topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Cobian Backup  (Read 22847 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cobian Backup
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:41 AM »
I am sad.  :(
I am been using cobian backup for several years.
I have a problem with the program that goes the system slower and associated problems with the last version under windows 7.
Now the forum cobian is closed.
so I need better alternatives to this splendid program that is predicted to finish or take new care in other hands.

Do you know alternatives ?

Best Regards
 :huh:

edited to add a link to this program features :

http://www.cobiansoft.com/cobianbackup.htm

File Based Backup
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:54 AM by Contro »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cobian Backup
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 03:48 PM »
What is Cobian able to do? How do you use it?

IIRC I read somewhere that Cobian recognises when an external/usb drive is added - and recognises *which* drive has been added, and then automatically starts the correct backup. (Am I remembering correctly?)
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Breaking news: Cobian Backup Source Code is now for sale.
Read more here.
Cobian Backup 11 (Gravity) Last modified: 07. March 2013
Features

Cobian Backup is a multi-threaded program that can be used to schedule and backup your files and directories from their original location to other directories/drives in the same computer or other computer in your network. FTP backup is also supported in both directions (download and upload).

Cobian Backup exists in two different versions: application and service. The program uses very few resources and can be running on the background on your system, checking your backup schedule and executing your backups when necessary.

Cobian Backup is not an usual backup application: it only copies your files and folders in original or compressed mode to other destination, creating a security copy as a result. So Cobian Backup can be better described as a "Scheduler for security copies". Cobian Backup supports several methods of compression and strong encryption.
See what's new in every version
See the program's FULL history
See the program's evolution
http://www.cobiansof...cobianbackup_faq.htm
-FAQ

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:35 PM »
What is Cobian able to do? How do you use it?

IIRC I read somewhere that Cobian recognises when an external/usb drive is added - and recognises *which* drive has been added, and then automatically starts the correct backup. (Am I remembering correctly?)

Cobian lives in Sweden and talks spanish. He is from Catalonia and a very good guy. Is all I know. It's a backup program. But not the usual backup program. Is a multi-copy files from one place to another.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Breaking news: Cobian Backup Source Code is now for sale.
Read more here.
Cobian Backup 11 (Gravity) Last modified: 07. March 2013
Features

Cobian Backup is a multi-threaded program that can be used to schedule and backup your files and directories from their original location to other directories/drives in the same computer or other computer in your network. FTP backup is also supported in both directions (download and upload).

Cobian Backup exists in two different versions: application and service. The program uses very few resources and can be running on the background on your system, checking your backup schedule and executing your backups when necessary.

Cobian Backup is not an usual backup application: it only copies your files and folders in original or compressed mode to other destination, creating a security copy as a result. So Cobian Backup can be better described as a "Scheduler for security copies". Cobian Backup supports several methods of compression and strong encryption.
See what's new in every version
See the program's FULL history
See the program's evolution
http://www.cobiansof...cobianbackup_faq.htm
-FAQ

I use as a service. With the last version I have being noticing ralentizing very much my pc during the copies.
At the first time I thought was only when backup Goldmine (a program i use intensivily), but is ever. By example backing up thunderbird.

It's very annoying at the present moment.

I need an alternative.

paulobrabo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • The Brazilian Bomber
    • View Profile
    • Brabo Illustration
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 01:47 AM »
I've used Cobian backup for many years, but I also feel it keeps using more and more resources.

I have tried many alternatives (there are thousands) but I'm settling with the simplicity of bvckup (fast, free):
http://www.bvckup.com
  • Real-time, periodic or manual backups
    Continuously monitor folders for changes and update their backup copies immediately after the originals are modified. Or run backups at fixed time intervals.
  • Delta file copying
    Reduce the amount of data being transferred by copying modified parts of the files only. This speeds up the backup, in many cases - dramatically.
  • Precise file replication
    Copy not only the file data, but also the attributes, timestamps, NTFS security and ownership information.
  • Intelligent error handling
    Rest assured that an issue with a specific file will not preclude the rest of the backup from completing. The program differentiates between file-specific and global errors and handles them differently.

Version 2, which won't be free but is currently in open beta, is even cooler and still tight:
http://www.bvckup2.com

Bvckup 2 is light, robust and simple to understand.
It is also incredibly fast.

Delta copying is a crown jewel of Bvckup 2. It detects and skips over unmodified parts of the files, cutting down processing time of larger files to a fraction.

If a backup goes to- or from- a removable storage device, Bvckup 2 will monitor for device removals and insertions and will run the backup only if the original device is present. It will also automatically adjust backup locations should the original device appear under a different drive letter.

Bvckup is not a two way sync. It doesn't compress, encrypt or FTP files. Nor does it come with a restore function. It does just one thing - it replicates the contents of one directory into another - and it does this exceptionally well.

All beta users are eligible for special upgrade pricing upon production release

I like when they make them lean and mean!  :Thmbsup:
English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 03:34 AM »
I've used Cobian backup for many years, but I also feel it keeps using more and more resources.

