ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Do i perform L.L.F. ?

(1/2) > >>

hulkbuster:
Hello, i have some problem with my PC's H.D.D, i had 3/4 sector errors because one of my friend used some Defrag tool to Defragment the Disc, so on the process he did something wrong, which showed some sector error.
       I am using Drevitalize 2.4.2 to remove the sector errors , which it did, and over time, the sector kept popping, to 6/8/12 sector errors.
      So, i am in a loop, my P.c is only a year old, and it used to perform nicely, but this H.D.D problem is being noticebly dominant. Like slow access to any partition, and it takes a little time to respond, if i click to any partition.
      So i plan to perform a Low Level Format, i heard cases where everything failed regarding removing the sector error, L.L.F. excel , since it is only writing 0's and 1's, i don't know if i.m. right.
      Cam someone suggest any thing better or avoid L.L.F. I am in a limbo, no way out.

Any suggestion is welcomed

40hz:
There are many arguments both pro & con. But I'll spare you  ;D and just give you my own personal take on it:

IF you're convinced the problem is strictly a format/sector issue - as opposed to a hardware or media problem - you could do a scrub using a heavy-duty erase tool, and then reformat it for your OS. I've had situations where that 'cured' oddball/intermittent problems I was having with certain HDs when they couldn't be fixed any other way.

If you decide to go that route, Darik's Boot & Nuke (or DBan) is an excellent tool. I'd strongly suggest using the "quick" option when you run it.

DBan can be downloaded here.

Note: a complete DBan wipe will take significant time, so plan on waiting several hours before it's finished.

Luck! :Thmbsup:

x16wda:
What 40hz said.  But given costs of hard drives these days, consider getting a replacement instead.  If the drive continues adding bad sectors then there could well be a physical defect, and perhaps whatever your friend did with the defrag tool just ran afoul of that.  I'd be uncomfortable trusting a "repaired" drive especially if a drive failure later could put me out of commission; I'd rather take proactive steps than be forced to react at some random - probably inconvenient - moment when it suddenly gives up the ghost.

Stoic Joker:
What 40hz said.  But given costs of hard drives these days, consider getting a replacement instead.  If the drive continues adding bad sectors then there could well be a physical defect, and perhaps whatever your friend did with the defrag tool just ran afoul of that.  I'd be uncomfortable trusting a "repaired" drive especially if a drive failure later could put me out of commission; I'd rather take proactive steps than be forced to react at some random - probably inconvenient - moment when it suddenly gives up the ghost.-x16wda (January 11, 2014, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

+10 - I've never seen anybody break a HDD with defrag (unless they were doing it with an icepick), but I have seen it expose existing issues with a drive many times when it wandered across an area that was on-the-edge.

Replace and relax ... Unless you really like surprises... ;)

mouser:
Another vote for replace and don't trust your current erroring drive.

If the existing drive is a big one, you might buy yourself a cheap USB dock and you can use your current disc as an external backup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version