ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's thrashing my hard disk?

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
Given that I'm not a supergeek, something easy to use and easy to interpret, please.-rjbull (January 18, 2014, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Windows Resource Monitor - open a CLI or at the Start menu type resmon.exe, and then look at the Disk tab.

What's thrashing my hard disk?

You'll get the process, how much reading/writing it's doing, the priority, and the drive response time, (which can be a very good indication of whether there are bad sectors - high response = possible read/write error possibly also indicative of a drive fault as 40hz mentioned).

wraith808:
^That's not on every version of windows, which was the reason for my query about OS version and such before I posted :)  But it is a good resource.  It didn't help me with my recent problem of the same sort however.

I was getting disk thrashing, and only with process monitor was I able to find out what it was by looking at the delta of disk writes and such.  I had Google Drive, Dropbox, Skydrive, Copy, Cubby, Syncovery, and Strongsync all running at once.  I guess they don't play well together :)  Turning off Google Drive and Skydrive was enough to stop the thrashing, though I added Copy to the ones that I turned off.

4wd:
^That's not on every version of windows, which was the reason for my query about OS version and such before I posted :)  -wraith808 (January 18, 2014, 11:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm assuming at least Windows Vista ... but I'm probably wrong  ;)

Deozaan:
Don't worry. It's just the NSA cataloging your hard disks.

IainB:
Don't worry. It's just the NSA cataloging your hard disks.
-Deozaan (January 19, 2014, 01:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's helpful of them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version