topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Special Security Software Just for Women?  (Read 9881 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Special Security Software Just for Women?
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:25 AM »
Is special anti-malware software just for women, actually necessary? Do they get some sort of special pink malware decorated in lace, that I am unaware of, that normal anti-malware software can't handle? What happens if you install it on a man's PC?

Their main product looks a whole lot like Malwarebytes to me, so it begs the question, why not just use the tried & true Malwarebytes, instead?

And it's made by women just for women? They should be ashamed of themselves! We are not talking about a product like maxi pads or tampons here, which would be something only women would use, where that might make some sort of sense. We are talking about security software, which shouldn't be gender based.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Special Security Software Just for Women?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:36 AM »
The Neat Net Tricks software review panel looked at Chica-PC in 2012.  Two of the four reviewers were quite negative, including one who summed up by saying "I am not sure whether, in 2012, women have different tech security needs than men. I agree that there are people--both women and men--who feel uneasy with technology and would like a company that responds quickly when they have problems and does not offer technospeak, but in my experience ChicaLogic is not that company."

hollowlife1987

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Late last year, Panda Security released a Social Media Risk Index that shows Facebook was the leader in malware threats at 71.6 percent, YouTube came in at 41.2 percent and Twitter recorded a 51 percent risk for privacy violations.   And 33 percent of SMBs who typically have security technology in place for their users report financial losses to their business as a result of social media-based malware infection.   According to a new study from comScore, more women use social networking sites and spend more time on these sites than men do.  The study concluded that 76 percent of women spent time on social media sites compared with 70 percent of men, and women spent 5.5 hours a month on these sites compared to only 4 hours a month for men.

Found on Chicalogic press release

I can see their logic from a business aspect to use the same appeal for woman products with security software to try and get more users to actually use some protection.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:50 AM »
I heard it was Strong Enough for a Man, Made for a Woman. If you run that av it's no sweat from then on.  :)  But how it works is a secret.  ;)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:10 AM »
I heard it was Strong Enough for a Man, Made for a Woman. If you run that av it's no sweat from then on.  :)  But how it works is a secret.  ;)

;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Using Malwarebytes’s proven technology, ChicaPC-Shield™ was designed for women by employing straightforward language and processes to make installation and usability fast, simple and completely accessible.

translation: easy enough for a girl to understand it.

Hmm...and they really expect to garner support and win customers with a marketing concept that's both condescending and insulting?

I'll bet these guys  (you know they're guys) are really popular with the ladies and get invited to all the 'good parties' with an attitude like that.
 :-\

-------------------------

Note: showed the press release to my GF. She didn't say anything. But the expression on her face spoke volumes. :tellme:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:34 AM »
Is special anti-malware software just for women, actually necessary?

Anti-malware for men fix the problem and send you on your way.

Anti-mailware for women, however, explores the problem, discusses your feelings about how this problem affects you, and works with you towards a solution that will reaffirm your womanhood while letting you look stylish and fashion-forward while doing it.  8)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Late last year, Panda Security released a Social Media Risk Index that shows Facebook was the leader in malware threats at 71.6 percent, YouTube came in at 41.2 percent and Twitter recorded a 51 percent risk for privacy violations.   And 33 percent of SMBs who typically have security technology in place for their users report financial losses to their business as a result of social media-based malware infection.   According to a new study from comScore, more women use social networking sites and spend more time on these sites than men do.  The study concluded that 76 percent of women spent time on social media sites compared with 70 percent of men, and women spent 5.5 hours a month on these sites compared to only 4 hours a month for men.

I can see their logic from a business aspect to use the same appeal for woman products with security software to try and get more users to actually use some protection.

-hollowlife1987 (December 10, 2013, 09:26 AM)

6% more women use social networking sites and they stay on for an average of 1.5 hours longer per month than men.

Perhaps there is some logic in targeting their marketing of a gender neutral anti-malware a bit more specifically to women, but not the need to create an anti-malware just for women.

It's right up there with special ink pens for women (read the reviews!).

