF), and some bottled water might be distilled water (pure H20 condensate from a distillation process). You could call these "different types" of water.
The plastic bottled water reputedly could contain BPn compounds from the plastic manufacturing process, so you might call these potentially "contaminated" or "polluted" types of potable water. Water is a universal solvent, and thus not all water is potable as it could contain all manner of harmful-to-health dissolved chemicals. Water also can contain bacteria that is dangerous to human health and this would usually not be potable either. All water on the planet is recycled water.

Then there's tap water. Oddly enough, this is the water that has been shown to be the safest to bottle and drink in urbanised societies, from a human health standpoint, because it has been mucked about with quite a lot before it runs out of the tap. It is water that has been filtered using various filters including insoluble aluminium compounds to flock/trap particulates in suspension, and then contaminated (treated) with a small amount of dissolved toxic/poisonous gas - chlorine - to sterilise the water. Some urban water also has an added toxin - stannous fluoride (a compound of the metal tin) which scientists tell us is good for our teeth by helping to reduce the incidence of decay.

The most beneficial potable water from a human health standpoint would be water containing lots of useful (to the human organism) dissolved minerals (so, for example, dissolved toxic lead minerals would make it not potable, by definition), and the least beneficial would be pure distilled water.

Some people reckon that the nicest-tasting water is that used to water down a glass of whisky, whereas others say that it spoils the taste of the whisky.

Water is the cause of the greatest solvent abuse and addiction on the planet, and causes many deaths. People can't seem to live without having to imbibe large amounts of it every day, and inhaling the stuff can be fatal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version