topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2014 Pledge: Laptop utility to run any program on Lid Close  (Read 18425 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2014 Pledge:  Laptop utility to run any program on Lid Close.  Admittedly this will be an easy one.  But since I have a Laptop now I can test it.  I envision a check box for lock screen on close.  Maybe a Gui that allows dragging a shortcut and/or File Open Dialog to select the program.  I'll have to put together something to test to see if it makes sense to run something on Lid Open as that may require a service.  But the thing will do "something" when you close the Laptop Lid.  :)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2014 Pledge: Laptop utility to run any program on Lid Close
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Cool, Miles!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:18 AM »
I don't see a Program Info table. Assuming this one didn't make it by the deadline?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 11:34 AM »
I don't see a Program Info table. Assuming this one didn't make it by the deadline?

For some reason I was under the impression we had months to do these, not weeks.  I've been running around trying to get assistance taking college courses.  Looks like the assistance is illusory.  If it's past the deadline then I guess it's a no show.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 04:09 PM »

For some reason I was under the impression we had months to do these, not weeks.  I've been running around trying to get assistance taking college courses.  Looks like the assistance is illusory.  If it's past the deadline then I guess it's a no show.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Well, if you bug Mouser, you can probably slide it in late. As I understand it, it's a "squishy-soft" deadline. It's not like if you miss your tax return by the certain date evil penalties begin to appear!

It's just targeted as "New apps (or other stuff!) for the New Year", aka not really in June. Though I saw something a while back where Mouser thought about just this, and began pondering allowing the apps to be created any time of year, and only "pulled together" about now via the new year.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 05:41 PM »

For some reason I was under the impression we had months to do these, not weeks.  I've been running around trying to get assistance taking college courses.  Looks like the assistance is illusory.  If it's past the deadline then I guess it's a no show.  Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Well, if you bug Mouser, you can probably slide it in late. As I understand it, it's a "squishy-soft" deadline. It's not like if you miss your tax return by the certain date evil penalties begin to appear!

It's just targeted as "New apps (or other stuff!) for the New Year", aka not really in June. Though I saw something a while back where Mouser thought about just this, and began pondering allowing the apps to be created any time of year, and only "pulled together" about now via the new year.

That last must be what was in my mind.  I'm sure I'll do something.  Today is just not a good day.  I guess I'm a fair weather person.  People living in cold parts of the country probably laugh if I gripe about 48 degrees F but with 20 MPH wind and wet it's no fun to be out in it all night when you've acclimated to 60 or 70+ in December.  I'll buoy up with the temperature.  It should get good again in Miami by Thursday or so.  :)  I never was the out doorsy type.  :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:08 AM »
People living in cold parts of the country probably laugh if I gripe about 48 degrees F but with 20 MPH wind and wet it's no fun to be out in it all night when you've acclimated to 60 or 70+ in December.

I ain't laughing, it's freaking cold outside (I'm in central Florida) ... God I hate winter!

I vote we give Miles a few "snow days" to catch up.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 12:24 PM »
People living in cold parts of the country probably laugh if I gripe about 48 degrees F but with 20 MPH wind and wet it's no fun to be out in it all night when you've acclimated to 60 or 70+ in December.

I ain't laughing, it's freaking cold outside (I'm in central Florida) ... God I hate winter!

I vote we give Miles a few "snow days" to catch up.

Heh heh.  Believe it or not I was looking at these weird things around 5:30 this morning, hovering around the light over the stairs up to the train platform.  I could have sworn they were tiny snowflakes.  :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 05:17 PM »
Believe it or not I was looking at these weird things around 5:30 this morning, hovering around the light over the stairs up to the train platform.  I could have sworn they were tiny snowflakes.  :)
Nah, the guy on the next step up has dandruff.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 10:36 AM »
Believe it or not I was looking at these weird things around 5:30 this morning, hovering around the light over the stairs up to the train platform.  I could have sworn they were tiny snowflakes.  :)
Nah, the guy on the next step up has dandruff.

-cranioscopical (January 07, 2014, 05:17 PM)

Either that or they had A/C running on the platform.  :) I can't figure it out.  Miami natives hate the cold.  Anything below 70 F they wear a hood.  But Government Center Station A/C must be set to 52.  Maybe it's to chill the beer?  :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Anything below 70 F they wear a hood.
Must look a little odd with the thong!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 09:46 AM »
Anything below 70 F they wear a hood.
Must look a little odd with the thong!
-cranioscopical (January 08, 2014, 06:05 PM)

Lol.  Weird people.  Snorkels and parkas.  What can I say?  :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Snorkels and parkas.  What can I say?
Sounds like bubble wrap to me...

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 07:19 AM »
Snorkels and parkas.  What can I say?
Sounds like bubble wrap to me...
-cranioscopical (January 09, 2014, 10:53 PM)

Big bubble wrap is a prize on the street.  Almost like sleeping on an air mattress if it's the really large ones.  :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 12:50 PM »
Big bubble wrap is a prize on the street.  Almost like sleeping on an air mattress if it's the really large ones.  :)
I borrowed your expertise in this! I wrapped a sheet of bubble wrap around a 2'x2' solid foam core. Next, I sandwiched it between cardboard, then wrapped and sealed that in sturdy black plastic. Now an ice-hockey-going friend of mine has warm feet at the games.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 03:16 PM »
If you figure out how to do it economically that might be your key to luxury.  If you stuck a ludicrous pic on it for the kids, and made a "serious" one for the adults, you might be traveling the world opening new markets for it.  Just don't let the bubble pack people put the squeeze on you.  :)

Your first $million gross profit is on me.  But after that I want my 10% development commission.  I'll be the one devising the gimmicky marketing for it.  Maybe call it Hobo Hassock or something.  Depends if American slang translates into other markets.  :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 03:52 PM »
btw I may miss the deadline(not sure when that is) but this program will be working soon.  It will be no frills drag and drop with checkboxes for launch on lid open,close and optionally lock desktop on lid close.  Just boilerplate stuff but the entry is slow slogging compared to typing into a desktop.

There's a chance I may be able to take a class or 2 at Miami Dade College (if I don't miss that deadline for admissions) so I'm trying to get that going.  :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 05:10 PM »
There's a chance I may be able to take a class or 2 at Miami Dade College (if I don't miss that deadline for admissions) so I'm trying to get that going.  :)

best of luck with that Miles :up:
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 06:04 PM »

best of luck with that Miles :up:

Thank you.  It should be fun.  :)