ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Programmers: What size monitors do you guys prefer?

<< < (8/10) > >>

Ath:
I tried to find a 4K 'rated' TV/Monitor like this one, locally, but the 'smallest' I found so far are 55". And Amazon doesn't ship this cutie to EU :(

@Deozaan:
I am a bit worried about the refresh/flickering at 30 Hz; is that in any way noticeable? I can be quite tiring if the screen is flickering, even when hardly noticeable.
Though technically our 50 Hz AC frequency shouldn't interfere in any way with the 30 Hz of the screen, I'm not convinced until it's actually tested and proven :huh:

kwacky1:
I recently had the 'pleasure' to use a 32" monitor from Dell that ran at 3840x2160 for a couple of days and I must say, I prefer to have multiple monitors.
Even though my RDP sessions at 1920x1200 only took up a quarter of the screen I just found it harder to manage my windows.
I seemed to just end up with everything on the either the left or the right (why doesn't windows 7 have a built in horizontal snap).
Plus I had to crank the DPI right up to the max to make the text bearable to read.

I use 2 x 20" at 1600x1200 and sometimes wouldn't mind a 3rd monitor, even a widescreen one would probably do the trick for some of those side x side code windows/log file trawling.

tomos:
New 19" 5:4 (!) IPS monitor from EIZO coming out in the autumn
http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/s1933/index.html

probably not of much interest to coders (?) but nice to see the option.

Deozaan:
with the new one being so large, do you find its like in your face?  which can be uncomfortable.
-techidave (May 23, 2014, 04:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did feel it was a little bit too close. I thought I had scooted it back as far on my desk as it would go (which isn't very far because my desk has a printer stand (or something) on it) but I just checked and I was able to move it a few inches farther back. It feels a lot more comfortable now, though I still turn and tilt my head slightly to see all the corners. (But I'm sure I'd turn my head if I had a dual monitor setup as well.)

This "problem" with having to turn/tilt my head is exacerbated somewhat by the fact that I am now far enough away from the screen that things start to get a little blurry. This means that I have to wear my glasses (which I usually don't wear at home, since most of the time when I'm at home I don't need to see far distances). So the top of the screen is not within the viewing frame of my glasses, so I have to tilt my head upward somewhat to see the top of the screen clearly.

I'm worried this might cause issues for me as I tend to get headaches when I wear my glasses for too long.

Basically, in order for me to sit far back enough for the TV to be a comfortable distance where I can view all parts of the screen by only moving my eyes instead of my head, I'm no longer close enough to comfortably reach my keyboard and mouse. This could be fixed with a different desk, or wireless keyboard and mouse setup, but those solutions each have their own drawbacks (such as cost or convenience) and I'd still need to wear my glasses while using the computer.

I tried to find a 4K 'rated' TV/Monitor like this one, locally, but the 'smallest' I found so far are 55". And Amazon doesn't ship this cutie to EU :(

@Deozaan:
I am a bit worried about the refresh/flickering at 30 Hz; is that in any way noticeable? I can be quite tiring if the screen is flickering, even when hardly noticeable.
Though technically our 50 Hz AC frequency shouldn't interfere in any way with the 30 Hz of the screen, I'm not convinced until it's actually tested and proven :huh:
-Ath (May 23, 2014, 06:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't noticed any flickering on the display at all. This was something that worried me as well, as I've been very sensitive to flickering on CRT displays in the past. Thought honestly, I can't remember if it was ever a problem for me on LCDs. But that could be because every LCD I've used had a good refresh rate, though I think perhaps it's a difference between the display technologies of CRT and LCD/LED.

