ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I have been pwned

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
I am one of the 153,962,421 people who has been "pwned" via Adobe by hackers.
It only takes a couple of seconds to check if you too have been "pwned":
Go to haveibeenpwned and type in your email address, and the answer is ready!

First go to gizmo at http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/are-your-details-among-154-million-stolen-accounts-check-instantly.htm to get the proper haveibeenpwned link, and instructions on what to do if you too have had your email address and log-in details stolen via Adobe :

This is the answer you don't want to get:

Are Your Details Among 154 Million Stolen Accounts? Check Instantly
Updated 8. December 2013 - 4:23 by rob.schifreen

There's been a number of high-profile system hacks over the past couple of years, against companies such as Yahoo, Adobe and Sony.  In hacker terminology, these accounts are now owned, or "pwned", by the attackers, which means that the usernames, passwords and email addresses behind them can be used for illicit purposes.

Hackers often like to publicise their discoveries, and the databases of hacked, stolen passwords were uploaded for all to see.  This allowed the people behind a rather useful website to create a searchable copy of the list, so that you can check whether your details appear on a list of some 154 million stolen online accounts and email addresses.

To find out whether your details do indeed appear on any of those stolen lists, just head to haveibeenpwned and type in your email address on the home page.  If that address is among any of the lists of stolen accounts, you'll be warned straight away.

If you do get informed that your details were among those stolen, your next course of action depends on whether the password you used on that system was unique.  If it was, log into that system and change the password as soon as you can.  Or delete the account entirely.  More importantly, if you used the same password on other sites, you need to change your password on all of those sites too.  Assuming it's not too late and a hacker hasn't already done it for you.
-techsupportalert
--- End quote ---
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/are-your-details-among-154-million-stolen-accounts-check-instantly.htm

Innuendo:
First, some would argue that with Adobe's strange policies, weird non-standard UIs, and exorbitant pricing that Adobe pwned their customers long before any hackers came along.

Second, while the steps you outlined are a good start, they are unfortunately just the start of the battle. You are going to want to contact the three credit card reporting agencies (Experian, TransUnion, and EquiFax) to flag your credit reports. You're then going to want to contact your bank(s) and all of your credit card issuers so they can flag your accounts there as well. If you're extra cautious/paranoid you may want to consider subscribing to one of the many credit monitoring/identity protection services that will help you detect any impending fraud as quickly as possible. There may be other things you will want to do as time goes on to tweak the process, but getting those flags in place are the first line of defense towards protecting your identity, your credit rating, and your bank account.

When a security breach like this happens, it's rarely told what the gap of time is between when the incident occurred and when it was detected & reported. Who knows how much time the hackers had to sift through that data and start using it before the whistle was blown on them?

I used to work for one of the largest credit card processors in the world. If you knew what I knew about credit cards you'd never use one again.  ;D

TaoPhoenix:
That's useful Curt.

So far my accounts are safe! ... So far!

MilesAhead:

I used to work for one of the largest credit card processors in the world. If you knew what I knew about credit cards you'd never use one again.
--- End quote ---

"Laws are like sausages, it is better not to see them being made."

Otto von Bismarck

I guess we should amend this to:
"Credit cards are like laws  and sausages, it is better not to know how they're made."

Stoic Joker:
That's only because they're not making sausage out of a lawyer ... Then everybody would want to watch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version