ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

create a new entry in the main contextual menu : a new txt file

<< < (6/9) > >>

Contro:
have you tried running this command via a batch file? fsutil file [createnew]

• https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/fsutil.mspx
-lanux128 (February 22, 2014, 08:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Running to try inmediately.
Best Regards
 :-*
-Contro (February 23, 2014, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Seems a very powerful tool.
Have you tried really ?
I don't the command and is for windows 7-64

Best Regards

Contro:
Ok.  I already had Text File in New menu.  Here's what I did to get a template file.

This key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.txt\ShellNew

I added a new string named FileName and for value Template.txt

In the folder C:\Windows\ShellNew I made a file named Template.txt.  The contents is:
This is a text file template.

Now if I right click the desktop or in a folder, select New text document, name it, then double click, it has the text from the template.

One thing I notice I can't do it directly under C:\

It has to be in a folder.  The permissions situation with W8 seems even worse than W7 now.  Every move is hamstrung. I can't even save a file from Editpad directly into C:\Windows\ShellNew.  I have to save it somewhere else, then drag it.  Really asinine.

Anyway, I hope the template text default was what you were interested in.  If not then, Never Mind.  :)
-MilesAhead (February 23, 2014, 07:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Seems easy for me. Running to try and will comment.

Best Regards

Contro:
Miles only hopes is a new entry in the main contextual menu, not in the new submenu of the main contextual menu......

:-[

Contro:
Really asinine
-Contro (February 23, 2014, 08:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I prefer to wait to you. Seems an annoying solution by your words. And not for the main contextual menu.
 :-[

MilesAhead:
Ok.  Let me get it straight.  You right click an empty space on desktop or folder and the command is in the menu?  Or you right click on a file and the command is there?  It would seem more logical to do the former if making new files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version