topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TaskPilot for task management?  (Read 7901 times)

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TaskPilot for task management?
« on: May 17, 2006, 03:59 PM »
I've been using TaskPilot for 30 days now, and hence it has just expired. I like the software, but before I shell out the 30 bucks for a license, I wanted to get some second opinions.

I don't really like PIMs, because they always screw up something that requires a compromise, so I'm interested in a dedicated task managent app. Here are my thoughts on TaskPilot:

PROS: Tons and tons of features, almost all of which are available via button, menu, or context menu. It even allows you to edit any of the viewable columns in the task display list, so if you edit a lot of tasks you can just stay on one window. I like all the views available (due this week, due today, overdue, etc.), and I like the fact that you can enter as much or as little information as you want about each task. It uses filters to display tasks, so you're not confined to always working within a particular folder. Skins! The list could go on...

CONS: Slow, somewhat clunky interface. It can be customized, and the skins and color options are a nice feature, but I often find myself watching as parts of the interface load one by one. And that's after the lengthy pause at the splash screen while it loads. Also, in order to display all of the relevant information about tasks, I find that the only practical window size is maximized. Otherwise you either see too few tasks (due to all the toolbars above and the editor below) or columns that are too skinny (since there are side panels that load on both sides). Luckily you can unpin the sidebars so they only slide out when you need them.

TaskPilot Pro has about twice the features as most of the other task management apps I've tried, so I am ready to accept its shortcomings unless there are better solutions anyone has found. Most decent task management programs always seem to be incorporated in a PIM, and there is always something I don't like about basically every PIM.

Other solutions I've tried and my comments:
  • Outlook (I don't like the email client very much, and that's not a compromise I'm willing to make in a piece of software based on email)
  • Barca (I really like Barca, but I already use PocoMail and like it without all the bulk of PIM features)
  • EssentialPIM Free/Pro (nice software, decent ui, though a bit too 'static' for my tastes. i prefer other calendar software)
  • Time & Chaos (This is also nice software, it's sort of an all-at-once view which seems decent, but I just couldn't get used to it)

There are others, but I cannot think of them off-hand. I'd appreciate hearing anyone elses experiences or preferences for task management. Thanks!

--
Ben M

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: TaskPilot for task management?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:06 PM »
As an addition, TaskPilot seems to use a "working" version of the database while it is open, so if it crashes before it can compact the database, you have to manually restore the temporary file or else you lose your changes.

There is an auto-backup feature which I found after my first crash (where I subsequently cleared my temp directory before realizing it). It's relatively safe set to something like 5 minutes. I don't know what else they could have done, but the thought of losing data due to clearing my temp directory is a little scary when I'm sometimes entering and changing several tasks per minute.

After reading my notes above I realized that I didn't add that information to the cons section, so just incase anybody's looking for details I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks!

Ben
--
Ben M

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 02:09 AM »
i am really looking forward to reading replies to this - let's get a nice task management thread going here, i could use some help deciding on this as well  :up:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 04:53 AM »
Zaine Ridling's review of ITSD Organizer may be relevant?

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 03:46 PM »
Yes, quite relevant. I've seen ITSD a few places online, but haven't paid it much attention. I'm going to give it a try and see what it can do. Thanks for the link!

Ben
--
Ben M

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 11:31 AM »
Yes, quite relevant. I've seen ITSD a few places online, but haven't paid it much attention. I'm going to give it a try and see what it can do.

I just took another look at zridling's review.  ITSD takes an awful lot of memory.

Babis

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 05:15 AM »
Hi. I have tried many shareware PIMs but left them after a week, as most of them were ram eaters and not offering many options, views etc. However I was keep looking as I really needed a competitive one, to have it on 24/7, to help me with my work.

My goal was to have a light calendar/organizer app, not consuming a lot of ram, with highly customizable options, such as display time/date in any format, daily-week-monthly views, hidden entries, password protected settings, ability to launch programs/documents, snooze options etc

After many installations/uninstallations, I finally found it and guess what - it is freeware. It is the “UK's Kalender”. The ram consumption is always less than 2 MB. The home page of this highly recommended program is: http://www.8ung.at/ukrebs/

As many fantastic freeware programs, this is not even listed in sites like download.com or betanews.com, in order people to try (and buy) shareware. However, believe me, if you are looking for a straight forward Calendar/PIM app, with many views, highly customizable, no need to look any further.

