ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's thrashing my hard disk?

(1/4) > >>

rjbull:
Lately, something's been rhythmically thrashing my hard disk.  Sounds like an old  combustion engine "hunting," speeding up and slowing down again.  Please, how can I find out what's happening?  Given that I'm not a supergeek, something easy to use and easy to interpret, please.

wraith808:
What OS and version?

Curt:
if nothing is wrong it would most likely be 1) Windows indexing, or 2) your security program scanning.

tomos:
What have you checked so far?
(I'm presuming you've had a look in Task Manager or equivalent?)

40hz:
That sounds more like a developing hardware problem than a software issue to me. I'm guessing it's a spindle bearing that's semi-seizing. If it starts binding, the controller will detect it and spin up the drive motor to get it back up to speed.

Check inside and see if the drive casing is unusually hot - or use a drive utility to check the actual temperatures along with the SMART stats. That will at least let you know whether it's a looming hardware issue or not. (See here and here for resources.)

Could also be power manager unnecessarily spinning the disk down then up. It happens. Go to your power settings and check the setting for your harddrive and change or disable to see if that's the culprit.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version