ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Migrating from Google Gmail.com to Microsoft Outlook.com

(1/9) > >>

IainB:
Looks like this is now finally feasible, non-problematic and easy, thanks to a migration tool provided by Microsoft.    :Thmbsup:
The post (link below) from the Microsoft Outlook Blog explains it in detail. The other two posts are relevant for background for those of us who may feel themselves to be reluctant or locked-in captives of Gmail.    >:(

* Outlook Blog - Outlook.com makes it even easier to switch from Gmail
by Naoto Sunagawa, December 11 2013
Today, we are announcing a new service that makes it easier than ever to import your Gmail account to Outlook.com. This will be rolling out to everyone over the coming weeks, so if you don't have access to it yet, check back soon.
(Read the rest at the link.)

--- End quote ---

* The case against Gmail | ZDNet
By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | October 29, 2013
Summary: Gmail was a breath of fresh air when it debuted. But this onetime alternative is showing signs that it's past its prime, especially if you want to use the service with a third-party client. That's the way Google wants it, which is why I've given up on Gmail after almost a decade.

--- End quote ---

* How I switched from Gmail to Outlook.com (and how you can too)
By Ed Bott for The Ed Bott Report | October 31, 2013
Summary: So long, Gmail, it was nice knowing you. After nearly a decade, I've finally moved my personal email away from Google's service. If you're considering doing the same, here's a step-by-step guide to help you set things up the right way.

--- End quote ---

techidave:
and if one wants to move from Office 365 for education(Outlook) to Google apps for education (gmail), then is there something to help going the opposite direction?

IainB:
@techidave: There may well be a migration path from Office 365 for education(Outlook) to Google apps for education (gmail), but I wouldn't know, sorry.
I was specifically looking just at the the migration from Google Gmail.com to Microsoft Outlook.com.

techidave:
That's ok IanB.  I should have started a new thread.  I think Google does have some converters but not sure if they do for Office 365.  And maybe I don't want to go down that path, but we are looking at Google Apps and Chromebooks for our school. 

Finding the Office web apps on our office 365 for education portal is terribly difficult.  we don't need to use them as I have the desktop version installed on all of our machines.  I was looking at those students who cannot afford to have a new version of Office installed. 

So enter Google Docs.  they updated the Google spreadsheet yesterday so it does have more features.  Now if they would just do their Presentation app ...

tomos:
Looks like this is now finally feasible, non-problematic and easy, thanks to a migration tool provided by Microsoft.    :Thmbsup:
The post (link below) from the Microsoft Outlook Blog explains it in detail. The other two posts are relevant for background for those of us who may feel themselves to be reluctant or locked-in captives of Gmail.    >:(

* Outlook Blog - Outlook.com makes it even easier to switch from Gmail
by Naoto Sunagawa, December 11 2013
Today, we are announcing a new service that makes it easier than ever to import your Gmail account to Outlook.com. This will be rolling out to everyone over the coming weeks, so if you don't have access to it yet, check back soon.

--- End quote ---
-IainB (December 11, 2013, 11:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Doesnt seem to be implemented yet here (instructions are confusing, linking to my Outlook.com account where I cannot find anything) - will check again.
This helps:

If the link to run the import tool doesn't work

Here's another way to launch the tool.

SIgn in to your Outlook.com account.

Click the Options icon Options icon, and then click More mail settings.

Under Managing your account, click Import email accounts.

Click Google.
--- End quote ---

the "Import email accounts" doesnt exist here yet. So definitely not fully rolled out yet - will wait for this and try it out then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version