But anyway, as I said, no problems at all with flickering at the lower refresh rate. And as I said before, the viewing angles are really nice. It's been a real pleasure to look at this thing. :-D

I recently had the 'pleasure' to use a 32" monitor from Dell that ran at 3840x2160 for a couple of days and I must say, I prefer to have multiple monitors.
Even though my RDP sessions at 1920x1200 only took up a quarter of the screen I just found it harder to manage my windows.
I seemed to just end up with everything on the either the left or the right (why doesn't windows 7 have a built in horizontal snap).
Plus I had to crank the DPI right up to the max to make the text bearable to read.-kwacky1 (May 23, 2014, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm experiencing some of these feelings as well. There is so much space that I almost don't know what to do with it. I'm still trying to tweak the settings to get things to display to my liking. I've had to go into accessibility settings to increase the size of the mouse cursor, because I'd have a hard time locating it, or I'd lose it while moving it across the screen. I also had to increase my mouse movement speed and acceleration settings so that it didn't take so long to get across the screen. I've also increased the text size for everything, and often press ctrl-+ in my browser to increase font sizes there as well. And I made the start menu/task bar larger (disabling the "Use small icons" option) for the first time in forever because it was a little difficult to accurately get my mouse over the right window. This somewhat defeats the purpose of all that extra room. What's the point of quadrupling the pixels if you also have to increase the size of all the text and windows and everything just to be able to see it?

As for window management, I've installed DisplayFusion which is an application to improve the multi-monitor experience--even though I only have one display connected to my PC right now. It has window management shortcuts and options that help with things, such as hotkeys that move and/or resize windows to certain positions or sizes. It also enables window snapping to the edges of the screen or other windows. I'm currently trialing the "Pro" version of DisplayFusion and I like it enough that I will probably buy it after my trial ends.

Sure, a lot of my previous posts about the TV were extolling its virtues, but to be honest, there are some fairly significant downsides to the TV as well. Some of them may be due to this particular model of TV I'm using (such as the 30Hz refresh rate at >1080p resolutions), or the fact that I'm using a TV rather than a display that was designed to be used as a PC monitor.

Some other downsides I haven't mentioned yet:

Because it's a TV, it's not designed to allow the PC to put the display to sleep after a period of time. That is, the display will sleep after some time when there is no signal to display, but it won't automatically wake up again once the PC starts sending a signal. The TV shuts off and I have to press the power button to turn it back on again. It probably takes the TV about 30 seconds or so from pressing the power button before it displays anything (not counting the Seiki splash screen).

This has the added detriment of repositioning my windows because somewhere along this process, it would seem the resolution gets temporarily changed. So all my windows that I had in the lower or right areas of the monitor are squashed up into the upper left section of the screen, and I have to move all my windows back to the positions I want them in. This is made somewhat easier with some custom hotkeys I defined in DisplayFusion, but it's still an annoyance that I have to face every time I come back to my PC after stepping away long enough for the display to shut off. This has caused me to actually enable a screensaver for the first time in years and leave the display on for a couple of hours before finally shutting off. Whereas in the past I'd often make the screen go blank after 5-10 minutes and have the PC actually shut off the display after another 5-10 minutes.

The colors are strange. The brights are really bright and the darks are really dark. I read in some reviews for the monitor that other people were complaining about the colors, they said that after some adjusting/calibrating the colors were fine. But I don't know exactly how to calibrate the colors. I don't have hardware or software for that. I just know that photos of people look... off. Everything looks a little cartoony or washed out or something.

At this point I'm not convinced I'll really like using this display as a PC monitor, especially if I think about having to deal with the annoyances listed in this and previous posts on a daily basis for the next 5+ years. I'm going to give myself a few more days to try to get used to this display, and if I'm still unsure about it, I'll likely return it and look into getting one of these 27" 2560x1440 monitors, which should give me some extra space but also avoid most, if not all, of problems this TV has. This will also bring the cost of the new monitor back down to what I was originally hoping to pay for a 2nd monitor. And it has the added benefit that if I do need to get a new GPU, I can afford to buy both the 27" monitor and a new GPU for about the same price as this TV cost me.

wraith808:
There's also this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824238028

I have one of the 24" and I love it... thinking about upgrading to this and making a panorama setup with the two 24" on the sides and this in the middle

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version