ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Migrating from Google Gmail.com to Microsoft Outlook.com

<< < (5/9) > >>

40hz:
I could be wrong so back things up first, but...
I think if you switch the settings in GMail to use IMAP, and then change the server settings in TBird to use the GMail IMAP servers, your folder hierarchy and existing message store should be preserved and replicate back up to GMail.
-40hz (December 13, 2013, 12:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that is how it seems to work - from my experience at any rate. Quite nifty really.
-IainB (December 13, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thx IainB! :)

It makes perfect sense it should since IMAP uses a synchronization rather than a "store and download/upload" approach.

But it's been a while since I made the switch. I didn't know if GMail had since changed anything, or placed restrictions or limits on shifting old accounts over.

tomos:
^^ thanks people for the IMAP info :up: :up:

IainB:
@40hz: I didn't know it worked like that until I was playing with the EverDesk client proggy recently - trialling it - and I was very surprised that this 2-way syncing seemed to be going on. It made things a bit slow sometimes, presumably moving large chunks of data back and forth when you changed something in the client email database (?), but I think the slowness might in part have been due to my having a relatively slow ADSL+ connection.

Carol Haynes:
GMail is quirky in its approach (like POP doesn't work the way it is supposed to) but IMAP seems to work fine.

The only real issue with GMail is privacy but then ANY email service is hosted by a provider somewhere (even if you pay for your own server at a data centre) so as far as I can see GMail are relatively honest about what they do (in their despicable way) - MS have just been despicable in the past and resisted being honest until caught - and anyway just because they say they don't automatically gather info from email and document contents today doubtless at some point when no one is looking there will be tiny change in T&Cs to allow them to do what they like.

Apple are probably worse than both but who really knows - just my opinion.

superboyac:
GMail is quirky in its approach (like POP doesn't work the way it is supposed to) but IMAP seems to work fine.

The only real issue with GMail is privacy but then ANY email service is hosted by a provider somewhere (even if you pay for your own server at a data centre) so as far as I can see GMail are relatively honest about what they do (in their despicable way) - MS have just been despicable in the past and resisted being honest until caught - and anyway just because they say they don't automatically gather info from email and document contents today doubtless at some point when no one is looking there will be tiny change in T&Cs to allow them to do what they like.

Apple are probably worse than both but who really knows - just my opinion.
-Carol Haynes (December 13, 2013, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
so for email services, which of the big three would you use?  for some reason, MS still has a better reputation for privacy than google, but why?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version