topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Interesting funding discussion regarding JayIsGames.com  (Read 6730 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Interesting funding discussion regarding JayIsGames.com
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:17 PM »
We've frequently posted links to casual flash game writeups on JayIsGames.com, and they have run some good flash game contests in the past.

They have started a discussion about funding issues that is quite interesting:

http://jayisgames.co...u.php#comment-panels

Last year, JayisGames.com celebrated its tenth anniversary. For a site that began as one person's personal blog to have turned into what it is today and survive that long, well... that's kind of amazing. But we're in trouble, because as adblockers become more and more common, it's getting harder and harder to make ends meet... and not take a loss. Please take the time to read this post about how we make our money, where it goes, why we have a problem, and why we want your help deciding what to do about it.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting funding discussion regarding JayIsGames.com
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 06:51 AM »
This looks like a fairly typical discussion, which is "interesting" because it's a "small site industry wide topic", but otherwise generic in that I don't see anything "fascinating" about that exact site. I've never heard of them, and you can take that discussion and do a search and replace for their name and the next one, and the discussion remains the same. We had one here a while back, with a different result, that Mouser wasn't happy with the results of his ads and turned them off again.

(Hoping I get the tone of this next bit right!)

It seems to me that they're missing a hysterically funny obvious educational moment!

The problem "isn't that hard" - meaning that it's a pretty easy set of equations to describe.

A. Page Views
B1. Actual Ads Loaded - Effects of AdBlock
B2. Plea to turn off AdBlock
C. Donate Button
D. Sell Direct Ad Space
E. Write smaller reviews that are cheaper
F1. Other1
F2. Other2

But everyone's treating this in all Hushed Tones!

So ... make a Flash Game! It would be a piece of cake to write.

Possible joke - only show it to people who use AdBlock!

8)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:16 AM »
Some of the comments and attitudes shown over at JayIsGames are beyond belief.

God, are there ever some utterly 'precious' and self-righteous freeloaders out there... :-\

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:12 PM »
After a recent comment from wraith, I've started paying more attention to sites and adblock/ing. Have to admit I hate most 'flashing' ads (usually Flash I think) and would be slow to 'allow' them. Others in the comments were avoiding these for bandwidth reasons.

Some of the comments and attitudes shown over at JayIsGames are beyond belief.

God, are there ever some utterly 'precious' and self-righteous freeloaders out there... :-\

the first ten comments were supportive... gotta admit I gave up after that.
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:39 PM »
I think there are a lot of interesting things in the post (not sure about comments).

However I have to say that I'm extremely surprised at the idea that adblockers could have such a dramatic impact on income.  This goes against everything I understand about advertising volumes and the percentage of people aggressively blocking ads with adblockers.  Could it really be the case that such a high percentage of visitors are using ad blockers?

They say:
Over 60% of you are using some sort of adblock program

Can that really be true? It doesn't mesh with my gut impression of how many people are using adblockers -- in fact if i had to guess i would be guessing somewhere in the 1% range..

Is it possible that they are THINKING that 60% of visitors are using adblockers, but what they are really seeing is that 59% of their traffic is coming from bots or other automated services that don't load ads?  Or am I grossly wrong about the percentage of users running ad blockers.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 04:15 PM »
What makes you think so few JayIsGames visitors are using adblockers?

Admittedly, most people I know don't use them, but they're not the kind of people who would be visiting sites like JayIsGames anyway.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 04:31 PM »
I'm just shocked at the idea that so many of the visitors to any site are using adblockers.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 08:03 PM »
I'm just shocked at the idea that so many of the visitors to any site are using adblockers.

Seriously? :huh:

Whenever I install Firefox on a client machine, AdBlock Plus and NoScript are the only extensions I include by default. And my clients are glad to have them.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:09 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 10:44 PM »

Seriously? :huh:

Whenever I install Firefox on a client machine, AdBlock Plus and NoScript are the only extensions I include by default. And my clients are glad to have them.

Exactly.  And I only turn it off if I consciously think of it.  Ads have gotten a bad name, and as such, are on the losing side on most installations.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 04:27 AM »
Well,
I enabled adblock on many sites. Unfortunately I have now gotten a popup virus that wanted me to download and install I-know-not-what.
(NewBrowserVersion.org pop-up -- more info here http://malwaretips.c...org-removal/#browser)
I'm not sure even via which site I got it (I had opened a session in Firefox and went through a bunch of tabs to load them) but I reckon I'm probably correct in thinking it came via an ad
:(

Prompted me to finally install malwarebytes at least :up:
Tom