List of features
•   Automatic saving
Any changes to the database are automatically and immediately saved to disk. On every program start, a backup copy of your data file is created.
•   Unlimited Undo and Redo
Most changes can be undone and also repeated.
•   Minimize to the system tray
"UK's Kalender" minimizes into the system tray (the area next to the system clock).
•   Network support
"UK's Kalender" supports a shared event file, where every user can enter events that'll show up in each other user's calendar. For using the network functions it is neither required to install special server software nor to keep the computer with the shared event file permanently running. "UK's Kalender" will synchronize the local event file as soon as the shared event file is accessible.
•   Repeating events
There are lots of possibilities for entering repeating events, e.g. hourly, every three days, monthly, every first tuesday of the month or even every friday the 13th.
•   Forewarn time and snooze function
Each event can be assigned a user defined forwarn time in the range from one minute to several weeks. In the reminder dialog you can enter a time after that you'll be reminded again. Alternatively you can choose to be reminded again a certain time before the event.
•   Multi day events
Events can have a duration from one minute to several days (or no duration at all, but just a start date).
•   Event categories and templates
Events can be organized into categories, e.g. "Doctor", "Meeting", "Party" and so on. Each category is assigned a template of settings, including repetition rate and forewarn time.
•   Acoustic reminders
You can choose to be reminded of an event with a WAV file of your choice.
•   Event driven program execution and document opening
Documents or programs can be attached to an event. This is very handy for e.g. regular backup purposes.
•   Marking and hiding events
Special events may be either color marked or hidden.
•   Four event views
Events can be displayed in week-, fortnight-, month- or year-view.
•   Tooltips for events and todos
If you stop the mouse over a calendar date or a todo, extended info is shown for the events and todos.
•   Alarms can be deativated
Alarms may be deactivated all at once, so your game, film etc. won't be interrupted.
•   Highly configurable display for events and todos
All views can easily be configured to present the information just the way you want.
•   Search and filter functions
You can search for and filter out your events using keywords, categories, event states or date ranges. The filter function directly affects all output functions, so you can easily create e. g. a calendar only containing birthdays.
•   Clipboard support
Events and todos can be copied to the clipboard and may be pasted back to any word processor or "UK's Kalender" itself.
•   Export to HTML- and CSV-format
Events and todos can be exported to HTML-format in different views. With this you can easily print your dates and todos. Export to CSV-format allows the transfer of your data to a spreadsheet program. All activated filter options are applied to the output.
•   Holidays
Holidays for Gemany, Italy, France, UK, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Czech Republic, Poland, Israel, Canada and the USA can be displayed.

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Wow... one product which looks amazing is MyLife Organized. I haven't even used it yet, but plan on trying the demo today. the features and simplicity of it are very impressive. No bloat. It's kind of expensive though, especially the Professional edition. Anyone have any experiences they can share about MyLife Organized?
--
Ben M

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 02:16 PM »
I'm trying to test ITSD Organizer, but for some reason the installer won't open on my machine. The 'Setup' window shows up in the taskbar but that's as far as it'll get. Anyone else experience anything like this?
--
Ben M

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 04:31 PM »
Despite its quirks, I keep being drawn to TaskPilot. So I broke down and spent 30 bucks.

It seems to work substantially better since their last build, at least on my machine. It still takes a long time to load, but once it's up the interface generally responds instantly, or very close to it at least.

I don't know how interested anyone would be in seeing a full review of the software, but I'd be happy to write one for DonationCoder. It might be nice as a comparison to the review of ITSD on this site.

-Ben
--
Ben M

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 04:50 PM »
for MyLifeOrganized, see: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=2623.0

ben, a mini-review of taskpilot would be great - please do write one up if you are willing!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 08:22 PM »
I installed MyLifeOrganized a month or so back but I haven't been organized enough to try it yet. How's that for irony? ;) It looks/sounds extremely, extremely promising though. I really like the idea of it automatically prioritizing tasks and it seems to have a very good foundational concept in that it's trying to remove extraneous tasks from your list so you avoid task overload.

- Oshyan

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Honestly, downloading MyLife Organized and trying it out is what prompted me to purchase TaskPilot. I don't know why, but I felt like it would take too much work to actually use it to its full advantage, and I know exactly what you mean when you said you're not organized enough to try it, heh. It still does look amazing, and I might give it another go someday, but I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far.

I only wish the toolbars in TaskPilot were more customizable, but I'll get to that in my mini-review :)

-Ben
--
Ben M