topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Fixing a "MVSCR80.dll missing" error following a recent iTunes (v11.1.4) update.  (Read 2457 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ran into an annoying error last night with my GF's Win7 laptop following a failed update of iTunes v11.1.4. Once it happened, you could not reinstall iTunes, and a message similar to this one kept popping up:

error.png

A quick Google shows we weren't alone experiencing this problem.

As it turns out, this is fairly easy to fix. You have to manually remove  iTunes and its related helper apps, then reinstall a fresh copy running as Administrator. Full instructions are here.

Notes:

1) Some of the info on the web says you may need to do this in Safe Mode if you can't boot normally. We didn't run into that problem.

2) Pay attention to the uninstall sequence for Apple's components. They need to be removed in the order specified.

2) I couldn't get iTunes to download normally from the Apple website. To get around that, I went to www.ninite.com and had it generate an installer for iTunes. Running that as Administrator worked the charm.

:Thmbsup: