ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Encryption software

<< < (5/6) > >>

f0dder:
mwb1100: even VirtualLock isn't guaranteed to keep windows from swapping out pages. If you REALLY need that, you'll have to write a driver - one for 9x, one for NT, one for 64bit NT. And getting those installed etc. wouldn't really fit in the philosophy of fSekrit.

Also, it wouldn't really help - I'm using a standard RichEdit control for the text, and as far as I know it uses it's own memory management and there's no way to change that.

I don't think the paging issue is to be worried about for as small files as fSekrit will probably be used for - and on shared machines, indeed keyloggers and the like are much more real issues.

Carol Haynes:
You can use the Group Policy Editor in Windows XP Pro and 2003 to force Windows to purge the page file when you restart the machine. Given the number of times the Pagefile gets written to during a windows session this should be a pretty efficient way of removing an paged out traces of information.

mwb1100:
f0dder: I see - I thought VirtualLock() might be a help, but your explanation makes good sense.

f0dder:
f0dder: I see - I thought VirtualLock() might be a help, but your explanation makes good sense.
-mwb1100 (June 09, 2006, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
To be honest, I'm not sure whether it is effective on NT or not - but on 9x it's a null stub. I wouldn't think a usermode process would be allowed to lock pages, but perhaps it is... too lazy to look into it right now. But if it works and could be combined with some own-buffer stuff for the richedit, it might be worth looking into.

Santeria:
hi,

i'm using DriveCrypt from SecurStar.

it's very good for me and so far i didn't have problems with it...

cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version