topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Lan Alarmclock or Timer  (Read 8910 times)

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • NewPray.com - A description of a broken window for world peace, law proposals, prophecy explanations, conspiracies, and more.
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Lan Alarmclock or Timer
« on: January 06, 2014, 06:58 PM »
I've recently been counting down two hours after dinner to take a new old asthma medicine I've been prescribed, so I've been starting a simple alarm program on one of my computers.  I went looking for something to show a countdown on everything on my lan, or some client/server type program that would serve the purpose but came up empty.  I'd prefer not to have something that syncs time on the lan, but something simpler that just uses the time set on the first computer.  Can anyone offer any assistance or suggestions?  I've used AHK but other than that I don't have any programming skills.  Thanks.
Stop war, change U.S. Politics, Kabbalah, my case modding, etc: My Website.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Lan Alarmclock or Timer
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 07:54 PM »
not really my thing, but what about a simple web page?

set the page on one pc, and you can reference it from all the others?

a quick google search finds plenty of possible candidates though I can't vouch for their suitability

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:20 PM »
What about a cheap, physical timer?:

http://www.amazon.co...keywords=alarm+timer

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Isn't the moment you need to take the medicine the most important? When the moment arrives ton take the medicine, you could choose to send out a signal from the computer that keeps track of the time and setup a task on any of your computers in the LAN to responds to this signal in whichever way you see fit.

That would seem easier to do, it would at least not require to create software if you don't want to. The task manager manager in Windows 7 is quite able.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:32 PM »
^+1

Naturally, the easiest way would be to have the main computer remote shutdown all the others.

The sound of multiple Windows shutdown tunes would then alert you to take your medicine.

An added benefit is that it requires no software on the other computers.
 :)

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • NewPray.com - A description of a broken window for world peace, law proposals, prophecy explanations, conspiracies, and more.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 11:00 PM »
Gentlemen,
not really my thing, but what about a simple web page? ...  set the page on one pc, and you can reference it ...
I'm definitely looking for something that shows up on my two computers, or more when I go out to the courtyard with a notebook, etc, without having to find a webpage.

What about a cheap, physical timer?
Are you referring to my ex-wife? jk* No clutter space left around here, and I have computers on most of the day.

Isn't the moment you need to take the medicine the most important? ...
The time is always different depending on when I eat.

^+1

Naturally, the easiest way would be to have the main computer remote shutdown all the others.

The sound of multiple Windows shutdown tunes would then alert you ...
I only have about seventeen windows computers in the house I could turn on.  Also, the 2-wheeling of my youth has left me with poor hearing. jk* jk*

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 12:05 AM »
This is thinking outside of the box a bit, perhaps, but if you have a smartphone that you carry with you, you can set a timer on it.

On Android you can open up Google Now and click the microphone button (or say "OK Google") and then say "Set timer for 2 hours" and it will sound an alarm ringtone two hours from then.

I imagine that Siri on iOS can do something similar.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 04:11 PM »
I thought the smartphone (or in my case, Palm) would be a sensible way.

Could you use one of the sticky notes programs to send a note to your other computers on a schedule?  E.g. this from Zhorn Software Stickies:
Stickies can be transferred from one machine to another either over a TCP/IP network connection, or by using an SMTP mail server or MAPI client:

Hierarchical friends list, which may be automatically transferred from other friends
    Play a sound file on receive
    Signature for transmitted or emailed stickies
    Favourite friends, and custom lists can be made

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Or maybe a service like FollowUpThen.  However, I'm wondering whether the important thing is the time delay after a meal, with meals not being taken absolutely to the clock.

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 06:41 PM »
rjbull, thanks I haven't tried this software in years and it's much improved but doesn't send on schedule or keep as alarm if sent.
...  Could you use one of the sticky notes programs to send a note to your other computers on a schedule?  E.g. this from Zhorn Software Stickies:

You're right on here:
...  wondering whether the important thing is the time delay after a meal, with meals not being taken absolutely to the clock.  ...