ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

tip: check your mouse before going to red alert.

<< < (5/5)

Innuendo:
it's the left button micro switch. i thought these switches were meant to last forever - i've had the mouse two years and it was an expensive logitech one at the time so i see no excuse for poor quality parts.-nudone (February 25, 2008, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

You may want to try contacting Logitech about it. I've heard they are very good at replacing defective mice & often don't even require one to send back the bad one.

Edvard:
And if Logitech is no help, you can snap up the standard OMRON D2FC-F-7N Microswitches from just about anywhere.  A little tinkering and solder smoke, and VoilĂ ! New mouse!

Some people have opened up the switch and re-bent the leaf-spring contact inside.  Not a good idea in my opinion.  If you know anything at all about bending thin pieces of metal, you know it'll never be full strength again, but YMMV.

Shades:
There can still be problems with the cable between a wired USB mouse and the port it is connected to. I have a Logitech multi-button mouse that works fine when the cable is a certain position, unfortunately that position appears to shift. Never found a replacement cable here in PY. People have given me older, cheaper brand mouses and the Logitech mouse cable contains more inner wires than the cheapo's do.

What also can be a problem is the USB port that is being used by the mouse. Even if there is nothing wrong with the mouse, its cable or the physical USB port it is connected to, then still there can be problem with Windows not being able to properly communicate with the USB device. While the device would work fine on the USB port right next to it.

Extremely irritating, I can tell you that much. I have a headless server here that has no problem with any USB device I connect to it, except the keyboard. that one will only work in one of the 8 USB ports on the back which are difficult to reach. The device is detected, Windows reports that the appropriate software is successfully installed...and that is it. Do not expect to be able to type anything. I exchanged keyboards (different models, different brands), but to no avail. So I hooked up an old PS2 clunker and all is dandy.

One would assume that the USB standard is around long enough for Windows to not behave so "stubborn" as it sometimes does. Ah well.... 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version