topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PC Shipments Drop Precipitously in 2013  (Read 3776 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PC Shipments Drop Precipitously in 2013
« on: January 10, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Article by Woody Leonard at InfoWorld shows the Gartner PC shipment numbers for 2013... and it ain't good. Gartner's estimate from a year ago with regard to PC shipments was that it would be a lackluster but tolerable year. But it turns out that PC shipments dropped by 10% in 2013. So I imagine this is a good time to buy your dream PC 'cause it might not be available too much longer.   :(

http://www.infoworld.com/t/desktop-pcs/pc-shipments-in-2013-dropped-precipitously-and-the-futures-murky-233951?page=0,0

Jim

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PC Shipments Drop Precipitously in 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 02:42 PM »
I tend to doubt the doom and gloom on the PC front.  It's just that the computer sales and increases was a bubble based on a premise that has changed...  their extraordinary sales numbers and increases were based on the consumer getting into the platform.  And as such, they revved up production scales, driving many of the mom and pop stores that were the basis of the PC market.  The uninformed consumer has moved on to tablets and smartphones now, so the market isn't flush.  If the Dells and such move on, then the small mom and pops will come back.

I speak from experience as I did that at one point, and it became hard to compete with mass produced dells and hps.  The desktop PC might be changing, but I tend to doubt that it's going anywhere in the near future, no matter what the corporates' bottom numbers might tell you.  Their sky is falling, but the sky isn't.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Hope you're right. I have an iPad and it gathers much dust. I don’t plan to give up my desktop computer. If Windows keeps turning toward touchpads and if Microsoft keeps going with their SAAS stuff then I guess I'll be learning all about the various Linux distributions.

Thank you.

Jim

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 09:01 AM »
There's a vast group of people who would have bought PCs five years ago, but instead they're buying tablets.  Surfing, email, Facebook and streaming video are all they need, and tablets work just fine for that.  Plus there's the "app factor" - find a new cool app your friends don't have and you get street creds  ;D
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 10:46 AM »
By street cred you mean getting kicked out of my door to the curb when you call a tablet a computer for everyone? ;)

Hey, if you say such things loud enough I might even forget to open the door first... ;D

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Maybe someone can explain to me, if the PC market is in the toilet, how Mr. Gates is Numero Uno again?  Is it all on tablets and smart phones? Or does he secretly own Papa John's Pizza?