topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: again: lifetime key for Outpost Security Suite Pro  (Read 21039 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
again: lifetime key for Outpost Security Suite Pro
« on: December 20, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Some years ago I made the so far best software deal of my life, when I purchased a lifetime key for Outpost Security Suite Pro. The offer was only available for a weekend or so, so only a few people responded in time. Later on many has envied "us", because the pro version of the suite has grown to be acknowledged as one of the  best security suites at all. For several years Agnitum has offered lifetime keys for their firewall, but since that aforementioned weekend not for the suite - until now: Agnitum has had a change of mind and a new motto: "Pay once and stay protected for life", so this Christmas Agnitum is both launching version 9 AND once again offering lifetime licenses for their top-of-the-line suite!

http://www.agnitum.c...rity-suite/index.php
http://www.agnitum.c...hase/security-suite/

Unfortunately it is not crystal clear if this is a seasoned offer or a new, fixed policy.  :(

2013-12-20_172810.jpg
Our big news this holiday season is the official launch of the brand new Outpost 9 product line. Outpost Security Suite Pro, Outpost Firewall Pro and Outpost Antivirus Pro 9.0 are now available on Agnitum’s website.

True to the Agnitum promise of "pay once and get protected for life", we’re happy to announce a very special Christmas offer for Outpost Security Suite Pro. A lifetime license for Outpost Security Suite, with unlimited antivirus updates and product upgrades, is now available for only $59.95.

-Agnitum

I am very biassed, I think this is the best offer you can get for securing your PC.

2013-12-20_173521.jpg
our All-Round Proactive Defense Product
What’s Inside:

•    Anti-Malware module with greater detection accuracy
  •    Two-way firewall for secure network connections
  •    Proactive Protection module to preemptively block unknown and zero-day threats
  •    SmartDecision technology to facilitate secure decision-making
  •    Web control with fast web content filtering to protect your PC from web-borne threats
  •    System and Applications Guard to keep installed software and OS protected
  •    Self-protection technology to maintain continuity of protection
  •    The 4th generation of SmartScan optimization technology for fast subsequent malware scans
  •    USB virus protection to prevent malware which spreads via USB devices
  •    Program activity tracker to review file and registry activity in real time
  •    Entertainment mode (for games and video) and Auto-Learn 2.0 (for beginners)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: again: lifetime key for Outpost Security Suite Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 12:57 PM »
Unfortunately it is not crystal clear if this is a seasoned offer or a new, fixed policy.

According to the press release:

Users purchasing the new version before the end of 2013 can get lifetime security for the price of a single year.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Just after I'd bought a three-year license for Online Armor   :o

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:54 PM »
yes, but a lifetime key is still valid when the 3 years have passed...  ;D

Ennovy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 03:44 AM »
Thanks! I took the offer  :D

sinum

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I got the lifetime Key before some Years and really like OSS. I don't see the lifetime Registration for OSS or Antivirus for some Years, only for the Firewall sometimes and now 2 times. 8:Q~
.sinum.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 03:26 PM »
I bought OSS at the same time Curt did & to be honest, I was taking a chance because the version at the time (v6.5) didn't work at all with my chosen OS (Windows 7), but I thought if it could get me away from the annual subscription for signatures AV vendors charge, it'd be worth it.

Each version has gotten better than the last and never once has my serial number quit working.

It doesn't hurt that Agnitum's firewall component is one of the best in the industry and one of the few that will pass all leak tests.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 04:52 PM »
yes, but a lifetime key is still valid when the 3 years have passed...  ;D
My credit card hurts.  Will I even live long enough to get the benefit?  Anyone know the way to softaholics detox? 

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 05:03 PM »
yes, but a lifetime key is still valid when the 3 years have passed...  ;D
My credit card hurts.  Will I even live long enough to get the benefit?  Anyone know the way to softaholics detox?  

can you sell on the 3 year Online Armor subscription?
... but I guess it would have to be in another thread :)
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Extended offer: Outpost lifetime security with unlimited updates!    

Were you too busy during the holiday season? No worries, we’re extending the very special lifetime offer for Outpost Security Suite and Outpost Firewall Pro until January 31, 2014!

Joe Hone

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 09:51 PM »
I really want to buy this but with repeated web searches, reading many posts comparing security suites, Outpost Security Suite Pro performs poorly, is not recommended, and in reviews free alternatives score better. My question for you users of Outpost - why do you use it instead of some of the alternatives? I expect to pay for a quality product, but my research thus far hasn't supported buying the lifetime license.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 11:38 PM »
I'm an Outpost Security Suite user, and I've used various anti-malware solutions over the years - and still sometimes do (for example, the machine at work has some variant of McAfee on it because I have nothing to do with the management of the machine).

In my experience, all anti-malware causes me pain. Mainly because when they report a problem there's so little useful information about the possible threat that I can't really make a good determination about whether or not it's a false positive or a real problem, And I suspect that most of the popups I get about possible malicious network traffic are in fact false positives. But I usually go ahead and choose to block whatever the anti-malware is complaining about and rarely run into problems because of it.

