ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why didn't anyone tell me I could make the Windows 7 taskbar height non-obscene?

<< < (5/6) > >>

IainB:
...  :-* Love the purple, too!
-app103 (February 07, 2014, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, it's all about ergonomics as far as I am concerned. It's not a bad colour, I agree, but it's a rather poor compromise - what I was actually trying to do was replicate the standard optional XP "Rose" colour scheme, as that:

* was really easy on the visual perception (good ergonomics);
* was a reddish tint (balances your circadian rhythms affected via your photoreceptors);
* was close to pink without being too bright (good ergonomics - calming effect);
* included a seriffed font (good ergonomics as it is an aid to faster reading comprehension) - I forget the name of the font, but it was similar to Times Roman;
Anyway, trying to replicate the standard XP "Rose" theme was just too hard. I did manage to get closer to it by disabling a lot of the Win7 Vista/glassy/transparency stuff and sticking with the "Classic" display, but the result looked/was kludgy and mis-proportioned, and was not ergonomically satisfactory. So I ended up getting as close as I could using the standard features and left it at that.

The best thing about using a vertical Wn7 Taskbar is that you can pack all that useful content because the graphics display resolution was better and enabled smaller objects - except you really did then need good eyesight or specs to be able to read that laptop display!    :o

app103:
...  :-* Love the purple, too!
-app103 (February 07, 2014, 10:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, it's all about ergonomics as far as I am concerned. It's not a bad colour, I agree, but it's a rather poor compromise - what I was actually trying to do was replicate the standard optional XP "Rose" colour scheme, as that:

* was really easy on the visual perception (good ergonomics);
* was a reddish tint (balances your circadian rhythms affected via your photoreceptors);
* was close to pink without being too bright (good ergonomics - calming effect);
* included a seriffed font (good ergonomics as it is an aid to faster reading comprehension) - I forget the name of the font, but it was similar to Times Roman;
Anyway, trying to replicate the standard XP "Rose" theme was just too hard. I did manage to get closer to it by disabling a lot of the Win7 Vista/glassy/transparency stuff and sticking with the "Classic" display, but the result looked/was kludgy and mis-proportioned, and was not ergonomically satisfactory. So I ended up getting as close as I could using the standard features and left it at that.

The best thing about using a vertical Wn7 Taskbar is that you can pack all that useful content because the graphics display resolution was better and enabled smaller objects - except you really did then need good eyesight or specs to be able to read that laptop display!    :o
-IainB (February 07, 2014, 06:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Let me introduce you to my purple, vertical, autohiding taskbar (XP)...the one that has a reputation of scaring most DC members:

Why didn't anyone tell me I could make the Windows 7 taskbar height non-obscene?

Now you know why I like your taskbar.  ;)

IainB:
@app103: Oh! It's my old XP Taskbar, and, unless I am much mistaken, it looks like it's the "Rose" colour theme as well - is that so?
I think I still rather prefer that (your) Taskbar to my current Win7 one. Maybe it's just nostalgia.
Cute wallpaper.
I used to have some handy gadgets and things on the Desktop too, mostly organised using Samurize, and it included sort of a real-time dynamic notepad (editable object) with my ToDo list on it. (Samurize could be a very nifty tool - if you invested the time necessary to learn how to use it. Setup was a non-trivial exercise.)

app103:
@app103:[/b] Oh! It's my old XP Taskbar, and, unless I am much mistaken, it looks like it's the "Rose" colour theme as well - is that so?
-IainB (February 08, 2014, 03:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not the Rose theme. It was a color I picked out of the first wallpaper I had on the desktop of my first XP machine and then tweaked it a bit to create an entire custom theme that was purple, but as easy on the eyes as the default gray.

This is the palette it uses:

And this is the wallpaper it is based on:

IainB:
OIC. Very similar colours to the XP Rose theme - per this screenshot. (I guess you can find it in the OS settings yourself.)

(Click to enlarge image.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version