topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2014 Release - epCheck  (Read 331518 times)

msteph

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2014 Release - epCheck
« Reply #225 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59 PM »
That seems to have fixed the disappearing checks.   :)

Mike.S

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: November 18, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Hi epCheck dev, the program is really fun, thank you for your hard work.

I know you don't make any promises for epCheck's usability on Win8.1 (x64) - I mention this only, well, to mention it  ;D

For no apparent reason and at various times the tooltip for "Search and add series" will pop up and the icon will highlight (as if the icon was moused over), for example, when epCheck is minimized then maximized. Where it happens regularly is when I update series data. Within moments of clicking "Refresh all series data now", magically the tooltip slowly appears and the icon reacts as if it was moused over yet the cursor is still located over the refresh data button - hopefully the image is attached.

epcheck.115b1.pngNANY 2014 Release - epCheck

My wishlist for epCheck  :Thmbsup:

1 ... The ability to add our own (extra) series images, abiding by the image dimensions already specified. I think you can but they get deleted when the series is updated.

2 ... When any Series info is elipsed (Title, Network, etc, blahblahblah ...), mousing over it reveals the full text instead of needing to drag the control which creates the horizontal scrollbar while also hiding info to the right, depending on your screen size of course. Many series episodes have long titles or they have multi-titled episodes. The Love Boat for example has very long multi-titled episodes and all of them are elipsed (...). The only way to see the complete title is by dragging the Title over to the right. It would be pretty cool to mouse over any elipsed text and the full line is revealed, maybe as a bubble/balloon tooltip.

3 ... The ability to Search for an episode title or for an episode title keyword that appears in various episodes, similiar to Find, Find Next, (Find All in Current Series) - similiar to text editor functionality. Example, I highlight a series from my list of shows, an Episode Search button is created or activated while the episode list is populated as usual. I type in the search box my keyword, click Find - the episode or keyword is located and highlighted, or a list of episodes with the keyword is presented in a list associated with the Series I highlighted.

4 ... Series and Series Episode "Details" buttons - highlight a series from list, click "Series Details", the details would be something like Starring, From/To Dates, # of eps, etc. Click an episode, "Episode Details" might contain guest stars, etc. Possibly this info could be user created and maintained, stored in a file, the button might bring up the text in the default text editor, maybe something a bit nicer, a nice dialog box with preconfigured fields that are read from a file that the user will maintain and edit with a specified layout :-\

I fully understand that you have a life and if I remember correctly you didn't want epCheck to become a behemoth of an app. I've been using epCheck for quite a while now, consulting it often for specifics, as I frequent fan sites for some shows on my list. The features I mention (IMO) would make epCheck quicker to use and even more robust, search rather than scrolling up and down long lists for an episode, greater details for series and series episodes (user maintained), etc.

Again, I don't have any expectations and I'm definately not making even subtle demands, I offer my wishlist as food for thought only.

Mike

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: November 18, 2014, 11:44 AM »
Darn if that isn't the most polite feature request I've seen!

Jim

Mike.S

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2014, 12:28 PM »

Jim

Hmm, looking at your sig I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Just so you know, I'm licensed to carry, and I've warn the nickel off the trigger :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: November 18, 2014, 12:35 PM »
^lol, hadn't noticed Jim's sig before -
but I'd say that's not sarcasm - I had the same thought myself :up:
Tom

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Hi epCheck dev, the program is really fun, thank you for your hard work.

You're very welcome.  I'm glad you find it useful.  Welcome to DonationCoder, too.   :D  And, I'm sure Jim was being quite sincere about his comment regarding your post.  I agree with him; it's a great first post.   :)

For no apparent reason and at various times the tooltip for "Search and add series" will pop up

I see this as well from time to time and I'm 99.9% positive it's due to the toolbar class I use.  I can ask the toolbar class author about it.

1 ... The ability to add our own (extra) series images, abiding by the image dimensions already specified. I think you can but they get deleted when the series is updated.

Sure, this is absolutely doable and add to my ToDo list.

It would be pretty cool to mouse over any elipsed text and the full line is revealed, maybe as a bubble/balloon tooltip.

This is easily doable with one caveat -- when a window is set to AlwaysOnTop, the tooltip doesn't work.  I think it's a bug/limitation within AHK, so, if you can live with that, I can add that.

3 ... The ability to Search for an episode title or for an episode title keyword that appears in various episodes, similiar to Find, Find Next, (Find All in Current Series) - similiar to text editor functionality.

This has been asked for before but I held off then to allow epCheck to mature a bit.  However, it might be time to reinvestigate adding something like this.  I've added it to my ToDo.

