topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Fixed z-order for windows (keep z-order if a window is clicked)  (Read 5649 times)

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi forum,

especially on multi-monitor setups, it would be great if there was a way to click or work in application windows without having them jump in the foreground and covering up everything (on every monitor).

http://666kb.com/i/c3t5jnfjd69ppas04.png
Fixed z-order for windows (keep z-order if a window is clicked)

File manager spanning three monitors that covers up everything else on all monitors every time you quickly want to look something up, or quickly change a folder, scroll position, or similar (click to enlarge)

It would be amazing if someone could think of a way to code an utility that could provide this feature. TXmouse by Andy Polyakov actually (sort of) does it, however not with all applications (anymore), and with some unwanted side-effects like automatic window activation on mouse hover.

As with TXmouse, if you actually do want to change the window z-order (and bring a window to the front), you simply click on the respective windws's titlebar.

I've described it in detail over at the Actualtools.com forum, so please bear with me posting a link to the respective discussion:
Fixed Z-Order, don't change z-order if a window is clicked

Regards David.P

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fixed z-order for windows (keep z-order if a window is clicked)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 09:18 AM »
especially on multi-monitor setups, it would be great if there was a way to click or work in application windows without having them jump in the foreground and covering up everything (on every monitor).

If I understand you correctly, I believe you can do this with Direct Folders (even the free version). Once you have DF installed and running, all you need to do is right-click on the close [X] icon of the window you want to keep on top, and it will stay on top. Do same to deactivate.

Edit:
For some reason they don't mention this feature on their homepage, but there is more info on it here. Elsewhere they even provide a link to an alternative solution, WinRoll (which I haven't tried yet).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:26 AM by dr_andus »

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fixed z-order for windows (keep z-order if a window is clicked)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 09:33 AM »
Thanks but no,  I wouldn't need certain windows to stay on top. That would be easy to do anyway.

Rather, I'd need

• either: "every window that spans more than one monitor stay in the back where it is (even when clicked into)"
  • or: "each and every window keep its z-position under all circumstances (unless the titlebar is clicked - in that case, jump to the front)"

Regards David.P