topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshot Captor and DCUpdater Problem  (Read 7591 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screenshot Captor and DCUpdater Problem
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:16 PM »
Hi Mouser!

I posted in the DCUpdater forum a week and a half ago but no one seems to look at that forum, so I figured I'd post the issue here.

Here's a link to that post: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=30528.msg330577#msg330577

DCUpdater stopped updating my DC apps a while ago - not sure exactly when it stopped. Apparently it was after one of the fairly recent SSC updates.  When it finally did appear on my screen with an update a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that there is a new setting for it right on the main screen: it says to only look for updates to Screenshot Captor with a checkbox next to it, and the checkbox is always selected. (I have deselected it several times but it is always checked again when I take a look.) When I first found it and deselected it DCUpdater found a slew of updates that I was missing!

Obviously this particular version of DCUpdater is coded somewhere to always check that box and thus only look for updates to SSC and nothing else. This is not a good thing since I have a lot of DC programs installed that had been using DCUpdater to retrieve updates. I did find another instance of DCUpdater installed but it seems that they never run anymore. Only the SSC-specific version runs at Windows startup, while the normal version used to start automatically. Did this crippled (IMO) version replace the normal version in the startup folder?

Anyway, I guess my real question is how do I get the normal version of DCUpdater to run and do away with this goofy SSC version? I say that with the presumption that the "normal" version will find updates to SSC along with the rest of my DC apps. True?

Oh, one other little issue: DCUpdater keeps reporting that there is a different version of the Easy Screencast program on the web but it shows an older version than what is already installed. I would post more details but I am posting this from an iPad and I will no doubt loose this entire post if I try to go back and look at my other post!

Thanks!

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor and DCUpdater Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:39 AM »
DCUpdater stopped updating my DC apps a while ago - not sure exactly when it stopped. Apparently it was after one of the fairly recent SSC updates.  When it finally did appear on my screen with an update a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that there is a new setting for it right on the main screen: it says to only look for updates to Screenshot Captor with a checkbox next to it, and the checkbox is always selected. (I have deselected it several times but it is always checked again when I take a look.) When I first found it and deselected it DCUpdater found a slew of updates that I was missing!

if you start dcupdater from a particular programme it will only search for updates only for that app. AFAIK this has always been the case. So, I guess the question is how it appeared on your screen? :)
My experience (see link below) was that it had stopped working for at least a couple of months - I presume it's still broken, but dont know for sure...

DCUpdater stopped updating my DC apps a while ago - not sure exactly when it stopped.
related -
DCupdater no longer checking for updates (I think)
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Hi Tom.

if you start dcupdater from a particular programme it will only search for updates only for that app. AFAIK this has always been the case.

I don’t start dcupdater from any DC program; according to Process Explorer it is started directly from Chameleon Startup Manager.  (Which replaces my startup "folder") And Chameleon starts it from C:\Program Files (x86)\Dcupdater\

I checked the dcupdater.ini file and I can't find anything in there that appears to limit updates to SSC. But that is exactly what dcupdater is doing!

So end result is that I have to check my DC programs for updates manually. Kinda sucks to be tossed back to the days before dcupdater! Oh well... I guess mouser has other plans.

Thanks!

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 05:56 PM »
I'm sorry that i've been delayed replying.. Just scrambling to catch up on stuff..

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 06:57 PM »
There is a folder here- C:\ProgramData\DonationCoder\DcUpdater on my computer. ProgramData is a hidden folder. The c\users\name\documents has the DonationCoder ini file though. Don't know if that helps any.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:05 PM »
I don’t start dcupdater from any DC program; according to Process Explorer it is started directly from Chameleon Startup Manager.

if you run it manually from start menu, then what do you see and how does it perform?

This is a real giveaway:
When it finally did appear on my screen with an update a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that there is a new setting for it right on the main screen: it says to only look for updates to Screenshot Captor with a checkbox next to it

Let me tell you what i think is happening -- at least partially:

The newer versions of screenshot captor (and all my new releases) now have an option to "check for updates at startup".

It sounds like your copy of Screenshot Captor is the one starting on startup -- thats why its got that "screenshot captor" only checkbox (perhaps in ADDITION to the standalone dcupdater check, which might be causing trouble..).

Go into your screenshot captor options and turn off the check for updates on startup option, since you will be using dc updater as a standalone update checker.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Hi mouser.

I don’t start the updater from the start menu; I have Chameleon Startup Manager start it directly from the Program Files folder.

I checked SSC and it did  indeed have Check for Updates at Startup selected, so I deselected it. I opened dcupdater (which had been open but minimized to the notification tray) and it still had the checkbox and SSC selected. So I exited out of dcupdater completely and restarted it. Now it doesn’t have the checkbox option anymore. Whew!

Here's the thing, though: I didn't change my SSC update settings. It has either always been configured to check on startup or that was recently introduced and is auto-selected upon installation.

Either way, dcupdater has never appeared that way, with the "Check only for SSC Updates" right in the front window.

Thanks for the solution!

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:50 PM »
or that was recently introduced and is auto-selected upon installation.

it IS a relatively new feature.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:03 PM »
Hey mouser...   It's Baaaack!

Dcupdater is once again only checking for updates to SSC. That same checkbox has appeared directing that it check only for SSC updates, so that is exactly what it is doing. Again like last time I can deselect that box all I want but it returns again the next time I enter that window. I don’t even have to exit dcupdater and restart it; if I just switch to the "Available for installation" tab and then back to the "Installed Packages" tab right away the box is checked again.

Last time you suggested that I make sure to deselect the "Check for updates" feature in SSC's Preferences and that seemed to fix it. But that is still not selected yet dcupdater is insistent on checking only for SSC updates.

Has there been another change in SSC recently that might be causing this?

Thanks for any advice!

Jim