ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

farr v2 planning - use cases and action idea

<< < (4/7) > >>

jukla:
the most important part of this idea is that the special key comes as a PREFIX to an action/modifier
--- End quote ---

Agreed.

But is the combination of "initial space prefix" plus some other suffix/prefix for multiple modifiers out of the question? Just try to type " mp3" and compare it to "+mp3". The former is a lot quicker (due to space bar size and position). Come to think of it, the most coherent way to have the "initial space prefix" might be to just make it an (optional) addition on top of another prefix.

Example: " mp3 +edit +d: moby" would (i) search for mp3-files, (ii) set action to edit, (iii) narrow search to D: and look for files with "moby" in name.

Those who don't like the "initial space prefix" could still type "+mp3 +edit +d: moby"

Another quick "extra prefix" would be to read all phrases that begin with an uppercase letter as modifiers ("Kill" is a modifier, "kill" is not).

re: actions and modifiers:
1 & 2! Also, since most modifier phrases will be brief (mp3, edit, kill...), allow multiple columns in the result list (edit: only for the list of actions, not for regular results). That gives maximum overview of available actions and speeds up selection.

jgpaiva:
@jukla: I see where you're heading to with space as modifier. It really is faster if you use only one modifier.
IMO though, this should be added as an option and not by default. Only because it still forces you to have another modifier if you'd like to have more than one action on the same file, or the action specified after the file.
I find the idea of using caps letters in the actions interesting, let's hear come more opinions on that.

As for action-finding help, i think that there should be a second result box, maybe dividing the already existent search box, or appearing in the other direction. I mean, if farr was configured to have a drop-down results list, the actions would come on a "appear-up" list.
Another important point is that you can never be looking for both a file and an action (because of the modifier key), so, i guess the simplest solution would be to just have the same results list used as "possible actions" list.

mouser:
Another quick "extra prefix" would be to read all phrases that begin with an uppercase letter as modifiers ("Kill" is a modifier, "kill" is not).
--- End quote ---

thats an interesting idea.
and i dont mind making an initial space signify a modifier in addition to a custom prefix.

we could also say that whenever an exact match to an action is typed, it is automatically recognized as an action; just keep in mind that searching for file result would get disrupted while you were typing.

so for example, if you typed

dylan pla

youd get no results

but after you finished typing

dylan play

then the program would automatically convert your typed text to

dylan +play

jgpaiva:
The last thing you mentioned, mouser, i still don't understand the problem about having farr searching for files and actions at the same time..

mouser:
consider this:
i type
"dylan pl"

now, at the time you type pl
farr will think you mean do limit results to files with pl in their name
it doesnt know that you are typing an action
so it will be using what you type to restrict file name results.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version