topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: XMAS calendar giveaways...  (Read 7269 times)

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
XMAS calendar giveaways...
« on: December 04, 2013, 04:38 PM »
at this site http://www.mostiwant...ndar-2013-giveaways/

it's been running since the first and I'm surprised no one else has posted about it (someone here put me onto mostIwant).

today's giveaways includes a full version (v13.4) of XYPLORER...

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: XMAS calendar giveaways...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 05:38 AM »
Site is unorganized and full of fishy offers.  Maybe that's why it's gone unmentioned.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 04:52 PM »
fishy? how?

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 05:23 PM »
Whenever I visit a site that purportedly offers free software and it takes longer than a few minutes to figure out how to acquire it, it raises red flags.  For instance, was looking for XYPLORER and looked at least a couple of times but didn't find it and also, there are too many free offers on that site which usually means either jumping through hoops to get it or it's not really free as advertised.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

DonL

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • XYplorer File Manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 02:59 AM »
Just FYI: XYplorer never had any arrangement with that site. I never heard about it. XY had a 24 hour giveaway with a German site (which, alas, turned out to be equally poorly done and just a thick heap of ads :down:), but the site you mentioned obviously just wants to harvest some ad-cents while you click through it.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I just passed on the link in case it was of interest, it's up to the individual to decide whether or not they want to follow it up.

FWIW mostIwant appears to be an aggregate of free offers from other vendors (nothing fishy about that, most 'news' sites follow the same process), and I'm pretty sure chip.de is the site for a german electronics magazine (I don't read german, but somebody here can probably confirm).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 05:21 PM »
Yes, to my knowledge it is a decent and reputable computer magazine. Not sure if they still do printed issues, but you could buy these even in the Netherlands (and no, the languages of these two countries are not that similar) at the time I was still buying printed magazines.

c't is the best German computer magazine out there, as most of its articles are geared towards professionals in very diverse fields of computing, electronics, (specific parts of the) law, etc. They still translate their magazine to different languages, including Dutch.

It is actually made by the people behind one of 40Hz favorite websites (heisse.de).  :Thmbsup: