ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Too many programs in my start menu!

(1/3) > >>

TaoPhoenix:

Heh I installed so many practice programs... that now my last row of the start menu/programs is off the screen!

Is there a trick to "compact" all that blank space so you can see them?

SQUIDMAN:
I don't think there is, if you really don't use them all now might be a good time to uninstall.

app103:
And now you know why I have a "scary" taskbar.  :D

With over 200 entries listed under Programs, it's just not practical to have to go on there in a regular basis to find anything. Plus, nothing in the Start menu is listed by category to give me any sort of hint as to their purpose, in case I forget.

If having a scary taskbar like mine doesn't float your boat, maybe mouser's LaunchBar Commander might be more your speed.

You could create a more compact version of what I do, organizing it by purpose, and only having a few top level icons that you can click to reveal lists that are a whole lot more manageable and easier to find what you want.

Plus the built in "Start Menu" program list is in a single scrollable column:

Of course entries would have to be added manually to custom lists in LBC, as there is no way to add them automatically and have them sorted to where you would want them. But for stuff you plan on using even on a semi-regular basis, it might be well worth the time and bother to set it all up.

TaoPhoenix:
Somewhere in these two tips is the middle ground. I do have a lot of cruft because I try out tons of programs but really use less than say 40. I also made a shortcuts folder on my desktop with the top 10 "power hitters".

Though when I'm under some 75 apps I do prefer the Start Menu for those semi obscure things I keep stumbling into every six months.

So my post this time was to check that there wasn't just some cute little utility I wasn't aware of.

xtabber:
Organize your Start Menu into folders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version