topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Why didn't anyone tell me I could make the Windows 7 taskbar height non-obscene?  (Read 18739 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
This is a public service announcement for those of you who do not like the Windows 7 taskbar being so damn tall eating up desktop space for no reason.

You can change it go to back to the sane pre-Windows7 height and format:

Screenshot - 2_6_2014 , 5_39_47 PM_ver001.png

It's the small icons setting which reduces the height.  I also change the taskbar buttons (grouping) option so that each program running gets it's own taskbar entry until it runs out of space; I hate the new behavior of combining taskbar buttons for multiple copies of explorer, etc.

Note: One thing that happens when you reduce the taskbar height is you lose the full date shown in the bottom right.  To solve that I install Tclock and configure it to show full textual date+time on the taskbar.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
To solve that I install Tclock and configure it to show full textual date+time on the taskbar.

I didnt know that it could show all that info on a 'small' taskbar.

Eh... have you just upgraded from XP mouser?
Or are you one of those productive people who dont mess around with all the possible UI options on their OS :D :P
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
have you just upgraded from XP mouser?
Or are you one of those productive people who dont mess around with all the possible UI options on their OS

both.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ I avoid a new OS install like the plague because I spend hours, no, days, trying to get it the way I want it
(but I think I'd prefer to be more productive).
Tom

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I didnt know that it could show all that info on a 'small' taskbar.

There's plenty of room on the "small" taskbar!

taskbar-clock.png
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
x16, your image shows the double height normal size win7 taskbar.  i'm talking about the half-height option.

oh -- is that TClock you have showing that info?  Didn't know it could display two-lines. nice.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've had this option set for so many years that I forgot it wasn't like that by default. In fact, every single Windows 7 computer (including everybody else's computers) I've used has the smaller taskbar, so I'm still not sure I believe that it's not small by default.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
I use small icons on a vertical taskbar so that I can easily access it between two monitors.
This lets me "stack" more taskbar buttons than I could have horizontally.

screenshot_Microsoft® Windows® Operating System (Windows Explorer) [explorer]_004.png

I've got 16gb of RAM, so it is easy to have so many apps running in the system tray,too.  On a horizontal taskbar I would never be able to see them all at once.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
x16, your image shows the double height normal size win7 taskbar.  i'm talking about the half-height option.

oh -- is that TClock you have showing that info?  Didn't know it could display two-lines. nice.

By golly, you're right!  I set small taskbar on every other machine I get on (at least all our servers, anyway)... but at home I have two 1920x1080 monitors so I didn't notice!  Fixed now, though, I just set the text in T-Clock to size 8 Marlett instead of 10...

taskbar-clock-2.png
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
Another thing I did was this: I created a PowerPro toolbar that docks to the top of my screen and had it display a clock there.

My monitor is 1920x1080, so it might seem big to some folks.
The reason I'm showing this is because it's another way to have a custom clock.

screenshot_PowerPro (PowerPro 5.3.14) [powerpro]_001.png

As you can see in the image, there are other things too: icons that contain menus, a volume-slider (just scroll over it to adjust volume!), and a run box.

PowerPro, if you haven't tried it, is wonderful.

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't have a problem with the standard height of the taskbar. The only time mine is even visible is when I want to look at it and at that point the increased height is an advantage. If you really want to make it useful, though, I recommend giving 7+ Taskbar Tweaker a look.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use small icons on a vertical taskbar so that I can easily access it between two monitors.
 (see attachment in previous post)
I've got 16gb of RAM, so it is easy to have so many apps running in the system tray,too.  On a horizontal taskbar I would never be able to see them all at once.
Ditto. For years now - in XP and Win7-64 - I have used a vertical Taskbar configuration with auto-hide ON. Current example:

Taskbar - vertical as used.png

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Must be my eyes but on my 24" screen can't see a damn thing when it is set to small icons. Simpler to use auto hide if you want the space.

I have 3 x 24" monitors so the taskbar is not an issue for me ;)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Desktop Clock.JPGI have a "Laptop' Desk clock...  :D

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Must be my eyes but on my 24" screen can't see a damn thing when it is set to small icons. Simpler to use auto hide if you want the space.
I have 3 x 24" monitors so the taskbar is not an issue for me ;)
Yes, LCD screens are a problem for my eyes too. Clarity of vision is essential. My laptop is a 14" display, and I couldn't read it without wearing specs. I have to use prescription reading glasses for reading, but they are of no use for reading the laptop display, because it is approx. twice as far away as one would hold a book, and the shallow depth of field of the specs doesn't cover the distance.

After some trial-and-error, I found that a pair of cheap ($10.00) 1.5 magnification off-the-shelf reading glasses from a supermarket did the trick. They have quite a deep depth of field, which enables me to use them for easy reading of the laptop, and for reading labels on products on supermarket shelves at roughly arm's length, and for reading a book if I don't have my reading specs handy (the prescription reading specs are preferable for books as they magnify the print a bit more than the cheaper specs).
If I want to see close up on something small - e.g., when soldering on a printed circuit board - I find that bringing both pairs of specs down in front of my eyes works a treat.

