topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: RightNote Pro 50% Off Thru January 31  (Read 29453 times)

wocius

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
RightNote Pro 50% Off Thru January 31
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Just go to bauerapps's homepage, and there's a banner link.  

I've tried many of this type of program (myBase, InfoQube, UR, AllMyNotes, MLO, myTreeDB, TreeNotes, etc.) and I keep coming back to RightNote.  I administer a center at a university, and use ACT! for our 4500-person database, but for keeping all sorts of miscellaneous info handy and keeping track of event details, RSVP lists, etc., I find RN (esp. with its powerful table features) the best for me.

(BTW, I've been a supporting member of DC for six years (exactly six years and four days), and I am embarrassed to say this is only my third post.  Hope I don't count as a troll, but you guys know so much more than I do, I've hesitated to stick a foot in before now.)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: RightNote Pro 50% Off Thru January 31
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:01 AM »
I've hesitated to stick a foot in before now
Thanks for the tip!

Don't stick a foot in, jump right in with both!

Scott_Y

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:53 AM »
Paying for a RightNote license is well worth it, and 50% off is a generous offer. I used the free version of RN for about a year before upgrading to the Standard version. I wish I had done that earlier because of how much time the extra features have saved me -- particularly with links to other notes, formatting preserved in web clips, and the formatting options for RichView notes. I've rarely felt as satisfied over a software purchase.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:53 PM by Scott_Y »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 11:55 AM »
I've hesitated to stick a foot in before now
Thanks for the tip!

Don't stick a foot in, jump right in with both!
-cranioscopical (January 22, 2014, 09:01 AM)

Yes please do. We can always benefit from some 'new' voices. And we're all family here, so no need to ever feel shy. :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 08:57 PM »
thanks for the heads-up! a link to the website would be handy though. :)

To take advantage of the special 50% discount, enter the coupon RNT-W3A3-JAN when you place your order!

here's the link to the announcement: http://bauerapps.com/rightnote-pricing/

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 12:57 AM »
I can recommend RightNotes too. I use it since November every day. For me it's the best I could found.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 10:52 AM »
I'm thinking of updating my version 2 license to 3.
To anyone that already has, what are your thoughts on the webpage note feature? I was going to give it a try and installed the version 3 update. It changed my license to the freeware version instead of a trial and I haven't been able to get the webpage note feature to work.
I've been using TreeProjects to save web pages and it's working but would like to compare the two.

I haven't emailed Bauer yet, thought I'd ask here 1st.

Thanks

wocius

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 01:58 PM »
They sell the full license and the upgrade through Digital River, which charges sales tax.  I don't think I've seen a charge for sales tax (8.65% or so in NYC) before, other than for Microsoft and some other major vendors.  Is it customary, esp. when DR is only a sales conduit and not, I think, a vendor?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 02:41 PM »
They sell the full license and the upgrade through Digital River, which charges sales tax.  I don't think I've seen a charge for sales tax (8.65% or so in NYC) before, other than for Microsoft and some other major vendors.  Is it customary, esp. when DR is only a sales conduit and not, I think, a vendor?

FWIW it's common enough in the EU at any rate (and I suspect that Bauerapps might be somewhere in the EU).
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 05:11 PM »
what are your thoughts on the webpage note feature? I was going to give it a try and installed the version 3 update. It changed my license to the freeware version instead of a trial and I haven't been able to get the webpage note feature to work.
I've been using it a bit as a stash for clips from the web.  Not quite everything works the way I'd like, I think there are still issues around scrolling the tree to the current clip, but I consider the quality of the web clips to be good.  Here is a comparison of a direct screenshot from Firefox with the same thing clipped in RightNote:

Left - Firefox:                 Right - RightNote
Firefox_direct.pngRightNote Pro 50% Off Thru January 31  RightNote_capture.pngRightNote Pro 50% Off Thru January 31

A quick check of Wikipedia gave even better results.  Be aware that the web clip feature is only available in the Pro version.  See RightNote Version Comparisons.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 05:14 PM »
I suspect that Bauerapps might be somewhere in the EU
South Africa, I think.  At least, their Website Design company, Creative Core, has a .za zone.

