ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's thrashing my hard disk?

<< < (3/4) > >>

rjbull:
What OS and version?
-wraith808 (January 18, 2014, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Windows Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, UAC On, user account.

rjbull:
What have you checked so far? (I'm presuming you've had a look in Task Manager or equivalent?)-tomos (January 18, 2014, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I have now :-[, but I don't understand Task Manager.  I run Chameleon Task Manager, which on the surface at least looks more informative, but the default is not to monitor disk usage.  I've turned it on now, but it will need a day or two to gather enough statistics.  So far, the two biggest users are WinPatrol Plus (45%) and (Windows) Explorer (14%).

rjbull:
That sounds more like a developing hardware problem than a software issue to me. [...] Check inside and see if the drive casing is unusually hot - or use a drive utility to check the actual temperatures along with the SMART stats. That will at least let you know whether it's a looming hardware issue or not.-40hz (January 18, 2014, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's a laptop, and I'm a klutz  :(  But I ran Hard Disk Sentinel a few weeks ago, just before doing the last disk image.  As far as I understood it, which isn't very, it gave a clean bill of health.  I just ran it again, with this result:
What's thrashing my hard disk?
(Given that it's a Samsung laptop, I was surprised to see a Fujitsu hard disk)
Could also be power manager unnecessarily spinning the disk down then up. It happens. Go to your power settings and check the setting for your harddrive and change or disable to see if that's the culprit. -40hz (January 18, 2014, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'll have to go look for that.  Thanks!

rjbull:
^That's not on every version of windows, which was the reason for my query about OS version-wraith808 (January 18, 2014, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's in my Vista, but I don't understand it.
I was getting disk thrashing, and only with process monitor-wraith808 (January 18, 2014, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
A quick DuckDuckGo search showed Process Monitor as the most popular utility for investigating this kind of problem.

Curt:
Doesn't "Power On: 147 Days" tell that you haven't allowed Windows to update for about 5 months? Maybe you simply need to close Windows, (and start it again), for the updates to install, so your Windows Update can rest?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version