I'll bet these guys  (you know they're guys) are really popular with the ladies and get invited to all the 'good parties' with an attitude like that.
 :-\

Their About page makes it seem that nothing but women work for the company. In fact, it seems almost as if it may be a requirement to work there. I wonder if we will be hearing about a gender discrimination lawsuit in their future, when a fully qualified man applies for a job there, and is turned down.  :tellme:

Using Malwarebytes’s proven technology, ChicaPC-Shield™ was designed for women by employing straightforward language and processes to make installation and usability fast, simple and completely accessible.

So, it doesn't just look like Malwarebytes, it is Malwarebytes? Is the regular Malwarebytes that difficult that it needs a dumbed down version, for anyone?

Note: showed the press release to my GF. She didn't say anything. But the expression on her face spoke volumes. :tellme:

I bet it's the same expression as on my face, the one I usually wear when I see unnecessarily genderized products, like higher priced, inferior quality, pink microscopes in the toy stores, as if girls can't use the better quality, lower cost, black ones.

I have a good mind to send a link to this site (and this thread) to Sociological Images.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 11:02 AM »

I bet it's the same expression as on my face, the one I usually wear when I see unnecessarily genderized products, like higher priced, inferior quality, pink microscopes in the toy stores, as if girls can't use the better quality, lower cost, black ones.

Possibly. ;D

For the record, her eyes slowly got about an eighth of an inch larger than usual as she read, and then became about a sixteenth of an inch narrower than usual after she finished. Nothing else on her face changed so much as a fraction.

(Her facial expressions are infinitely nuanced and subtle. I suspect she could go through her life without speaking at all, yet still communicate quite clearly. ;))

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 12:36 PM »
Anti-mailware for women, however, explores the problem, discusses your feelings about how this problem affects you, and works with you towards a solution that will reaffirm your womanhood while letting you look stylish and fashion-forward while doing it.

i know i shouldn't have laughed, but i couldn't help myself.  :P

however, in fairness, i think your description of anti-malware for men might be more accurately described thusly:

"Anti-malware for men:  $25 for basic anti-malware, but for only $200 extra you can get path-programmable lasers; or an extra $25 on top of that for extra power lasers.  Add another $50 for extreme-effect audible alerts.  Or buy the Master-Defender Elite Lifetime Edition for only $500."

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 01:04 PM »
@Mouser - I was thinking more along the lines of:

Mulan DISAPPOINTMENT.png

[Voiceover] Does YOUR performance* leave HER wanting MORE?

*as her malware swatter.

;D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 03:53 PM »
i know i shouldn't have laughed, but i couldn't help myself.  :P

That's the reaction I went for...I wanted to put forth something ridiculous, but use marketing buzzwords to do it. Sadly, lots of things are advertised like this.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 05:37 PM »
Late last year, Panda Security released a Social Media Risk Index that shows Facebook was the leader in malware threats at 71.6 percent, YouTube came in at 41.2 percent and Twitter recorded a 51 percent risk for privacy violations.   And 33 percent of SMBs who typically have security technology in place for their users report financial losses to their business as a result of social media-based malware infection.   According to a new study from comScore, more women use social networking sites and spend more time on these sites than men do.  The study concluded that 76 percent of women spent time on social media sites compared with 70 percent of men, and women spent 5.5 hours a month on these sites compared to only 4 hours a month for men.

-hollowlife1987 (December 10, 2013, 09:26 AM)

So in other words, women get their malware from "0MG FACEB00K HAX! LOLZ!" (read: forgot to log out and your friend/relative made a post on your account) and just need to have their privacy/security settings explained to them.

Whereas men get their malware from pr0n sites and need more discrete support. Isn't it interesting that even in the digital age you're still fairly certain to get a virus of some sort?

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Isn't it interesting that even in the digital age you're stupid people are still fairly certain to get a virus of some sort?

I took the liberty of fixing that for you, kind sir.  :Thmbsup:

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 12:28 PM »
"Anti-malware for men:  $25 for basic anti-malware, but for only $200 extra you can get path-programmable lasers; or an extra $25 on top of that for extra power lasers.  Add another $50 for extreme-effect audible alerts.  Or buy the Master-Defender Elite Lifetime Edition for only $500."

I want this anti-malware! (screw that one for women) Do you think we can get some free licenses for the Master-Defender Elite Lifetime Edition to give away in a drawing?  :D