topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wooden toy teaches preschoolers to code before they can read and write  (Read 5117 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hoping to teach children the basics of coding from as young as three years of age, Primo is on the surface a wooden toy for children, but is in fact a robotics kit that uses a visual block-based language to enable kids to learn how to program.

The play set features a small, motorized cube called Cubetto, which is wirelessly connected to a wooden board with several slots in it. The board acts as the programming interface and children control Cubetto by placing the code - color-coded instruction blocks - into the slots. Once the blocks have been placed, pressing a red button on the side of the board executes the code and sends Cubetto to the programmed destination. The four blocks of the code include forward, turn left, turn right and a function block. The programming board includes a separate section where users can create a ‘saved’ sequence of code they can call at any time - when the function block is placed into the main code, it replays the piece of code stored in the function box. This replicates the way languages such as PHP and JavaScript use functions. This feature can even be hacked to create infinite loops.

Video: http://vimeo.com/82620072

h/t Rich Pollett

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's really kinda neat.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
See Spot run.  See Jane hack into Fort Knox.  See Dick redirect the gold ingot transport to Jane's house.  See Spot with Mink Coat.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Holy crap that is cool!

The first batch of primo is now sold out!

They had me sold on that!

Oh well... My daughter doesn't need it now, but... no harm in buying ahead...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Holy crap that is cool!

The first batch of primo is now sold out!

They had me sold on that!

Oh well... My daughter doesn't need it now, but... no harm in buying ahead...

They will be making the DIY project files available this summer, so you can make your own.  ;)

The Primo Source files will be released exclusively to our Primo backers in March 2014, and will be available on a free donations basis to all from August 2014.