I have tried many alternatives (there are thousands) but I'm settling with the simplicity of bvckup (fast, free):
http://www.bvckup.com
  • Real-time, periodic or manual backups
    Continuously monitor folders for changes and update their backup copies immediately after the originals are modified. Or run backups at fixed time intervals.
  • Delta file copying
    Reduce the amount of data being transferred by copying modified parts of the files only. This speeds up the backup, in many cases - dramatically.
  • Precise file replication
    Copy not only the file data, but also the attributes, timestamps, NTFS security and ownership information.
  • Intelligent error handling
    Rest assured that an issue with a specific file will not preclude the rest of the backup from completing. The program differentiates between file-specific and global errors and handles them differently.

Version 2, which won't be free but is currently in open beta, is even cooler and still tight:
http://www.bvckup2.com

Bvckup 2 is light, robust and simple to understand.
It is also incredibly fast.

Delta copying is a crown jewel of Bvckup 2. It detects and skips over unmodified parts of the files, cutting down processing time of larger files to a fraction.

If a backup goes to- or from- a removable storage device, Bvckup 2 will monitor for device removals and insertions and will run the backup only if the original device is present. It will also automatically adjust backup locations should the original device appear under a different drive letter.

Bvckup is not a two way sync. It doesn't compress, encrypt or FTP files. Nor does it come with a restore function. It does just one thing - it replicates the contents of one directory into another - and it does this exceptionally well.

All beta users are eligible for special upgrade pricing upon production release

I like when they make them lean and mean!  :Thmbsup:

Don't seems to be a free proyect. And the first version is a beta.....

paulobrabo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • The Brazilian Bomber
    • View Profile
    • Brabo Illustration
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 04:04 AM »
And the first version is a beta.....

An incredibly stable beta, which I've been using for many, many years.  :-*

But to each his own, I'm sure you'll find a solution that fits you among the many available. The problem with asking for a software recommendation is that everyone works differently, and not everything works for everyone. Most of the times you'll have to try many things and discover for yourself which one of them suits you best.

You could start here:
http://www.techsuppo...-free-backup-program
And here:
http://www.techsuppo...ndations-reviews.htm

English will never be my first language, it doesn't meter how hard I try.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 04:47 AM »
Important to note the Bvckup does *not* do incremental backups - it will mirror your data - if you screw up the original and it gets backedup, the backup is screwed up too. Also does not compress backup IIUC.
I'm not complaining - just saying it might not be what people might expect.

Cobian doesnt do incremental backup either, does it? (Not clear from Curt's info post above.)

It was nice to meet Cobian from Sweeden Contro :D but you still havent explained exactly how you use Cobian - which would help us understand what exactly are you looking for.
"Backup" means different things to different people.

Service - OK, got that.
Next?

Tom

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Important to note the Bvckup does *not* do incremental backups - it will mirror your data - if you screw up the original and it gets backedup, the backup is screwed up too. Also does not compress backup IIUC.
I'm not complaining - just saying it might not be what people might expect.

Cobian doesnt do incremental backup either, does it? (Not clear from Curt's info post above.)

It was nice to meet Cobian from Sweeden Contro :D but you still havent explained exactly how you use Cobian - which would help us understand what exactly are you looking for.
"Backup" means different things to different people.

Service - OK, got that.
Next?

Cobian backup does incremental backups.

I am using with this program the backup concept in the sense of several copies of security of files and folders.
May be encrypted.
But are copies, not mirrors or other concepts

:P

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 07:42 AM »
And the first version is a beta.....

An incredibly stable beta, which I've been using for many, many years.  :-*

But to each his own, I'm sure you'll find a solution that fits you among the many available. The problem with asking for a software recommendation is that everyone works differently, and not everything works for everyone. Most of the times you'll have to try many things and discover for yourself which one of them suits you best.

You could start here:
http://www.techsuppo...-free-backup-program
And here:
http://www.techsuppo...ndations-reviews.htm

I'll take a look. Best Regards
 :-*

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Dont know will you get what you want free (run as a service).
I use Snycovery (SFFS) myself, but that costs.

Have you looked at this:
FreeFileSync - automated backup - Mini-Review
(Have set it up for others but dont use it myself.)
Tom

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 11:29 AM »

Have you looked at this:

By the name sounds like a type syncfile backup system.

I need a file based backup like cobian backup.
Is not sync like SyncBackFree.
I'll a look nevertheless

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 12:37 PM »
I'll put in another plug for SyncBack which has a free version and two paid versions (SE and Pro).  You'll need to determine if the features will meet your needs.

http://www.2brightsp...ck/syncback-hub.html

The paid versions are moderately priced and a license for non-commercial use permits installation on up to 5 machines.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 01:20 PM »

Have you looked at this:

By the name sounds like a type syncfile backup system.

