topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2014 Release - epCheck  (Read 331542 times)

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2014 Release - epCheck
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2014, 02:23 PM »
OK. One other suggestion.

Maybe when you click to check that a show is watched it could be removed from the weekly tab? I have it go back 21 days since I tend to skip some shows in favor of others. I tend to miss many at a time since I am a full time student and a single parent with an active kid life. So I miss many at a time and why it is so long back.

Other than that I can say it is done for me. Except maybe watching the download folder so a dbl click would launch the show itself. ;-)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2014, 03:05 PM »
Great program! I just downloaded it tonight and tried it out. What little I entered so far is looking pretty good!   :D

Thanks, this has been a fun one to code.

One issue I encountered: Gotta be real careful when resizing the window.

I have seen/experienced this occsionally as well and I think the problem is contained in one of the various libraries I use to extend the capabilities of AutoHotkey.  Unfortunately, I've not been able to fully pin down why it does this.   :(  

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51 PM »
OK Jody. No biggie - I'll be careful.   8)

Thanks!

Jim

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Has anybody else tried the watched/unwatched functionality and, if so, had any issues with it?

msteph

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2014, 07:51 PM »
I'm using it with no issues so far.   :)

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Nope. Works well. Like I mentioned before, with a program like this to track my shows I no longer need to use online sites for it. Or a heavy clunky program that does 'more'.

Small, clean, and does what it is ment to well.

Maybe one issue.

I noticed that on a few occasions that it would take a long time to launch. I am assuming that it is gathering information at this time from the web and updating information about the shows.

Is it possible to have that part working as a background thread while the GUI itself loads? Sorta like load last state and after GUI is active for xxx milliseconds it gathers the information? Maybe it is only noticeable for me since I am working on a older P4.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2014, 09:00 AM »
I'm using it with no issues so far.   :)

Thanks for the feedback.   :Thmbsup:

I noticed that on a few occasions that it would take a long time to launch. I am assuming that it is gathering information at this time from the web and updating information about the shows.

Actually, it only runs that routine after the GUI is shown so I'm not sure what is causing the slow startup.   :huh:

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Minor one.

If you change the setting for 'The' to be at the end it will not update the ones you had added before.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2014, 10:22 PM »
@J-Mac: Will you please try this latest interim build and see if that resizing bug has been alleviated at all?  Thanks.

http://skwire.dcmemb...pCheck_v1.1.0.37.zip

If you change the setting for 'The' to be at the end it will not update the ones you had added before.

Not a bug.  You can rename a highlighted series by slow-clicking it twice or by pressing F2.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:26 PM by skwire »

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: February 01, 2014, 08:35 AM »
OK. Maybe another feature request.

I mentioned once before how I like to go back through older series and watch them. This is usually a catch up with the episode by episode when the current running series are not active.

Is there a way to add either a second tab for series or maybe have it so that if you right click on the series tab it will switch from "current/ongoing" to a "canceled/catch when I can" tab.

Right now, for me, there is around a 100 in the current tab (many shows are British and tend to be 4-8 episodes long but take a year to get to the next season), and once I get around to adding all the canceled series it could balloon up to 250-300 shows.

So to boil it down it would/could be pretty convenient to be able to separate these. Also a slight boon would be that any series added to a second tab could be excluded from the auto refresh and weekly tab so manual updating would be needed.

Maybe even a chance at a third tab for all series previously watched in full so one could go back over them at a later date but not be bothered with them taking up space in the active ongoing tabs.

Another thought. If people keep using your program to keep track of shows new and canceled it might be nice to have a search functions on the story line. The idea being you know it was a TV show you seen but can narrow it down. If you did it on the web there would be many false positive. If you used epCheck it knows specifically which shows you seen and can narrow it down with keyword search.

I know this would probably be expanding on what your original intent was for this program but it if ideas are not presented.... Programs like yours will reach a matured state and updating will fall off so I am trying to get as many ideas/request in so that even after five years after the last update your program can still be successfully used.

Another edit. Just was looking and thgought about  maybe having the # and episode column set to a default minimum so as to be able to always have that information visible. Seen that many times when # hits three digits things get covered.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:22 PM by nickodemos, Reason: Clean up ideas and added a few more. »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2014, 04:17 PM »
I really appreciate your enthusiasm for epCheck so I hope you're not too disappointed when I tell that most of your requests are somewhat out of scope for what I intended for epCheck.  I'll go through your requests...

Is there a way to add either a second tab for series or maybe have it so that if you right click on the series tab it will switch from "current/ongoing" to a "canceled/catch when I can" tab.

I have been rolling around in my head a sort of "profiles" type of functionality where you could save/load specific lists of shows.  In other words, you could make several lists to cover your needs: watching, watched, cancelled, etc.  I wasn't thinking additional tabs...more like a drop-down where you could select which profile to view.  No ETA at this time, though.

Another thought. If people keep using your program to keep track of shows new and canceled it might be nice to have a search functions on the story line.

I really doubt I'll ever add something like this. IMO, this is way out of scope for epCheck.

Another edit. Just was looking and thgought about  maybe having the # and episode column set to a default minimum so as to be able to always have that information visible. Seen that many times when # hits three digits things get covered.

Since the widths of the listviews are automatically saved, just resize the column as you need.

The latest interim build is here and adds colouring to the main episode list: http://skwire.dcmemb...pCheck_v1.1.0.42.zip

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:25 PM by skwire »

nickodemos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2014, 05:02 PM »
I really appreciate your enthusiasm for epCheck so I hope you're not too disappointed when I tell that most of your requests are somewhat out of scope for what I intended for epCheck.  I'll go through your requests...

