ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Migrating from Google Gmail.com to Microsoft Outlook.com

<< < (3/9) > >>

Vurbal:
Regardless of any ad network issues it's a known fact that Microsoft's datacenter links aren't encrypted which means the NSA has full access to them. We know that because just a month or 2 ago they announced they would be looking into encrypting them. Google OTOH encrypted their connections earlier this year when they discovered governments were accessing those pipes via arrangements with infrastructure providers.

Then again since Google doesn't provide anyone, including themselves a record of keywords used for ad matching I don't find the whole issue particularly troubling. There are lots of things that concern me about Google but that isn't one of them.

Given Microsoft's long and incredibly consistent history of making excuses about blatant security holes for years before finally fixing them they certainly wouldn't be a company I'd turn to if I wanted more privacy.

IainB:
...Given Microsoft's long and incredibly consistent history of making excuses about blatant security holes for years before finally fixing them they certainly wouldn't be a company I'd turn to if I wanted more privacy.
-Vurbal (December 12, 2013, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes. In terms of security/privacy, they're all probably about as bad as each other, with any differences likely to be marginal at best. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.
Public email servers and web-based email services in general would presumably tend to be in the same basket, with those that offer encryption apparently being driven out of business by the likes of the NSA or their counterparts in other countries (QED).

Stoic Joker:
...Given Microsoft's long and incredibly consistent history of making excuses about blatant security holes for years before finally fixing them they certainly wouldn't be a company I'd turn to if I wanted more privacy.
-Vurbal (December 12, 2013, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes. In terms of security/privacy, they're all probably about as bad as each other, with any differences likely to be marginal at best. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.
Public email servers and web-based email services in general would presumably tend to be in the same basket, with those that offer encryption apparently being driven out of business by the likes of the NSA or their counterparts in other countries (QED).-IainB (December 13, 2013, 02:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

While picking on the Email providers do keep in mind that SMTP is about as secure as a Snail Mail Post Card. Because that avenue of exposure has always existed...it's just being exploited by the best of the worst at this point.

wraith808:
While picking on the Email providers do keep in mind that SMTP is about as secure as a Snail Mail Post Card. Because that avenue of exposure has always existed...it's just being exploited by the best of the worst at this point.
-Stoic Joker (December 13, 2013, 06:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

That just gave me a new meaning for that acronym... Snail Mail To Post ;D

Carol Haynes:
If you are going to migrate from GMail why on earth would you choose Outlook.com - I use it with an old hotmail account occasionally and find the whole experience pretty unpleasant. Plus I trust Microsoft server maintenance even less than Google!

If you want to use the desktop Outlook why not just access GMail via IMAP - works pretty well here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version