I always wear the cheaper specs on a lanyard around my neck. Thus exposed, they occasionally get broken, but it's not the sort of heart-stopping event as when you break your expensive prescription glasses.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
@Vurbul - That Windows7 Taskbar Tweaker is wonderful!  I use it to do only ONE thing - disable the tooltips on the taskbar buttons.  They were always getting in the way when I passed the mouse from one monitor to the next.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have a "Laptop' Desk clock...

That's the one thing I do like about Win8 UI.  Mouse to the corner to bring up Options sidebar.  Hover on Options. It displays time and other info nice and large.

Clipboard01.jpg

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Heh if we consider Win 8.1 as a "service pack", then with that new engineering focused MS CEO, MS could be right in line for their pattern of "One OS Good, Next one bad"!

Here's hoping they make Win9 good!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ditto. For years now - in XP and Win7-64 - I have used a vertical Taskbar configuration with auto-hide ON. Current example:

:-* Love the purple, too!

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
I love threads like this where everyone shows off their computers.  After all, its the most important part of the entire windows interface we are talking about - our entire workflow revolves around the taskbar!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...  :-* Love the purple, too!
Well, it's all about ergonomics as far as I am concerned. It's not a bad colour, I agree, but it's a rather poor compromise - what I was actually trying to do was replicate the standard optional XP "Rose" colour scheme, as that:
  • was really easy on the visual perception (good ergonomics);
  • was a reddish tint (balances your circadian rhythms affected via your photoreceptors);
  • was close to pink without being too bright (good ergonomics - calming effect);
  • included a seriffed font (good ergonomics as it is an aid to faster reading comprehension) - I forget the name of the font, but it was similar to Times Roman;

Anyway, trying to replicate the standard XP "Rose" theme was just too hard. I did manage to get closer to it by disabling a lot of the Win7 Vista/glassy/transparency stuff and sticking with the "Classic" display, but the result looked/was kludgy and mis-proportioned, and was not ergonomically satisfactory. So I ended up getting as close as I could using the standard features and left it at that.

The best thing about using a vertical Wn7 Taskbar is that you can pack all that useful content because the graphics display resolution was better and enabled smaller objects - except you really did then need good eyesight or specs to be able to read that laptop display!    :o

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...  :-* Love the purple, too!
Well, it's all about ergonomics as far as I am concerned. It's not a bad colour, I agree, but it's a rather poor compromise - what I was actually trying to do was replicate the standard optional XP "Rose" colour scheme, as that:
  • was really easy on the visual perception (good ergonomics);
  • was a reddish tint (balances your circadian rhythms affected via your photoreceptors);
  • was close to pink without being too bright (good ergonomics - calming effect);
  • included a seriffed font (good ergonomics as it is an aid to faster reading comprehension) - I forget the name of the font, but it was similar to Times Roman;

Anyway, trying to replicate the standard XP "Rose" theme was just too hard. I did manage to get closer to it by disabling a lot of the Win7 Vista/glassy/transparency stuff and sticking with the "Classic" display, but the result looked/was kludgy and mis-proportioned, and was not ergonomically satisfactory. So I ended up getting as close as I could using the standard features and left it at that.

The best thing about using a vertical Wn7 Taskbar is that you can pack all that useful content because the graphics display resolution was better and enabled smaller objects - except you really did then need good eyesight or specs to be able to read that laptop display!    :o

Let me introduce you to my purple, vertical, autohiding taskbar (XP)...the one that has a reputation of scaring most DC members:

Screenshot - 2_7_2014 , 9_01_20 PM.pngWhy didn't anyone tell me I could make the Windows 7 taskbar height non-obscene?

Now you know why I like your taskbar.  ;)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@app103: Oh! It's my old XP Taskbar, and, unless I am much mistaken, it looks like it's the "Rose" colour theme as well - is that so?
I think I still rather prefer that (your) Taskbar to my current Win7 one. Maybe it's just nostalgia.
Cute wallpaper.
I used to have some handy gadgets and things on the Desktop too, mostly organised using Samurize, and it included sort of a real-time dynamic notepad (editable object) with my ToDo list on it. (Samurize could be a very nifty tool - if you invested the time necessary to learn how to use it. Setup was a non-trivial exercise.)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@app103:[/b] Oh! It's my old XP Taskbar, and, unless I am much mistaken, it looks like it's the "Rose" colour theme as well - is that so?

Not the Rose theme. It was a color I picked out of the first wallpaper I had on the desktop of my first XP machine and then tweaked it a bit to create an entire custom theme that was purple, but as easy on the eyes as the default gray.

This is the palette it uses:

purple theme palette.png

And this is the wallpaper it is based on:

ThePast1-0.jpgWhy didn't anyone tell me I could make the Windows 7 taskbar height non-obscene?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:08 AM by app103 »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OIC. Very similar colours to the XP Rose theme - per this screenshot. (I guess you can find it in the OS settings yourself.)

(Click to enlarge image.)

xplorer² - Desktop XP Rose theme 20091024 221901.jpgWhy didn't anyone tell me I could make the Windows 7 taskbar height non-obscene?