4 ... Series and Series Episode "Details" buttons - highlight a series from list, click "Series Details", the details would be something like Starring, From/To Dates, # of eps, etc. Click an episode, "Episode Details" might contain guest stars, etc. Possibly this info could be user created and maintained, stored in a file, the button might bring up the text in the default text editor, maybe something a bit nicer, a nice dialog box with preconfigured fields that are read from a file that the user will maintain and edit with a specified layout :-\

I like this idea.  However, I doubt I'd make it user-definable since I think most of the data you want is contained within the XML data files.  If it's missing, say, certain guest stars, I think it'd be preferable to add that data to TVDB.com so that all can benefit.

It might be a few weeks before I can get to any of this, though.  Work deadlines this week, holiday next week, NANY coding in December, etc.  In the meantime, have you checked out the latest beta?  If not:

https://www.donation....msg368839#msg368839

I already incorporated your ellipsed/tooltip feature into that build.  Cheers.   :D

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2014, 04:06 PM »

Jim

Hmm, looking at your sig I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Just so you know, I'm licensed to carry, and I've warn the nickel off the trigger :)

Not sarcastic at all! The post, that is. As for the signature?  Hmmm..   ;)

Jim

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Nice to hear that you might implement that search function I asked for a ways back.

Another request I was wondering about. Maybe Making the entire line/background of en episode another color for the last listed episode for us who are not keeping track of how long the season is. Not to mention so series have 13 then change to 18, then back to 13. Either way it would be nice to be able to see at a glance when a season finale is here.

wallman2001

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: December 10, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Hi...I have just started using your software and it is a great tool.  Just having one issue that I am not sure about.  I am searching for a show, i.e. Eye Candy  and it is on the TVdb site (http://www.thetvdb.c...;id=278448&lid=7) but it doesn't show it under the search, no matter what I try to search under.

Any thoughts?

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2014, 07:24 PM »
The URL is different so I imagine the program can not search it correctly.

Eye Candy:     http:// www.thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=278448&lid=7
Supernatural: http:// www.thetvdb.com/index.php?tab=series&id=78901&lid=7

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: December 10, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Hi, wallman2001, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :)

Hi...I have just started using your software and it is a great tool.  Just having one issue that I am not sure about.  I am searching for a show, i.e. Eye Candy  and it is on the TVdb site (http://www.thetvdb.c...;id=278448&lid=7) but it doesn't show it under the search, no matter what I try to search under.

This is due to the fact that the TVDB.com website search and its API search don't return the same results (for whatever reason  :-\).  What I mean is that you can search for "Eye Candy" directly on the site and it's listed in the results.  Searching the same string using the proper API doesn't return the show.  Rather frustrating for both of us, eh?

That said, if you're inclined, you can modify the appropriate profile file in your epCheck data folder and add the show manually.  Kludgy, yes, but it'll get you the show in your epCheck install.  Let me know if you can't figure it out and I'll give you a step by step.

Finally, if you're interested in testing the latest epCheck beta, read this post: https://www.donation....msg368839#msg368839

wallman2001

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: December 10, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply...I am not too sure how to do it manually, so if you could give me a step by step that would be great  :)

Oh and I have downloaded the beta and I am trying it out now...Love the new monthly view...Great Program!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:18 PM by wallman2001 »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: December 11, 2014, 12:05 AM »
Just installed the beta with the monthly view. Can you please add the option to allow "Monday" to be the first day of the week? I hate calendars with Sunday as the first day!

Thanks!

Jim

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply...I am not too sure how to do it manually, so if you could give me a step by step that would be great  :)

@wallman2001: Here you are.  If this proves too complicated, I'd be happy to do a TeamViewer session with you where I can remote in to your computer (with your permission and authorization, of course) and do this for you.

• Search for and add any show.  Make note of the show name and the profile name you added it to.
  • Go to the Series tab, find the show, right-click and use the "Web Search > TVDB.com" option.  At the end of the URL is the show's ID number.  Make note of this ID number.
  • Close epCheck.
  • Use a file manager (Windows Explorer, etc.) to navigate to the "data" folder within your epCheck install folder.
  • Open the <profile name>.txt file in a text editor.
  • Find the line which corresponds to the show you just added.  Modify the ID and name as necessary.  Save the file.
  • Open epCheck, choose the correct profile, and you should see a row with your desired show.  Right-click it and choose the "Refresh series data" option.
  • Done.

Just installed the beta with the monthly view. Can you please add the option to allow "Monday" to be the first day of the week? I hate calendars with Sunday as the first day!

@J-Mac: No promises, but I'll add it to my list.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 10:37 AM by skwire »

wallman2001

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2014, 09:42 PM »
So I opened up epCheck to do the manual steps and it was refreshing the series data it came up with error:

There was a problem unzipping the series data. You might have to run epCheck as an administrator.

I am running as an administrator, so is this a serious issue?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2014, 10:23 PM »
So I opened up epCheck to do the manual steps and it was refreshing the series data it came up with error:
There was a problem unzipping the series data. You might have to run epCheck as an administrator.

