ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's thrashing my hard disk?

<< < (4/4)

wraith808:
Doesn't "Power On: 147 Days" tell that you haven't allowed Windows to update for about 5 months? Maybe you simply need to close Windows, (and start it again), for the updates to install, so your Windows Update can rest?

-Curt (January 19, 2014, 04:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

That does not mean that.

rjbull:
need to close Windows, (and start it again), for the updates to install, so your Windows Update can rest?-Curt (January 19, 2014, 04:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
I switched it off ("Not recommended") ages ago after the Update from Hell that I detailed in Windows Update disaster - recovery help, please!.  In that thread, you commented that given good security software (which I have) there wasn't much point in updating Vista because nothing worthwhile was being added to it.

4wd:
Just as a matter of interest, Fujitsu transferred their HDD assets to Toshiba back in 2009 - your HDD is over 5 years old, (2008 model).  Even though SMART says it's fine, if it's your main computer or you use it heavily, I'd probably look at replacing the HDD now or in the near future.

Depends on your mindset of course - I generally wait til they go toes up  :)

rjbull:
Just as a matter of interest, Fujitsu transferred their HDD assets to Toshiba back in 2009 - your HDD is over 5 years old, (2008 model).-4wd (January 21, 2014, 05:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm still surprised to find it inside a Samsung, though.  I'd have expected them to use their own HDs.

Even though SMART says it's fine, if it's your main computer or you use it heavily, I'd probably look at replacing the HDD now or in the near future.

Depends on your mindset of course - I generally wait til they go toes up  :)-4wd (January 21, 2014, 05:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'll probably do the same :-\  But as it's a laptop, I suppose I'd have to replace the whole thing.  It's (probably) not quite as serious as it sounds, yet; I don't think I even used the machine much until a year or so after I'd bought it (maybe that's the effect Vista has on you) and it's my personal machine, not one at work that had an intensive life.  HD Sentinel gave it the all-clear, too.  But, I suppose I'd better start keeping an eye on laptop reviews  8)

wraith808:
I'm still surprised to find it inside a Samsung, though.  I'd have expected them to use their own HDs.
-rjbull (January 21, 2014, 03:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Even if they had their own assets, it would be a toss up as to what they use.  It's always been that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version