ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Upgrade to Windows 64-bit

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ath:
You can't have a parallel install of 64 and 32 bit of Windows 7 on the same partition, as Shades already explained. In fact, the last installed OS will replace the existing OS. Separate partitions (or disks) is the way to go for this feature. It would require a reboot to switch to the other install, though.
Hassling with Hyper-V from Server 2008R2/Server 2012 is only for the not-fainthearted (IOW knowledgeable) IMHO, so instead of that, I'd advise to create a clean install of Windows x64, and run (after possibly doing a P2V conversion) the 32 bit incarnation in a virtualized solution like VMWare Player (or better the non-free Workstation) or VirtualBox. Ample RAM memory is a requirement for such setup ofcourse, but 8GB for the host system should suffice, allowing the 32bit install 2 GB with enough space for normal use.

A re-install of Windows x64 is required, and advised, though.

If there are no reasons to keep the 32 bit OS around, then that's an easy solution as well, bite the bullet and just stop running the (virtualized) 32 bit OS :D

wraith808:
As mentioned above, I have to keep working during this, so reinstalling everything on the fly isn't an option.  :-\

I think I've got a handle on what I'm going to do, however, to make this possible.  Thanks for your input everyone!

techidave:
I am not wild about reinstalling all the software either.  Do I have time?  Kinda of.  Since I reinstall on a different hard drive I do have a good backup and can reinsert the old drive if it comes to that.

Going to a smaller had isn't that big of a concern as my docs and desktop are redirected to the server.

mouser:
i'd suggest you buy a new hard drive, do a fresh install of 64 bit on that.
with a cheap $30 usb dock you will be able to access your old documents and data on the old hard drive whenever you want, and revert back completely if you have issues.

wraith808:
i'd suggest you buy a new hard drive, do a fresh install of 64 bit on that.
with a cheap $30 usb dock you will be able to access your old documents and data on the old hard drive whenever you want, and revert back completely if you have issues.
-mouser (December 21, 2013, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I actually already have an extra 2TB drive in the machine... so my idea was to install to that one, but let windows handle the dual booting.  I'd been keeping an eye on that drive b/c I'd had problems before, so don't really have anything on it currently... and it's not had any issues, so a good test of the drive and controller, and a good option that keeps my work drive intact.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version