Nah...happens sometimes.  Does restarting epCheck help?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #241 on: December 13, 2014, 10:38 PM »

Same issue here. First I get an error message saying the program cannot run and to try running as administrator. Then it says it cannot open the zipped archive, and the same "run as administrator" comment again.

I am running it as administrator in the first place. Epcheck does eventually open however it takes a very long time opening each series, and the program becomes unresponsive a lot of the time. This was all since I installed the latest beta version. I finally uninstalled it and reinstalled the previous version. (Properties dialog says the File Version is 1.1.4.1 and the Program Version is 1.1.13.0).

Thanks!

Jim

wallman2001

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: December 13, 2014, 10:46 PM »
I restarted and it loaded fine, but I did go to each of the shows that wouldn't unzip and refresh them so that the data was loaded...When I did the refresh on all shows a couple of times, the error came up for different shows as well..

On another note, I followed your manual steps and it worked perfectly...thanks.

Also a new question...I have 3 different shows that aren't showing a banner picture even though they do have banners on thetvdb.com...is there a reason they aren't showing?
-Quick update on this, I deleted the folders and uploaded images to thetvdb.com and when I refreshed the tv data for the shows, my image did show up, but the others didn't, so I am not sure what is happening there.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:39 PM by wallman2001 »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2015, 01:01 PM »
I've uploaded a new beta that, hopefully, fixes the "There was a problem unzipping the series data. You might have to run epCheck as an administrator." error.  It was due to incomplete/corrupt zip downloads from TVDB.com.  epCheck now checks for that and should handle it appropriately.  If you test it out, please let me know if you see the error again.

http://skwire.dcmemb...epcheck/epCheck_.zip

dallas7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2015, 05:06 PM »
Howdy. 1.1.5.1 spent a considerable amount of time (Not Responding) and then presented the "problem unzipping" message.  And I had to close it with Task Manager.  So I came over here and found 1.1.5.163 and that seems to unzip all the data but epCheck does enter into (Not Responding) a half a dozen times or so.  Actually, then, not so sure all the data gets unzipped...

The calendar is a big  :Thmbsup:

Anyhow, I created an account here so I don't have to bother you with emails as I did when we worked on ClipTrap's timed clearing over at my gmail account.  :)  I'll turn on the "notify me" to this thread.  I'll keep an eye out for any more betas or if you need more info. -Dallas E.

Cheers.

UPDATE:
Responding to an epiphany, after moving out my Data folder, I created an empty Data folder and dropped in only the MyShows.txt file.

After several “Refresh all series data now” and restarts, all seems to have settled down and the data for all series appears complete.

I did disable Banners, but I’ve been wanting to do that for a while.  All 35 folders were re-built with the three xml files in each.  As well as TVDB_Languages.xml and watched.ini.

I’m going to use epCheck again next week and see what pans out.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 06:17 PM by dallas7, Reason: Yes. »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2015, 06:28 PM »
So I came over here and found 1.1.5.163 and that seems to unzip all the data but epCheck does enter into (Not Responding) a half a dozen times or so.

The problem is two-fold:

• I use the 7-zip application to handle the unzipping so while it's actually unzipping a file, epCheck can't do anything but wait.  However, most of the zips are pretty small so the waits here shouldn't affect things much.
  • The bigger issue at hand is that the TVDB.com site has been really slow lately.  Most of the Not Responding is epCheck simply waiting for the zip downloads to finish.

It's rather frustrating as there isn't a whole lot that I can do about it.  Sadly, the best advice I can give is to simply leave epCheck alone while it's doing the updates.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2015, 09:25 PM »
So I came over here and found 1.1.5.163 and that seems to unzip all the data but epCheck does enter into (Not Responding) a half a dozen times or so.

The problem is two-fold:

• I use the 7-zip application to handle the unzipping so while it's actually unzipping a file, epCheck can't do anything but wait.  However, most of the zips are pretty small so the waits here shouldn't affect things much.
  • The bigger issue at hand is that the TVDB.com site has been really slow lately.  Most of the Not Responding is epCheck simply waiting for the zip downloads to finish.

It's rather frustrating as there isn't a whole lot that I can do about it.  Sadly, the best advice I can give is to simply leave epCheck alone while it's doing the updates.

Is it possible to call 7-zip on a worker thread so the UI at least won't lock up?  Not sure what your limitations are, but I figured I'd at least suggest it.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2015, 09:29 PM »
Not really.  AutoHotkey is single-threaded.   >:(

ziffel66

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2015, 11:17 AM »
Monthly view is awesome. Thanks for adding this! :up:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Not really.  AutoHotkey is single-threaded.   >:(

I figured as much... but figured it was worth at least asking.  It might be worth it to have a wrapper in a more robust language for tasks like this that would offload the actual long running task to a background thread...  would that be helpful?