What can I say. When I find things that just work I tend to like to see them get fleshed out if they can be.

Nah. Never disappointed. I work as a moderator on a website and for the first two years I bombarded the owner on things that could be done or would come in handy. Maybe 1/30 ever seen the light of day. What he was able to get in there though made huge improvements.

So with that said, don't think I get upset when things I think of get shot down. After all if you don't have someone pointing things out, or nudging you a bit, you might not follow through on the ideas you have not implemented yet or might come at something from another angle.

Search function would have been nice but is a none issue. How about a workaround.

Noticed that the save to CSV only does one series at a time. If we could highlight what we liked one could select all and then search a CSV file.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Noticed that the save to CSV only does one series at a time. If we could highlight what we liked one could select all and then search a CSV file.

You know...all the data you want is in the XML files in the data folder.  You could write a script or a parser to search through those.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Since I haven't heard of any problems with these interim builds, I'm going to go ahead and promote it to a release.

Website | Download
v1.1.1 - 2014-02-04
    + Added a simple tracking ability to epCheck.  You can now set the
      watched/unwatched state using the checkboxes for each episode.
    + Added a "Show special episodes" option to control whether or not a
      series' special episodes are listed.  (Thanks, lanux128)
    + Added an option to give some control over how many banner images are
      downloaded for a series.  (Thanks, nickodemos)
    + Colours now apply to the Series tab episode list.
    * Broke out the search functionality to its own tab.
    ! Worked around an issue where the episode list would sometimes be
      loaded twice.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2014, 06:36 PM »
thanks for the new update! works well here.. :Thmbsup:

joby_toss

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2014, 01:01 PM »
Thank you very much for the new features!

P.S. I have updated the screenshot for the TPFC entry, hope you're OK with it (animated .gif with 4 frames and 5 seconds delay).
I am a 3D body trapping a single dimension soul.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2014, 01:44 PM »
Thank you very much for the new features!

P.S. I have updated the screenshot for the TPFC entry, hope you're OK with it (animated .gif with 4 frames and 5 seconds delay).

No problem at all.   :D. Thanks for taking care of that.

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2014, 03:49 PM »
thanks for the update/release! :Thmbsup:

I found a small bug when adding a series and refreshing one series. Both actions result in the following unzip error:

There was a problem unzipping the series data. You might have to run epCheck as administrator

As a result of the error the folder for that series is empty. I used epCheck version of 15th Jan to restore the folder contents  ;)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2014, 04:36 PM »
I found a small bug when adding a series and refreshing one series. Both actions result in the following unzip error:

I'm a little unclear so could you please provide some more detail?  Was this a particular series?  Or, are you saying that you were adding and refreshing at the same time?  Or....?

wjamoe

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: February 07, 2014, 02:50 PM »
I replaced the 2014-01-15 epcheck.exe version by the 2014-02-04 version..
then I added a new series: Burn notice and refreshed Castle (2009)
both gave the same unzip error, does that help?

I renamed data folder and ran the program again, it works now okay

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:17 AM by wjamoe »

elbooker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2014, 04:33 PM »
Good piece of software...

But, since version 1.1.0.37 I found bug... Try ''500 nations'' series, and I can't see episodes. I think that bug is because that is no air date in culumn ''air date''. Also, in new version 1.1.1 some banner images is not downloaded in my local folder. When I try manualy to put banners image from site, epCheck delete all pictures on new automatic refresh.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2014, 07:11 PM »
I replaced the 2014-01-15 epcheck.exe version by the 2014-02-04 version..
then I added a new series: Burn notice and refreshed Castle (2009)
both gave the same unzip error, does that help?

Both those series load fine for me.  Are you running epCheck under an Administrator account?

Good piece of software...

Thanks, elbooker, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.

But, since version 1.1.0.37 I found bug... Try ''500 nations'' series, and I can't see episodes. I think that bug is because that is no air date in culumn ''air date''. Also, in new version 1.1.1 some banner images is not downloaded in my local folder. When I try manualy to put banners image from site, epCheck delete all pictures on new automatic refresh.

Thank for the bug reports.  I believe I have both of these fixed in the latest version (1.1.3).  Please download, test, and let me know.   :)

Website | Download
v1.1.3 - 2014-02-07
    ! Series without air dates were not displayed.  (Thanks, elbooker)

v1.1.2 - 2014-02-07
    * Some toolbar changes.
    ! Not all images were downloaded when "All" was selected in Options.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 07:41 PM by skwire »

elbooker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2014, 06:15 AM »
Thank, Skwire.

Version 1.1.3 working fine.
I have one sugestion: Favorite series tab, next to Series tab? or: Wached tab and unwatched tab.

Anyway, epCheck is part of my collection, and wish you many good ideas. Maybe ''MoviesCheck'' from IMDB...  :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Thank, Skwire.
Version 1.1.3 working fine.

Good to hear.  Thank you.

I have one sugestion: Favorite series tab, next to Series tab? or: Wached tab and unwatched tab.

As I mentioned previously, I have been rolling around in my head a sort of "profiles" type of functionality where you could save/load specific lists of shows.  In other words, you could make several lists to cover your needs: watching, watched, cancelled, etc.  I wasn't thinking additional tabs...more like a drop-down where you could select which profile to view.  I have started work on this but no ETA at this time.  Here's a teaser screenshot:

2014-02-08_223424.jpgNANY 2014 Release - epCheck

Anyway, epCheck is part of my collection, and wish you many good ideas. Maybe ''MoviesCheck'' from IMDB...  :)

:D

elbooker

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Great idea.
Thank you, skwire.  :Thmbsup: