ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Migrating from Google Gmail.com to Microsoft Outlook.com

<< < (8/9) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Pretty much the same in the UK - in fact AIUI encrypted email (that can't be read by your email provider) is illegal in the UK.

So if, for example, you always write your emails as text documents, encrypt them and send them as attachments to someone you have shared a decryption method with you are breaking the law in the UK.

Ironically the same rules do not apply to Royal Snail Mail.

40hz:
Ironically the same rules do not apply to Royal Snail Mail.
-Carol Haynes (December 17, 2013, 03:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Clever on their part. Same goes here. Our government has been indulging in flights of legal fancy to establish a fundamental and wholly arbitrary distinction between things done in "real space" and things done in the digital world. Except where laws are concerned. In that case "If it's illegal here - it's illegal online too."

Who says it has to make sense - or for swords to cut both ways.

daddydave:
...I didn't appreciate how complicated it was to migrate a Gmail account to another Gmail account until I had to change my email address ...
-daddydave (December 12, 2013, 12:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm curious - why did you "have to" change your email address?    :tellme:
(I don't see why one would ever have to abandon an email address, unless it wasn't your personal one in the first place - e.g., under a corporate email domain name.)

-IainB (December 12, 2013, 02:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because my old email address was sending out spam, even though I could log into the account fine.

And yes, I realize the From: header is easily forged, but I wanted people to blacklist the old email address.

Sorry for the late response!

wraith808:
It was likely that your address was not... it was just someone spoofing your e-mail address.

If you could log into the account, and changed the password, then that's the likely culprit.  And changing your address wouldn't really do anything about that...

daddydave:
wraith, I knew it was spoofing and that I can't prevent that but I'd been able to get people to blacklist my old address, at least those people wouldn't be seeing that particular spam anymore. Unless the spammer followed me to the new email address, which didn't seem to happen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version