RaelB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks to wocius for posting details about the special, and many thanks to all for your support.

@Bob99: Please contact support so I can give you info on how to extend the trial period for another 30 days.

Regards
Rael Bauer

wocius

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Rael, am I correct that the discount applies only to new orders, not to upgrades from v. 2?  Thanks.

Wo

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:19 AM »
I stuck my nose in to see if anyone had pointed this great deal out already and find that (again!) I'm behind the curve!  :D

I'd add my own vote for RightNote, though: I'm permanently on the lookout for the perfect note keeper and RightNote is one of the two I keep running (the other being CintaNotes -- which is faster, needs less screenspace and is tag focussed but falls behind when you care about formatting and image stuff.)
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 10:43 AM »
I purchased RightNote Pro v.2.x back in Feb. 2012. When v.3.0 was released I didn't upgrade. Mainly because the only changes I could see shown on the website was some tweaks in the Evernote sync feature. I haven't had much luck using the Evernote sync so I couldn't see the need to pay for what they are calling a "major" upgrade just for the Evernote sync changes. So I am still using v.2 for now.

Is anyone here using RightNote v.3? If so, can you tell me if there are any other changes/features/improvements over v.2, other than the Evernote sync changes?

Thanks!

Jim

PS- @wocius: I don’t know if the discount applies to upgrades or not... although that would make me very happy too!  However I doubt it; discounts are usually put out there to attract new users; developers usually expect to receive regular revenue from existing customers paying for upgrades.

Scott_Y

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Is anyone here using RightNote v.3? If so, can you tell me if there are any other changes/features/improvements over v.2, other than the Evernote sync changes?
You can view the history here http://bauerapps.com...ote-release-history/

Clearly all the recent development has gone into Evernote sync. Although RN is truly useful software and very well done, the interface is sometimes awkward. I'm hoping Rael will also work on improving that -- for example, making the note tree auto scroll to always focus the current note.

Rael, am I correct that the discount applies only to new orders, not to upgrades from v. 2?  Thanks.
Why not just buy a new license at 50% off? I think upgrades for any software are rarely better than that, and often at a lower percentage discount.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:04 PM by Scott_Y »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 05:15 PM »
I'm hoping Rael will also work [...] making the note tree auto scroll to always focus the current note.
+1 :up:

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 09:59 PM »
You can view the history here http://bauerapps.com...ote-release-history/

Yes, I am familiar with the release history. However such histories commonly contain the main highlights of each release. I guess I could have been more clear:  I was hoping that if there were other new features or improvements other than the Evernote sync and someone here at DC was aware of them, they could tell me about them.
 :)

Clearly all the recent development has gone into Evernote sync. Although RN is truly useful software and very well done, the interface is sometimes awkward. I'm hoping Rael will also work on improving that -- for example, making the note tree auto scroll to always focus the current note.

+1. Also there are a number of other tweaks that RN could use IMO. Some I mentioned above but there are more that I didn't list.

Rael, am I correct that the discount applies only to new orders, not to upgrades from v. 2?  Thanks.
Why not just buy a new license at 50% off? I think upgrades for any software are rarely better than that, and often at a lower percentage discount.

Same price AFAICT. The January 2014 discount and the upgrade pricing are both 50% off, so there's no additional savings.

Actually I would spring for the upgrade at that price IF there was a compelling reason, like new features or major improvements. Either or both are to be expected in a "major upgrade". But if it is only improvements/changes to the Evernote sync, that doesn’t justify it for me. That might be more than enough for some users or even most users. Personally I would much rather see the current improvement needs and deficiencies addressed before adding major features, which will naturally take up all development time available and leave the other stuff at the bottom of any priority list or roadmap.

Thank you.

Jim

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 10:14 PM »
For somebody new to note-taking software, what would be the main advantages of Rightnote over Evernote?
Thanks in advance!

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 10:50 PM »
For somebody new to note-taking software, what would be the main advantages of Rightnote over Evernote?
Thanks in advance!