Anyway, I used to sometimes use free solutions, but have mostly moved away because I found that they tended to require more manual maintenance. Often one of the features that a free solution doesn't have is automatic updates.  I like my anti-malware to be as maintenance free as possible, because even the least in-your-face of these products seems to periodically want to ask you a bunch of questions that you can't reasonably answer anyway.

So I got a 3 PC Outlook Security Suite lifetime license way back when, and as far as I can tell it's served me as well as any other anti-malware has (or would have).

Basically, I see this class of software as a necessary evil. Every now and again I teeter toward considering it unnecessary because it sometimes seems that anti-malware causes at least as many problems as malware itself would.  However, I'm rather afraid of some of the malware out there, so I put up with the anti-malware because I don't feel that I understand how to effectively deal with it myself, and I don't want to take the time to become an expert.  I sure don't want to get hit with a crypto-ransomware trojan,  and I hope whatever anti-malware I have will protect me from that.  Currently I run Outpost Security Suite and Malwarebytes at home.

I know it's kind of a lukewarm endorsement, but I think that's more about the anti-malware software market as a whole rather than Outpost itself. I'm happy with my lifetime license purchase - I don't think I'd be any better off with another solution, free or not.  Since I've already paid for it several years ago, and the cost wasn't really anymore than a single year 3-PC license would have been, it's essentially free for me from here on out.

Joe Hone

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 09:48 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think the better approach for me is to acknowledge that anti-malware is playing catch-up almost all of the time so it is up to the user to practice safe web techniques and to use layers of protection. In this regard, the lifetime license for Outpost makes sense. I already use WinPatrol and an anti-keylogger, so Outpost would be another tool in the box.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 10:52 PM »
I really want to buy this but with repeated web searches, reading many posts comparing security suites, Outpost Security Suite Pro performs poorly, is not recommended, and in reviews free alternatives score better. My question for you users of Outpost - why do you use it instead of some of the alternatives? I expect to pay for a quality product, but my research thus far hasn't supported buying the lifetime license.

Outpost Security Suite hasn't always been great. Well, to be more specific, their firewall technology has always been without peer, but their AV has not always been up to par. They originally licensed their AV tech from Virusbuster, who didn't have a product that excelled in the marketplace. However, Agnitum bolstered their firewall to fill in a lot the weak spots of the AV and made great strides in bringing the AV component up to snuff.

In mid-August of 2012, though, Agnitum acquired the AV tech from Virusbuster and took the next 12 months to re-write and re-work the AV code, not submitting their product to testing sites till they were confident they had a product worth testing. The results speak for themselves:

http://www.virusbtn....b100/archive/summary

The new AV has gotten the coveted VB100 award the last two times it has been tested (every test since the release of the new AV). The firewall has already been critically lauded for its anti-leak protection so now both sides of the equation are now best in class.

So yeah, you're going to find lots of bad reviews of Outpost Security Suite on the internet, but I bet you can't find any bad reviews of version 9.0.

Regarding lifetime updates, I bought my lifetime license when version 6.5 had just been released. All these years later, version 9.0 is out and my license is still going strong. That's a lot of money saved.

Joe Hone

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Innuendo, thank you for taking the time to post. I just bought the suite and down the line I'll post my thoughts about it.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Joe, my pleasure to help someone out. My personality type demands I research everything to death so I am usually very well-informed long before I click that "Buy Now" button and I'm always glad to pass that knowledge along to those who either don't have enough time or enough patience to dig up all the facts.

And we'll be looking forward to hearing your impressions of the software later.

ACall

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 11:56 AM »
Agnitum offered the lifetime option a bit longer than advertised but it seems like it's gone now...   :(

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Agnitum offered the lifetime option a bit longer than advertised but it seems like it's gone now...   :(

Be patient...they seem to bring the offer back frequently.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Be patient...they seem to bring the offer back frequently.

-no, they don't; this was only the second time in four years. The frequent offer is merely for the firewall.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 11:55 AM »
-no, they don't; this was only the second time in four years. The frequent offer is merely for the firewall.

Looks like I was misremembering. I had it in my head that they had brought the offer back over the summer. :(  Looks like they might be starting a Christmas tradition, though. They offered the lifetime deal on the suite this past Christmas & the Christmas of 2012.

For those just looking for a firewall, their firewall product is top-rated as well.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 04:57 PM »
^ you're right, and I was wrong; Once a year is frequently.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 05:55 PM »
^ you're right, and I was wrong; Once a year is frequently.

How funny, Curt....I could easily say you're right, and I was wrong; Once a year is *not* frequently.  ;D

Regardless, I hope Agnitum repeats this offer for those who missed out on it this time. OSS v9 has behaved perfectly on my system & usually I have a couple niggles each release.

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 01:50 PM »
I ran the free version for quite a while and was very impressed with it.

Now I am running the Firewall Pro version on 5 of my computers.

Problem is I have licenses for 6. Please don't let me build another computer. ;)
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 11:42 PM »
Problem is I have licenses for 6. Please don't let me build another computer. ;)

You don't have to build another computer. Just buy a new laptop.  ;D