I need a file based backup like cobian backup.
Is not sync like SyncBackFree.
I'll a look nevertheless

Does incremental backup - is that what you mean?
Tom

apankrat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • swapped.cc
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 03:10 PM »

But why are you switching?
Does the current version of Cobian have any issues that prevent you from keep using it?
Alex

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 03:50 PM »

Does the current version of Cobian have any issues that prevent you from keep using it?

Yes. I have problems. I comment at the beginning of the post.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I'll put in another plug for SyncBack which has a free version and two paid versions (SE and Pro).  You'll need to determine if the features will meet your needs.

http://www.2brightsp...ck/syncback-hub.html

The paid versions are moderately priced and a license for non-commercial use permits installation on up to 5 machines.

I am using the free version.
I have nowadays three levels of security copies
1. Cobian Backup
2. syncback free
3. Acronis

1. the first one is failing me. I use daily for obtain security copies in my two pc's.
Cobian copies files to the security copy disk T:
I obtain several copies of the same environment in a day with Cobian backup.
If something fails or an index is corrupt i don't wanna risk if only one security copy is affected too.

2. The second solution is used manually or automated by night to synchronized my two pc's certain folders.

3. Acronis needs no comment. I usually use to obtain a mirror copy of the system. But in this forum "everybody" knows that I always try to save the system by ordinary ways. I haven't restored a single image in all those years. Even suffering virus attacks. I have my acronis security copies unused while survive .....

apankrat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • swapped.cc
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 03:04 AM »
Yes. I have problems. I comment at the beginning of the post.

Right, sorry. It's just that you said "splendid" and then you asked for alternatives :)
Alex

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 11:43 AM »
 ;D
Be happy, don't worry

What do you think about .... ?

http://www.kls-soft.com/main/index.php

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 02:43 PM »
;D
Be happy, don't worry

http://www.kls-soft....p/feature_matrix.php

I thought you were looking for free?
If you are willing/able to spend money, I think you would be getting different recommendations...

I'd say try Syncovery (Super Flexible File Synchronizer) @ €50 for the Pro version in the EU http://www.syncovery.com/matrix/
Solid as a rock; runs as a service; my only complaint is too many options ... (yes, it can be a problem).
Tom

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 03:57 PM »
;D
Be happy, don't worry

http://www.kls-soft....p/feature_matrix.php

I thought you were looking for free?
If you are willing/able to spend money, I think you would be getting different recommendations...

I'd say try Syncovery (Super Flexible File Synchronizer) @ €50 for the Pro version in the EU http://www.syncovery.com/matrix/
Solid as a rock; runs as a service; my only complaint is too many options ... (yes, it can be a problem).

tomos have the copy files/folders options and versions of the copies liks cobian backup or kls-soft.com ?

I am trying kls-soft.com and is similar to cobian backup. specially the feature shadow copy.

:P

Note: obviously i prefer free. But all the life is not like in donation coder.
Anyway I have to prepare my weak mind for a change. So I am learning.
Sure exists somewhere in this world a freebie with powerful results. Perhaps in Linux ?
 :-[

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 04:16 PM »

Have you looked at this:

Seems nice.
And in the post seems to be able to obtain copy files/folders backups and versions

I'll take a good look. I have download portable or made-portable version of this programs in the past.
Possibly I adopted syncback free by its powerful feature of several profiles running at the same time like syncovery does.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 04:23 AM »
^ can a portable version of Syncovery still setup the "run as a service"?

I reckon it can do pretty much anything you might want. Incremental; Delta backup of individual files; zipped delta incremental backup even; monitoring; etc. etc.. As I said before, my main problem with it is that it can do too much - at times I have gotten confused and made an incorrect selection in the profile settings.

Organisation of profiles is not great but can be done - they get grouped if they have the same first word in the name e.g.
FtoY IQ
FtoY Photos
FtoY documents

will all group under a collapsible heading FtoY

There's lots of info about it here on dc too, worth a search. Maybe most importantly is that it is very fast and very dependable. (Oh yeah, email support from author very good too.)
Tom

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 08:32 AM »

I reckon it can do pretty much anything you might want. Incremental; Delta backup of individual files; zipped delta incremental backup even; monitoring; etc. etc.. As I said before, my main problem with it is that it can do too much - at times I have gotten confused and made an incorrect selection in the profile settings.

Organisation of profiles is not great but can be done - they get grouped if they have the same first word in the name e.g.
FtoY IQ
FtoY Photos
FtoY documents

will all group under a collapsible heading FtoY

There's lots of info about it here on dc too, worth a search. Maybe most importantly is that it is very fast and very dependable. (Oh yeah, email support from author very good too.)

May be not. But I have a bad custom : made portable. This means i install in a data disk. sure something is written in the system.
But I have the configuration in the data disk
I some day i change the system pc operation disk or if i change the pc i must reinstall again for the missing components, but i have the configuration in the data disk..... and the data of that program. so for me is an advantage install in "mode portable2, even is the program is not really portable.

Of course sometimes the program writes directly the configuration in the system registry. In those cases i take a command to remember me I must have a security copy of a branch or key in the windows registry. .....