To start you off, see this Mini-Review authored by rgdot. It's a bit dated but since RightNote hasn’t changed much since the review it is pretty up-to-date:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=29681.0

Jim

Scott_Y

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 01:59 PM »
... there are a number of other tweaks that RN could use IMO. Some I mentioned above but there are more that I didn't list.
+1

Personally I would much rather see the current improvement needs and deficiencies addressed before adding major features, which will naturally take up all development time available and leave the other stuff at the bottom of any priority list or roadmap.
I agree. And this is indeed what seems to be happening with RN for now, at least. I'm hoping Rael will get back to more basic fixes and improvements once the Evernote feature is in good shape. I am confident the past history of RN justifies that hope.

Although I don't use Evernote myself, I'd say they both can collect and save webclips for future reference. But beyond that, they are two different classes of program -- apples and oranges. RN is great for [1.] creating notes of various types (webpage clips, spreadsheets, formatted text, and others) and [2.] organizing notes (using tags, tabs, and a  hierarchical note tree per tab). AFAIK Evernote is weak if not actually incapable in those areas. I hope someone who knows more about Evernote can give you a better answer.

Here's an example of one way I often use RN when researching a topic: (1.) Clip or copy all or any part of a web page to the relevant note in RN. (2.) RN includes graphics, the URL of the source, and the date it was added. (3.) I tag the new note. (4.) I edit the note: character and paragraph formatting, highlighting, delete unwanted images, make annotations, hyperlink to other RN notes, etc. Some of those functions are available only in the paid versions of RN (Standard or Pro).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:56 PM by Scott_Y »

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 06:48 PM »
what are your thoughts on the webpage note feature? I was going to give it a try and installed the version 3 update. It changed my license to the freeware version instead of a trial and I haven't been able to get the webpage note feature to work.
I've been using it a bit as a stash for clips from the web.  Not quite everything works the way I'd like, I think there are still issues around scrolling the tree to the current clip, but I consider the quality of the web clips to be good.  Here is a comparison of a direct screenshot from Firefox with the same thing clipped in RightNote:

Left - Firefox:                 Right - RightNote (see attachment in previous post)   (see attachment in previous post)
A quick check of Wikipedia gave even better results.  Be aware that the web clip feature is only available in the Pro version.  See RightNote Version Comparisons.

Thanks for posting the comparisons. I see the difference. Similar to copy/pastes I've done in other programs. It's not a big thing but my at times OCD tendencies would have me trying to fix it to look the same. I've done it before.
I think for the time being I'll stay with version 2 and keep saving my web pages in TreeProjects.

RightNote is a great program though.

RaelB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 09:37 AM »
@Wo: Yes, the discount is only for new licenses. Upgrade licenses are already discounted at 50% off the price of a full license.

@J-Mac: There is no need to purchase an upgrade if you don't see a reason to. I do not work on a "dont-release any updates for a year then have a new major version with lots of new features" basis. Instead I add features incrementally, and a new license entitles you to all updates. I think this benefits the developer and end-user equally...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 02:31 PM »
I see the difference. Similar to copy/pastes I've done in other programs. It's not a big thing but my at times OCD tendencies would have me trying to fix it to look the same. I've done it before.
If I want perfect verbatim copies of complete web pages, I would use Local Website Archive, which does that job well.  You might find the free-for-personal-use version adequate.  It looks like recent versions have more features than I realised, but, AFAICS, it's a whole-page-capture program, and doesn't intend to have all the features of a note-taker.
I think for the time being I'll stay with version 2 and keep saving my web pages in TreeProjects.
Does that mean that you prefer TreeProjects' web page capture to RightNote's, or, that having a TreeProjects license or not needing one, there's no point in upgrading RightNote?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 08:42 PM »
rjbull: I agree completely about Local Website Archive. I have had the pro copy for a number of years and it does make webpage copies as close to perfect as almost anything I have seen. However if I am capturing a webpage for a topic that I am researching I like to have it in the same program as the rest of my research notes.

BTW, the Firefox extension Scrapbook captures webpages as well as Local Website Archive IMO. If RightNote cannot capture a page - which occurs a bit more than I expected - I just capture it with Scrapbook, click the notification link to open the page in another tab, and then use RightNote to capture the Scrapbook page. This is especially handy when the webpage is a receipt or anything else that requires a secure login. Most programs have difficulty logging in and capturing such pages while Scrapbook scrapes them up perfectly.

Jim